main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] It's a Drabble! (12/31: "The Giving of Thanks" (Guardians of the Galaxy))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Admiral Drabblar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] This is an awesome mental image :D

2. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank you.

Title: The Deepest Cut
    Fandom: Firefly

"All we know for sure," Simon said, "is that the Alliance have River and that someone who was on this ship helped them."

"Why would one of us help them do that?" Kaylee asked, tears streaming.

"The transmission I intercepted mentioned a 'deep operative.'"

Mal spat out a short burst of Mandarin. "Zoe and me met a couple during the war. If it's deep enough, you may not even know."

"I know I didn't do it," said Wash. "And I know Zoe didn't."

Zoe took a step away from him. "No, you don't, dear. We weren't together the whole time."

The opening sentence there is the premise for the Firefly edition of Clue. One of the crew helps the Alliance abduct River right off the ship, and there's only a 1/6 chance it's Jayne. This could be a fun limited challenge, with each participant getting a suspect, location and weapon, though I think the first rule would be to prohibit the scenario above and to require that the traitor knew what he or she was doing.

Admiral Volshe and Tarsier like this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew, that's quite the tricky quandary they're facing! [face_worried] The plot for this drabble is such a great premise that I'm regretting that it's only a hundred words - which really comes back to your skill for saying so much with so little, which is brilliant. =D=

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I second Mira! That's very interesting :D

5. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: The Unwise Crack
    Fandom: Jurassic Park

"Maybe a dino ate your baby," Danny taunted, giggling.

Nobody else in the room laughed. Danny's brother, Charlie, said, "You joke, but that's actually a thing that happens around here."

"Sorry," Danny stammered, trying to back away from what he'd said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, uh..."

Charlie told him, "You're not the first to try out that quip. Most of us felt compelled to make some kind of joke when we first moved to Isla Nublar however many weeks or months or years ago. But after it happens two or three times, you won't feel like ridiculing anymore."

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeesh, that sounds awful! I don't think I'd want to work there ...

7. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Lost Several Weekends... and Weekdays
    Fandom: Get Smart

The Chief sat behind his desk in a sleeveless undershirt and fanned himself with case reports. "No, Max," he said, "we can't turn on the air conditioning, not for another six weeks."

Max whined, "But it's hot!"

From the hallway - CONTROL policy forbade female agents in the room while the Chief wasn't wearing pants - 99 asked, "Why six weeks?"

"For the same reason we can't buy bullets, fuel our cars, or pay Larabee for six weeks. That's how much of our operating budget a certain agent lost gambling on their recent mission in Monte Carlo."

"Sorry about that," replied 99.

8. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    I wrote this a couple weeks ago, before they'd announced the new expansion. Consider this an alternative idea.

Title: War of the Not-So-Ancients
    Fandom: World of Warcraft

The archmage Khadgar paused awkwardly. "Well, uh, general..."

"Out with it. What's the matter now?"

"The good news is we've stabilized a connection back to Azeroth. The bad news is that, you know how right now, we're not just in Draenor's past, but in an alternative reality version, with differences that predate Garrosh's intrusion?"

"Right. And?"

"Same principle. The link's to seventy years before our time, and it's an Azeroth that's being overrun by a military alliance of-" He muttered the last few words too softly to be understood.

"What was that?"

"Gnomes and goblins!" he blurted. "Gnomes and goblins."

9. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Threat from Beyond
    Fandom: Fireball XL5

"Colonel Steve Zodiac!" shouted the small man in the cheap suit. "Why haven't you made an appointment for your crew's independent physical evaluation?"

"Venus is a doctor of space medicine! She-"

"Is part of your crew! If an outside physical isn't conducted this week, then you, your ship, and everyone on it will be grounded!"

"Matt," wailed Doctor Venus, "whatever shall we do? Neither of us is physically fit for space travel! I've been lying for years!"

Professor Matic snorted a short laugh. "Speak for yourself! I just need to switch to my contact lenses. Now where'd I put 'em?"

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    If someone gambled away the AC money during summer, I would be furious! And after them :p

11. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    This was just a weird idea I had after seeing the teaser for the upcoming expansion.

Title: The Recovery
    Fandom: World of Warcraft

Gul'dan staggered through the portal and dropped to his knees. He did not know where he had been thrown, but the ground beneath his hands was hard, dry, and cracked. A chill night wind blew over him, and he tried to climb to his feet.

The second his fingers cleared the soil, though, a powerful energy rose from them and shot directly into the ground. For several minutes, he could do nothing but pump this power into the parched dirt.

A moment later, a hand shot up through the ground, and a voice called out, "Where's my husband? Where's Mankrik?"

12. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Roar of the Thunder Lizard
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: War

The copse had stood for centuries but was gone in an instant; its trees shattered, reduced to little more than splinters, from the impact of the giant reptile that burst through it without noticing in its headlong rush toward the lone figure beyond.

As it approached the man, the creature slowed, then stopped. It leaned down until its chin touched the ground. Even so, the man was dwarfed by just the creature's head. And then it roared.

