main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] It's a Drabble! (12/31: "The Giving of Thanks" (Guardians of the Galaxy))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Admiral Drabblar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks. I wrote this one a couple weeks ago, and it was the next in queue to get posted anyway, but it feels fitting to post an Avengers drabble today.

Title: Cold Comfort
    Fandom: The Avengers

A small note fell into the bowl with the Frosted Flakes. Emma fished it out and unfolded the paper. "Mrs. Peel, we're needed. Wear something warm."

The helicopter touched down on a pad about a hundred yards from the base, the rotors kicking up enough snow to obscure Emma's view of the outside world. "Steed," she said, "I don't think that your warning was sufficient to convey just where we were going."

He stepped out first and helped her down from the craft. "It's a bit off the beaten track, I admit. Just think of it as an arctic vacation!"

2. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Peace Doctors
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: War

The Councillor nodded toward the monitor. "Would you really surrender your own existence to become him?"

"In a universe where this wretched war never happened?" the Doctor replied. "Yes! In a heartsbeat!"

"But he's talking of marrying a... human!" The Councillor shuddered.

"So what?"

"Keep watching." Soon, the Daleks appeared; even without the war, they plotted to destroy the universe.

And then this alternative Doctor died, suddenly, unnecessarily. Followed within moments by his next three selves. "Don't care. I'd give all my lives to undo this war!"

"Would you do this?" Onscreen, the Doctor regenerated again, into a woman.

"Gladly!"

3. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    `Title: History's in the Making
    Doctor: Fifth

The Doctor stepped up to the observation deck's transparent outer wall and watched the first ships leaving the station. "I know when we are, Tegan." He glanced back at her, grinning madly. "This is one of my favourite periods in human history."

"But we're not in history," Tegan replied. "We're in the future."

"Tegan, we're in your future, but every past is also a future." After a moment, he added, "And vice versa."

She shrugged. "I'll take your word for it."

"That's your species out there, beginning its spread across the galaxy!" He peered more closely. "Or possibly the Vaulani."

4. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Undeserving
    Fandom: Torchwood

"Do you really think he deserved to die?" Gwen asked, more loudly than she meant to.

"Speaking philosophically?" wondered Jack. He sat back, put his feet up on the conference table, and gestured toward a chair.

Gwen remained standing in the doorway. "Speaking however you want. Just answer the question."

"Then yes. Maybe not today, but yes," he said. "Every living thing dies, Gwen. And with one very handsome exception, it's permanent. So the real question is why you think this guy deserves to be an exception to that rule."

Now Gwen did sit down. "Actually, I mainly meant today."

5. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Pumped Up
    Fandom: Jurassic World
    Spoilers: Minorish

Coach Andersen shook his head. "Miss Dearing, if you want to participate in track, you have to wear the proper shoes."

"These are proper!" insisted Claire.

"Forget it. You'll never convince her." Karen, Claire's older sister, leaned against the fence a few yards away. "I've tried. Our parents have tried...."

Coach Andersen replied, "State regulations say we can't let her run in high heels."

"That's discrimination!" Claire shouted. "What if, years down the line, I have to run quickly with little or no warning?"

"You should at least let her try out in the heels," said Karen. "She is fast."

Tarsier likes this.
  6. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The White Stuff
    Doctor: Twelfth

The Doctor and Clara sat at opposite sides of the table, their legs and torsos strapped to their chairs. Their arms were free, but nothing was within reach. Then hatches in the table opened, and two bowls rose out.

Clara grabbed her bowl and looked inside. "What's that?"

"Frosting," answered the Cyberman. "Eat."

The Doctor said, "We need spoons, dummy."

"We have heard about the Doctor and spoons. Use your fingers."

Clara scooped some out and tasted it. "That's disgusting. What's in there?"

"You've watched Cybermen die," replied the Doctor. "Remember that white gunge that leaks out? Yeah, basically that."

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  7. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Off Track
    Doctor: Twelfth

The Doctor pushed past Clara and sat in the seat nearest the monitor. "We just wait for the movie to begin?" he asked.

"As soon as you're ready, we'll start," explained the intern. He held headphones out for the Doctor and Clara.

"What are these for?" the Doctor demanded.

Clara took her own seat. "So you can hear the film while you're talking, silly."

"During the movie? Isn't that rather rude?"

"We're recording a commentary track." Clara said.

The intern added, "Just give your opinions and anecdotes about the movie."

"I have one: People should be quiet while watching it!"

Admiral Volshe and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Narrow Escape
    Fandom: Indiana Jones

Without hesitating, Indy threw himself into a narrow trench that cut across the corridor's floor. Fortunately, it was several feet deep but barely wide enough for him to roll onto his back. A few seconds later, the serpent flew over him, not even slowing down. Even so, it seemed to take several agonizing minutes for its entire body to pass.

Eventually, once the serpent was long gone, he pulled himself out and assessed what had happened. Just the thought of how close he'd been to that giant flying snake made him shudder more than he had while going through it.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Eww, that sounds like Indy's worst nightmare (and mine!).

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Yuck! I would have been right there in that trench with Indy! Whew!

11. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: Outside the Box
    Fandom:Despicable Me

Gru stood tall and shouted to the ceiling, "Have you forgotten who I am? I am Gru! I am the greatest villain ever! I will not play by your petty rules, box lid writer!" He cackled almost a minute before falling back into his chair.

Margo shook her head. "How are we supposed to have a fun game of Monopoly if you don't play by the same rules we do?"

"Since when," Gru wondered quietly, "has Monopoly ever been a fun game?"

Edith declared, "Yeah! We should play how we want! Burn down the hotels!"

Gru suddenly stopped. “Absolutely not!”

