main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music for a novel-Lost Stars

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by CamMillerFilms, Oct 16, 2015.

1. CamMillerFilms

CamMillerFilms Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2015
    As a filmmaker, I read books as movies in my head. I think of the shot, the location, the pan, the transition...and of course the music. A blessing and a curse sometimes :) Talking to Claudia Gray, the author of Lost Stars, I was telling her how the book was really a movie...and I couldn't get a theme out of my head while reading it....so I composed a piece and sketched out a theme! A lot of fun to do, and I thank her for her kindness.

2. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    CamMillerFilms
    This is beautiful and so generous of you! I've read the book and like it very much. At which scenes in the novel do you imagine some of the themes of your musical piece playing?

You should also make a post in the Lit thread for Lost Stars; the book is enjoyed by a lot of people.

3. CamMillerFilms

Oct 15, 2015

Thank you!

When I first read the book and reached out to Claudia, I told her that I had themes in my head and had to write them...of course the London Symphony was booked...lol, but I have a great array of instruments and plug ins in my studio...so I dove in headfirst over the course of a week.

With Ciena and Thane's theme, I had this in my head when they were flying in their younger days...soaring through the clouds.
    With Join the Academy!, I wrote this piece as they struggled through the trails and tribulations of the Academy.
    And with Choosing Sides... every time they "met up" later in the story...this theme came to me.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Wow, this is awesome! I've been wanting to find the time to do something like this for Dark Empire for a while as a tribute to its new Legends status. How long was your process for this? Coming up with themes and composing the entire piece? And what's your setup like?

5. CamMillerFilms

Oct 15, 2015

Thanks!
    I had the themes in my head right after reading it.. and going back to certain parts of the book...Once I had the ideas sketched out, ( using Finale software) it took about a week to do the recording. I use a vast array of Kontakt libraries through Sonar Producer software. Nothing like dialing up what you hear in your head RIGHT THEN...

6. Marinist

Marinist Jedi Knight

Apr 17, 2015
    Exellent music