The Doctor waited for the roar to sputter and die before he calmly said, "Tell your masters the Time Lords' representative has arrived."

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    A brave man!

14. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Playing for Time
    Fandom: Sliders

Professor Arturo said, "Mister Mallory, you do realize that we're going to be at a severe disadvantage. We've been on this world for less than a day, and we've no reason to believe that any of what we know from our Earth applies on this one."

"We don't need to win the quiz," replied Quinn. "We just have to hold out until the portal reopens." He held up the timer, showing less than fifty minutes remaining.

Wade nodded toward the rows of chairs facing them. "But why couldn't we have done that in the audience?"

"I... uh... hey, they're starting!"

Sith-I-5 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  15. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Bell Cracked
    Fandom: Sapphire & Steel / Saved by the Bell

Sapphire stood at an intersection in the hallway and reached out with her mind. "I don't think that the time stoppages themselves are part of an attack on this reality," she said. "But they have allowed an anomaly to burst through. A human."

"One of these adolescents?" asked Steel, waving his hand in front of a frozen boy.

"I believe so."

Time resumed, and teens and teachers rushed around, ignoring the pair. "There," announced Sapphire, pointing at a girl in a leather jacket.

Steel grabbed another student by his collar. "Who's that girl?"

"Tori?"

"She," Sapphire announced, "is the anomaly."

16. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Knights of White Paper
    Fandom: The Office

The office staff glanced up from their work as Michael and Dwight came in, their luggage in tow. Pam asked, "How was New York?"

Dwight's eyes lit up. "It was-"

"Fine!" snapped Michael, silencing him. More calmly, he added, "It went okay. We attended a few meetings, spoke to some potential clients, that's all." Before Dwight could speak, Michael cut him off again. "Absolutely nothing involving giant green dragons."

He stormed into his office and slammed the door. Dwight waited a moment before he muttered, "That's easy for you to say. You're not the one who had to kill one."

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I would love to hear that story :D

18. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Hindsight Clarification
    Fandom: The Big Bang Theory

"We all joked about it," Leonard confessed. "Faculty, students, administrators, almost anyone who ever interacted with Sheldon. A few years ago, we had an office pool about when it might happen. The university president took part. But nobody believed it'd really happen."

Howard nodded. "Oh, I totally believed it would happen. Most people did. When I said I wanted to be there to see it, that I take back completely."

"Can you really call him a supervillain," asked Raj, "if Sheldon doesn't have any powers? Yes, I know he killed dozens of people, but body count doesn't make you super."

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh boy. Oh, Sheldon. I can totally see him trying to be a supervillain.

20. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Appening
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: Twelfth

Within seconds, the Doctor was thoroughly engrossed in the game on Clara's phone and barely paying any attention to her. "You see the problem, right?" she asked.

"That these games are addictive to primitive human brains and are designed to separate those suggestible morons from their cash, yes. By the way, you just bought eighteen pounds' worth of ore."

"I meant," Clara explained, "that there are Daleks in this game! Look."

"Daleks aren't exactly unknown on Earth. Remember when they dragged this planet across the universe?

"Anyway," he continued. "These are Metaltrons. Totally different. Don't you ever read the text?"

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love the Doctor so quickly and easily becoming addicted to the game :p

22. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm back, I think.

Title: Quantum of Brawlace
    Fandom: Austin Powers

Austin tried to look nonchalant as half a dozen men in hooded robes surrounded him. He was about to wonder how he'd got into this mess when he noticed that several of them had stubble and one...

"Are neck tattoos common among monks?"

The phony clergy answered by attacking, swinging their fists more like street brawlers than trained warrior monks. Lucky for me, he thought as he knocked out the last one thirty seconds later. True martial artists would've taken him a full minute, maybe two.

And, he realized, he'd have had more time to remember to keep one conscious.

23. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Shadowplay
    Fandom: Danger Man

Drake kicked the man's gun away, turning so slightly, before the man tried to run. In an instant, Drake lunged at him, and both men rolled into a darkened corridor.

Though little more than silhouettes to each other, the two fighters were vicious and professional in their attacks. They seldom wasted strength on frivolous assaults, and every blow that did land seemed that much more powerful.

One kicked the other hard in the chest; Drake was knocked back out into the light. He shook off and was ready to dive back into the fray, but the man was already gone.

24. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: A Charged Quark
    Fandom: Quark

"Full stop," Commander Quark ordered. "We're surrounded."

The three giant robed forms, each far larger than the ship, hovered closer until they had it completely boxed in. They pulled back their hoods, revealing humanoid features with no hair and blue skin.

"Adam Quark," echoed a deep voice that resonated from everywhere and nowhere, "you have been accused of crimes against the Nostalian Empire. How do you plead?"

"Confused," he admitted. "Until this morning, I'd never even heard of the Nostalian Empire. What am I supposed to have done?"

"That's the first crime! Why hadn't you heard of us? We're important!"

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I really like that :D