Admiral Volshe and Tarsier like this.
  12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] I loved this one. Gru and the girls and Monopoly - yeah, it would probably go much like that. :p

=D=

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] This is probably my favorite! I second Mira; that is totally how Gru and Monopoly would go :D

14. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank you. I watched the movies for the first time over the 4th of July weekend and wrote that between the two.

Title: The Beat Goes On
    Fandom: Sapphire & Steel

"Time," announced Steel, "is not merely a medium through which we travel!" Around him, he heard the snapping of fingers. "A line, a fourth dimension no more harmful than breadth, depth, and height," he continued.

"It is a force of nature, and a malevolent one at that! It is an implacable foe bent on the total destruction of life!" More snapping followed, and even brief shouts of agreement. But, Steel noted, nobody moved. He couldn't sense emotion as well as Sapphire could've done, but he strongly suspected that nobody was even alarmed.

If only he'd realized they weren't really there.

15. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Exempted!
    Fandom: Judge Dredd / Doctor Who (7)

The Judge aimed his Lawgiver directly between the man's eyes. "If I don't recognize your exemption, then it doesn't exist! You got me?"

"I got you," the little man replied calmly. Too calmly.

"Stand down, rookie!" Everyone except the man with the gun to his head turned at the sound of that voice: Judge Joe Dredd had arrived. "This person has just about every exemption known to man and a few more besides."

"Thank you," the man replied. "I'm sure I-"

Dredd added, "Doesn't mean you have to like it. Get out of here, Doctor, before I change my mind."

16. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Near Mythical
    Fandom: World of Warcraft

"Dragons are, of course, a myth."

Pelly peered up from her book at the being in front of her; even if she hadn't already known, his elven visage couldn't hide the blue power he emanated. She replied, "Says the dragon."

"I didn't mean we weren't real. Obviously we are. We can be real and mythical as well." He glanced around the chamber. "Can't we?"

He reached out; a book leapt from a shelf and flew into his outstretched hand. After a few seconds of reading, he declared. "It's hardly fair if you give your words multiple, only somewhat differentiated meanings."

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] This dragon is clearly a word nerd :D

18. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: The Wrong Case
    Fandom: Archer

"Clean out your ears, Lana!" yelled Archer. "I didn't say this was someone else's suitcase. I just said it was the wrong one. This is my 'impromptu Caribbean getaway' suitcase. Unless you come up with something fast, I'm going to be breaking into a secured lab in my lucky Speedo!"

"What kind of a mall has no store that sells black turtlenecks?" Archer complained yet again.

The clerk replied, "It's June and a hundred degrees outside."

"It's June and almost two hundred degrees out there, Lana!" shouted Archer. "Duh!"

She shot back, "Lucky you have the Speedo then, isn't it?"

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Security cams catching a dude breaking in with a speedo 8-}

20. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Phialled Down
    Doctor: Second

Jamie met the Doctor by the base's exit and held up the box of empty phials. "Will these do?" he asked.

"Excellent!" The Doctor clapped excitedly before he took the box. He carefully searched and selected three, then handed the box back to Jamie. "These will do nicely," he said, pocketing the phials.

"What do you have in mind, Doctor?" wondered Jamie. "Some sort of experiment?"

"After a fashion."

He followed the Martians' footprints across the snow. Soon, he slipped the phials over three of his fingers and began clinking them together. "Ice Warriors," he sang, "come out and play!"

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I feel like this could be a bad idea ...

22. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Convincing Oneselves

"Do you know how many of the Laws of Time you're breaking?" asked the Doctor. All of them. Eleven different Doctors, eleven different eras, one verbatim reaction.

So the disembodied voice gave them all the same answer: "All of them." At that point, their reactions differed, with a couple jumping up to help but most continuing to argue the point.

So he berated. He cajoled. He picked apart all the flaws of his past selves; he knew them all intimately. Eventually, they all came around, with one exception.

The Fourth Doctor grinned widely. "I could listen to you for hours."

23. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    This one came to me while playing Doctor Who: Legacy one day.

Title: The Doctors' Legacy
    Doctors: First, Eleventh

The Doctor gazed around the unfamiliar console room at his future incarnations and the varied companions and allies they'd acquired on their recent travels. Most he didn't recognize, but his later selves seemed to.

Another Doctor, gangly with unruly hair, leaned over and whispered, "Are we building our own army? I've been accused of doing that before, and it wasn't true at all. But look at all these people! Men, women, and aliens massed together to serve our ends. Who are we to do that?"

The Doctor snorted and got away from this other self as quickly as he could.

24. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Rolling Spheres
    Doctor: Third

The Doctor rolled under Kraf's swing and slammed both hands into the Sontaran general's chest. The concentrated power of the Doctor's Venusian aikido sent Kraf flying backward, into the side of his landing sphere. The craft started rolling; it soon hit two other spheres, destabilising them as well. By the time Kraf pulled himself to his feet, all fifteen of the landing spheres were rolling about, and one smacked him back down less than a second later.

The Doctor removed an imaginary speck from his velvet jacket and walked away. Until he too was run over by an errant sphere.

25. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: A Kick in the Pants
    Fandom: Farscape

John Crichton leapt to his feet and shouted, "This is the moment when you need to rise to the challenge, pull yourselves up by your bootstraps, step up to the Peacekeepers and let them know you're willing to go toe-to-toe with them!" As he spoke, he pointed at various Orzoan councilors. "Now," he concluded, "who's gonna stand with me? Huh? Huh?"

The Council Chair wagged a tentacle. "Why do you use some many foot and leg idioms when you're the only being on this world with legs?"

"Fine," Crichton snapped. "My bad. Which of you jellyfish will hover with me?"