main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music and Fanfic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I will take that as a challenge now. :D Me, fanfic and Einstein on the Beach.

Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...it depends on where I need to go when writing, what I listen to when I write. Sometimes, for certain things, it's snarky comedy albums (Bill Engvall, Foxworthy... Cosby...), and other times it could be anything from Disney soundtracks, to Native American Drums, to country songs, to Christian Gospel worship albums. One of the hardest scenes I had to write involved listening to one specific song on repeat to stay in that mental space...

whiskers and Kahara like this.
  3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I once, while writing a particularly noir-ish work, put on an hour long playlist of Chet Baker's jazz. Worked like a charm to set the mood.

Ewok Poet, leiamoody and Kahara like this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Lyrics usually mess with my concentration, and instrumental music has to be something that won't distract me into just listening. Usually my go-to is recordings of nature sounds (rain, wind, ocean, etc) instead of actual music for background noise to help me relax while writing. That said, I make lots of fanfic-related playlists and get inspiration for scenes and stories from music all the time. It's just not often playing while I do the actual writing.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    I don't know if it has happened with you guys, but everytime I'm listening to a good song and I'm writing FF at the same time, there is always that awkward moment where I'll focus more on what the singer is singing and/or what the song is really about than what I'm writing. And it takes at least one minute before I'm back to Earth again. :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Kahara like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Tonight's repertoire: Tori Amos, Nina Zilli, Throwing Muses, Belly.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    For me, it depends on what I am writing. I mostly enjoy rock and folk and I'll just let youtube go on autoplay in the background quite often, but I'm, say, writing an overly mushy wedding scene, I'll listen to popular wedding song. If I'm writing an emotional death scene, I'll listen to really depressing music. I can listen to both songs with lyrics and classical soundtracks. However, I recently discovered Max Richter and his soundtracks are awesome. For example.

Kahara likes this.
  8. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Tonight was once again Bee Gees. I was so caught with the songs and the writing that I forgot that I decided to make myself a cup tea. Lol.

Send from my personal Jedi Starfighter

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Journey soundtrack.

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Very recently I revisited Take 6. Awesome acapella...

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This past weekend, I was on a binge of my favourite artist's back catalogue, especially the freebies he released two months ago. Prior to that, it was a week of mostly old stuff like Roger Whittaker, The Ink Spots and Curtis Mayfield; as well as some of my usual playlist staples like Blondie and Gabriella Cilmi.

Right now, I'm in love with the album called PRODUCT by SOPHIE (I believe it's all caps, yes) and Jennifer Lopez's 2007 album in Spanish; all of that after I kicked off the week with a bunch of Ladytron remixes.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, I just wrote a complete TFA piece to 53 minutes of a Fat Boy Slim set at Creamfields 2014.

Ewok Poet and whiskers like this.
  13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I'm trying to find a way to fit my fics set in 500 BBY to the soundtrack for Until The End of the World. I don't know how those stories are supposed to fit with the soundtrack to a Wim Wenders film, but I'm gonna use it as influence anyway. ("Sax and Violins" by Talking Heads in particular).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Would Fear of Music work there, since we're talking about Talking Heads and all?

Me, I'm on a strange En Vogue, Dru Hill and Mary J. Blidge binge this week. :D Mostly the earlier, which resulted in a weird dream where I was Maxine Jones on the set of Don't Let Go (Love). O_____o

leiamoody likes this.
  15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Oh, definitely. Anything Talking Heads is already sprinkled as influences throughout the 500+ years timeline of all my stories. :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Riiiiiight on! :)

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This week, it was Lloyd Cole, Gianna Nannini, Rollergirl, Real McCoy and a huge binge on my favourite artist.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Here is the soundtrack of a video game I use to listen to get some inspiration:

The most praised track is the main theme at 2:03:22

19. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    When I write Pre-ESB fics, I like to listen to 70's songs. I'm not super fond of 70's songs, but it puts me write back into when ANH was released and there was the press junket with Harrison, Carrie, Mark and the SW specials on tv. Star Wars was everywhere. It just puts that original flavor back into it for me.

leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Makes perfect sense to me. :)

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  22. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm looking for some good musics to write a chapter built around suspense and tension.

23. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I love writing to Orchestra Lunatica and This Will Destroy You. The music's pace is up and down, hard and soft, and I can just imagine characters kicking ass to it on some spots and kissing to it in others.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    If I'm looking for some sort of inspiration while (re-)reading bits of fanfic, I'll listen to a lot of different things. While doing the actual writing, however, I prefer a tried and true set of orchestral and choral music, including classical, movie soundtracks, and so-called "epic" music.

At one point during the fleshing out of my Republic Marines, I had envisioned an official anthem based on this song:

It was to be called Sergeant Mulkaehey, and about a Marine who had died during the Great Droid Revolution. I'd still like to take the time to come up with appropriately different lyrics, and maybe even sing it myself, but the background music might've been a bit tougher to get and/or incorporate—I know nothing of audio mixing and such.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Random music dump.

Heather Nova
    Haven't listened to her in quite a while, but she is incredible. I always see her as a poet who was blessed with the gift of singing and being able to play an instrument, so she could give colour to her music.

Some favourite songs:
    My Fidelity
    Walk This World
    Verona
    One Day in June
    Maybe an Angel (this song is partly a reason for naming one of my characters with a word phonetically similar to angel)
    I'm No Angel
    Ruby Red
    Paper Cup
    I'm The Girl

Not linking to them as a couple of them have a random f-word here and there.

JJ72
    I currently have three lines from their song Algeria as my signature (hide me from the evil / protect me from the vultures / guide me through the colours), but all of their stuff is amazing and the aesthetics of their music videos is definitely something to think about. Things always break apart in the video by the time song ends.

PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love
    My pal N. just reminded me of how much I love this album. All of it! Sharing the first song off it that I heard close to turning 12. I was a weeeeeeird kid.

And now I suddenly want to listen to Ash, because they came up in suggestions to all three of these. Ohwell.