main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] It's a Drabble! (12/31: "The Giving of Thanks" (Guardians of the Galaxy))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Admiral Drabblar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Apt title and good drabble.

2. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: The Accursed Sphere
    Fandom: Dark Shadows

David Collins sat with his head down on his desk, just staring at the black sphere in front of him. From the corner of his eye, he saw a hand reaching for the sphere, but he smacked it away.

"Ow!" yelled Amy Jennings. "What did you do that for?"

"You mustn't touch it," David told her. ""It was cursed by some old gypsy count!"

"There's no such thing as gypsy counts." She grabbed the Magic 8 Ball and stepped out of David's reach, then shook it. "'Mwahaha! I have you now!' What's that supposed to mean?"

"I told you so."

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Oh, poor Amy.

4. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Speckled Mind
    Fandom: Sherlock

Mycroft leaned against the railing and stared out across the Thames. "Miss Hooper, has my brother blathered on at you about his 'mind palace' nonsense?"

"He's told me about it, if that's what you mean," Molly replied. She stayed back by the sliding glass doors, well away from the balcony's edge. "I thought you were like him, though? All about the orderly mind and everything?"

"Exactly. Have you ever spent time in a palace? It's all intrigues and backstabbing, just what I don't want inside my mind."

Molly said, "I can't tell if you're making a joke or not."

"Quite."

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The last two lines were really just the best. :p

Once again, you really have a knack for capturing characters' voices. That was a great snippet. =D=

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love Molly trying to deal with the other Holmes brother :p

7. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Cheers. A bit less dialogue in this one.

Title: By the Nose
    Fandom: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Buffy rolled under the demon's immense, wobbling jowls and leaped right back to her feet. Seeing she was right where she wanted to be, she punched straight up with both fists, one into each monstrous nostril. Instead of pulling them back down, she shoved forward, overbalancing the demon's head.

Just as the whole thing was about to come crashing down on top of her, Buffy pulled her hands out and dodged to the side. She braced for another attack, but none came. She shrugged triumphantly, and then finally noticed her hands and the thick, green fluid dripping from them.

"Yecch!"

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Eewwwwww poor Buffy! This isn't exactly a glamorous job.

9. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Tiniest Advantage
    Fandom: Modesty Blaise

Modesty mentally sized up the two costumed figures racing toward her. Both were large men with strong builds, but they appeared uncomfortable in their outfits. It wasn't much of an advantage, she knew, but she also recognized that even such a tiny help could make all the difference in the universe.

As the two men came within arms' reach of her, Modesty dropped down and lashed out with her foot at the smaller of the pair - though he was still much larger than she - and caught him right at the knee. Before he fell, she swung him toward his partner.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting! I've never heard of this fandom, but I'm very interested in a character who can recognize such a small weakness and take advantage of it.

11. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    It was a long-running - almost forty years - British comic strip. There were also some novels and a few stabs at film adaptations, but I've mainly just been slowly (off-and-on over the past couple years) working my way through the collected editions as I can get them from the library.

Title: Spin Out
    Fandom: Blake's 7

"Yes," Avon said, "I've read the coroner's report. It wasn't the most grounded work of fiction I've read. It lacked a certain verisimilitude."

At the back, Vila muttered, "I'll need to look that word up later."

"It means believability, "Avon explained. "Anyone who swallows the idea that this was a suicide is a more gullible idiot than Vila on his worst day. No offence."

"Some taken."

Avon continued, "My point is that it's rather difficult to stab oneself in the back repeatedly and then decapitate oneself post mortem. But, if anyone wants to try to prove me wrong, feel free."

12. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Beanie Baby
    Fandom: Space Ghost Coast to Coast

"Hello, little boy. I'm Space Ghost."

"Yes, I know," replied Zorak. "We've known each other for- whatever. I'm outta here." He started to remove the propeller beanie he'd been forced to wear. The moment it came off his head, though, Space Ghost raised his weapon.

Zorak quickly put the beanie back on.

