main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music and Sound Effects go hand in hand...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tho Yor, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    In the Star Wars saga, one of the things that has always impressed me is how well the music and sound effects go with each other, and with the events on screen for that matter.

In fact it's not just their fitting together that is good. I actually found an instance in ESB where a cue of music resembles a sound effect from another scene.

Cast your mind to when Luke flies to Dagobah. We hear this very fast rising and descending note and then it mellows out.
    Then, in another scene (I think it's where Han and co are trying to leave Hoth), Han starts the Falcon's engine, and it makes a noise similar to that cue (and of course stops working), after which Chewie makes a roar.

That is a very eerie coincidence.

Anyway, this thread is also for sound effects and music working together. I think the duel between Luke and 'Vader' in the Dagobah cave is very good because the saber sounds complement the music.

Also, in Jabba's palace, during Luke's struggle with the Rancor, there is a very pompous music phrase, backed by some kind of laugh from Jabba, and a roar from the Rancor.

I think what I've just posted is quite odd. But try and make of it what you will and see if you can think of any other good music/sound moments.

2. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    I was just thinking of this sort of thing when I watched ANH the other day.
    I know there's this one part with Ben that's like that.

3. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Do you remember where/when/what it was?

4. Bcanr2d2

Bcanr2d2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2002
    You must remember that by '77 Classical scores had gone out the door in general. It wasn't until Jaws and SW that the classical score, and a well written score could add so much to the movie...

So the fact that the SW scores are well written is no surprise to the skill of John Williams

5. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    No, I'm not sure.

6. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Watch Episode 1 and how the sound effects go with the music while they are fighting on the cat walk.

7. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah. For instance when Duel of the Fates goes into its pseudo-ending, the saber effects and red laser gates provide background sound in the silence.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This is an interesting topic that is also discussed here.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.