main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Museum of Science Sci Fi Movie Nights - April 17

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BobaChris12, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    What: Buffalo Museum of Science Sci Fi Film Festival (Fridays March 13 - April 17)
    Where: Buffalo Museum of Science
    When: Appearance Scheduled for Friday April 17
    Time: Showtime - 7pm. Arrival time - 5:45pm

The Buffalo Museum of Science is holding sci fi movie nights on Fridays in March and April. I contacted them to see if they'd be interested in having us and they are welcomed to us coming.

All movie start at 7pm. Tickets are $2 each.

Showing Friday April 17

Forbidden Planet,
    1956 (Color)
    One of the greatest science fiction films ever made. A spacecraft from Earth lands on the planet Altair-4 in the year 2200 to rescue survivors of a space colony. Soon it becomes clear that a strange force on the planet does not want them there. Stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Robby the Robot. Great for all ages!

Who is interested? More details to follow.

Attending
    Chris
    Lisa
    Antoine
    Gil
    Mindy (table)

Not Available
    Eli
    Rob
    Larry
    Janice
    Bryan
    Elaine
    Jason
    Jaime
    Kyle
    Dan

Edit 4/8/09
    I've received confirmation that we are to arrive at 5:45pm (no need to arrive earlier) and enter through the main entrance. There will be a secure room to change. I requested a table for our swag and the museum is happy to accomodate us. (Need to double check on a power source for laptop). The museum has seen between 50-70 people of various ages at the films and hope to attract more with some press releases going out to announce that we'll be there. We are welcome to stay and watch the film afterward. Plan on being in costume for less than an hour.

Edit 4/15/09
    For anyone watching the forums for event announcements, stop by the table for a free gift when you tell us the stolen Imperial Code - "TR 2904"

2. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I'd be into it but I work until 8PM every night

3. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    We all would be up for it. Cheer practice is until 8pm on Fridays though.... so looks like I will be the only one around at that time to go, if I can get someone to pick her up. April 10th and 17th we are both available. Rob's only Friday off in March and April is 4/24, so the other Fridays would be last minute decisions.

4. DarthMayer

DarthMayer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2006
    Depending on Andrea's shcedule I should be able to one or two.

5. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm game for one or all of the dates. I would just need to know as that is one of nights I work my second job.

6. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    Abbreviated schedule from the Museum of Science site:
    This is a great line-up of films.
    Offbeat Cinema SF Series (all films begin at 7:00 PM):

March 13
    First Men in the Moon,
    1964 (Color)
    The film version of the H.G. Wells novel. This wonderful film is filled with highly imaginative sets and realistic creatures. It tells the story of a Victorian era moon landing by unlikely explorers who find the moon inhabited by a civilization of strange beings. This one is fun for the entire family!

March 20
    Mars the Angry Red Planet,
    1960 (Color)
    This film tells the story of the first expedition to Mars. While it is a bit campy and the explorers seem like anything but astronauts, this is an imaginative film with interesting special effects created by a process called Cinemagic. Lots of fun with great Martian landscapes and monsters.

March 27
    Fantastic Planet
    1973 (Color)
    This animated feature is wildly acclaimed for its vision and style. This film details the class struggle between two races on a very strange, alien planet. This film is very memorable but is not recommended for children under 10.

April 3
    Day of the Triffids,
    1963 (Color)
    This British film has triffids ? enormous alien plants ? arriving on Earth during a meteor shower. The meteor shower blinds most of the Earth's people. Then the plants grow, begin walking and attack humans. A sci-fi classic for everyone!

April 10 (A movie will not be played this evening)

April 17
    Forbidden Planet,
    1956 (Color)
    One of the greatest science fiction films ever made. A spacecraft from Earth lands on the planet Altair-4 in the year 2200 to rescue survivors of a space colony. Soon it becomes clear that a strange force on the planet does not want them there. Stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Robby the Robot. Great for all ages!

We can do ALL films except April 17. The 1st date could be a little dicey, as we'll have just returned from Orlando late the previous night, but a possibility. We'll have to see what the rest of the turnout is like.

7. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I received an email back from the Museum. The first week is out and we're looking at the last 2 weeks right now. Other weeks have other "entertainment" or presenters scheduled.

8. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Updated first post.

We are confirmed for Friday April 17. More details to follow.

9. Aunna_Lauren

Aunna_Lauren Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2006
    I could make arrangements with the ex or a sitter for that night.....

10. JediKnightLisa

Oct 12, 2002
    We are free. Rob is more than likely out.

11. Marko_Ragnos

Marko_Ragnos Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    Yes, so far so good for me.

12. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I was able to get a feel for the area when I visited the museum this past weekend. The halls where they show the films has a fairly large gathering area for people to wait to get inside, as well as plenty of room to set up a table near the entrance.

Sounds like there is some buzz throughout the museum too. In one room, I talked with a worker who commented on Xander's Vader shirt and said I heard a rumor that Vader will be visiting for the last week of the film fest. She was very excited and hoped it were true.

13. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Sadly, no can do.

14. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    I took the day off for Four-Three Day, so count me in for this.

15. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Sorry, I'm out for this due to work.

16. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I need to give the museum a final headcount by Friday. Please let me know if you plan on staying to watch the movie as well. Mindy and I will be leaving shortly after the appearance to escape for the weekend.

This is an very good opportunity to recruit and we should have our slideshow, business cards, flyers, and sign ready to go.

17. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Updated first post

I've received confirmation that we are to arrive at 5:45pm (no need to arrive earlier) and enter through the main entrance. There will be a secure room to change. I requested a table for our swag and the museum is happy to accomodate us. (Need to double check on a power source for laptop). The museum has seen between 50-70 people of various ages at the films and hope to attract more with some press releases going out to announce that we'll be there. We are welcome to stay and watch the film afterward. Plan on being in costume for less than an hour.

18. JediKnightLisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Victoria is not available now. I more than likely will not be staying for the movie.

Chris, do you want me to do Anakin or do you want two pilots?

19. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I'll leave that up to you. If you want to change it up and wear orange, it's ok with me.

20. jedijaime

jedijaime Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    we will not be attending. i have imbedded kidney stones & i need to go in for surgery.

21. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    I won't be able to attned this.

22. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Dan, Gil & Antoine:

Do you guys plan on staying for the movie? The museum will set passes aside for you if you're interested.

I will be leaving as soon as the movie starts. Lisa cannot stay. You guys are welcome to stay and watch the movie.

Edit:

Please let me know so I can get back to the museum.

23. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    I wasn't going to watch the movie

24. Marko_Ragnos

Marko_Ragnos Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    no, I won't stay for the movie.

25. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    C'mon, guys!
    This is the classic of the festival.
    FORBIDDEN PLANET was the STAR WARS of 1957, the template for much of SF to come, besides being freely adapted from Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.