Space Ghost looked around in confusion. "Young man, did you see a giant mantis just now?"

"Are you serious?" Zorak asked. "Can you genuinely not tell who I am when I'm wearing this?"

"I can see that you're a small child."

Zorak laughed. "I'm never taking this off."

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Weaponimals
    Fandom: Archer

Dr. Krieger insisted, "Lots of animals have been weaponized before! Sheep, cows, just tons of farm animals in general. Dolphins!"

"Don't be an idiot," replied Archer. "Dolphins don't live on farms."

"I meant that dolphins have been-"

Archer interrupted, "Because they need water, duh!"

"Will you stop your yammering!" his mother yelled.

"But I'm not the one who thinks that dolphins grow on farms!""

"Anyway, as I was saying," Krieger continued, "there's a long history of turning animals into walking weapons."

"Something else dolphins never do!" shouted Archer. "Because they don't have feet! Double duh! Who's the idiot now? You!"

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I always say that proper grammar is important :p

15. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Oddo Odo
    Fandom: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Quark loped across the promenade as quickly as he could. "Captain Sisko! Captain!" he yelled. "Odo's gone mad! Insane!"

Sisko turned around slowly to face him. "Whatever he's done now, I support my security chief completely."

"Really?" asked Quark. "Even when he's doing that?" He pointed up at the promenade's second level. There, Odo was running from person to person, threatening to arrest anyone who didn't know the words to some obscure Bajoran children's ballad. And he'd shapeshifted out of his uniform and into full frontal nudity.

"Not again. Quark, run before I figure out how this is your fault."

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love Sisko's trust in his security officer :p

17. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Conduct Unbecoming
    Fandom: House of Cards (UK)

"And then there are the people who, try as you might, just don't seem to grasp the rules of the game."

"Chief Whip, it's not," the man was saying, "like I was caught with a prostitute or something!"

"Quite," Urquhart agreed. "Because we'd know how to deal with that, believe me. Probably half of the House of Commons have been known to visit the odd knocking shop. But what kind of a grown man attends a gathering dedicated to a defunct children's show?"

The man raised his chin defiantly. "This kind."

"Do you see what I mean? Hopeless, utterly hopeless."

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The Odo one seems a bit odd given he can't even do a face.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love this :D Prostitutes they can deal with, but not an uber fan :p

20. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Of course Odo can do a face. He just can't do one well.

Title: Natalie Teeger and the Latest Obsession
    Fandom: Monk

"Ours is a true love, one deeper than a heartless fiend like you could possibly ever understand."

Natalie just managed not to laugh out loud at Julie's use of the word heartless. "And you're sure he feels the same way?" she asked.

Julie replied, "Just because Mr. Monk doesn't broadcast his emotions as much as some-" - all, Natalie mentally corrected her - "people, it doesn't mean he doesn't have them."

"And yet," Natalie calmly pointed out, "you still call him Mr. Monk. What do you think he would do if he saw your little shrine? He'd organize the pictures, that's what."

21. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    You might think that I enjoyed reading the House of Cards one. You might think that--but I couldn't possibly comment.

22. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    I've spent much of the past week looking for excuses to work that into conversation. I've managed it a couple times.

Title: The Good Defense
    Fandom: Star Trek

Captain Kirk tossed his phaser into the trees and grabbed a blade from one of the fallen Klingons. The three still standing grinned and began edging closer. Suddenly, two charged, and he had to give ground as he kept parrying their weapons with his. He was sure they were toying with him, trying to tire him out before going for the kill.

Meanwhile, the third slipped around to where Kirk's phaser had gone. He was only a few feet away when the overload Kirk had programmed caused it to explode.

"Treacherous cur!" spat one of the surviving pair.

"Who? Me?"

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Love Kirk :D Sneaky, sneaky!

24. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]! Ah, Kirk. :p That was a great snippet! =D=

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, Jim [face_laugh] The nerfherder [face_laugh] [face_mischief] =D=