main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Multiple logins

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Master Salty, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I was at school today and I logged onto the JC. I went about my business posting, but when I got home, I noticed that I was still logged on here.

Two Questions:

Is this a security problem?

Has this been noticed before?

EDIT: Question answered. Thanks. :)

Salty

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Yep, it's cookiees. I'm concurrently logged in on three computers actually.

¤Night

3. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    EDIT: See my next post. :)

Salty

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    A Password usually.

<shrug> if someone ahs your password nothing is going to keep them from logging into your account, I must be missing something in your question...

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Let's see if I can clear this up.

What would stop someone from loggin into my account on another computer, while I'm sitting here typing this question?

Salty

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, let me see if I understand. If you left yourself logged into computer A and then went to computer B, what is to keep some dastardly villan from using computer A to post under your username while you're not there?

Nothing.

Although happily you are responsible for whatever he or she posts. I'd suggest logging off if you have worries about someone using your computer to ruin your reputation on an online Star Wars Message Board.

7. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm not overly concerned about my reputation here. I was just surprised that you could be logged on to computers in different locations at the same time.

This place seems to be good at tracking IP's and I was wondering if they would notice something strange like the same screen name posting from different IP's at the same time.

Salty

8. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    I don't think there's anything to stop someone from logging you in at a different location, even if you're logged in somewhere else at the time.

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't know for certain, a mod would have to answer, but I beleive that the board only stores the last IP you were seen with, whether that's lurking or posting.

It doesn't seem feasible otherwise, to store IPs for all of a person's posts.

¤Night

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That's a very good point.

Salty

11. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I don't know for certain, a mod would have to answer, but I beleive that the board only stores the last IP you were seen with, whether that's lurking or posting.

It doesn't seem feasible otherwise, to store IPs for all of a person's posts.

you have a log in ip i believe and every time you post the ip should be written to the post as well as your last known log in ip.

how most BB's work.

12. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Night, actually, it does. So if you regularly post from both computers A & B, and someone posts profanity from computer A, we'd be able to tell which computer it was from. However, since you regularly post from computer A, we'd have no way of telling whether or not it was you that posted the profanity under your username.

So, yes, you can be logged in with multiple computers, but if you don't log off when your done, there's the possiblity that someone will troll with your name. Since we have no way of verifying, the responsibility for what was posted will be yours. :(

So, in short, be careful with your passwords and/or login habits. You'd probably be safe to never log off from your home computer (unless you have a dastardly little brother ;) ), but you may want to log off when you're done using a work or library computer. That's just a word of advice, though. It's not any sort of rule or official policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.