main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music for the ANH Old Ben/Vader duel

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ANAKINSKYWEEZER, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    What music do you think would work best for this duel? I'm trying to make a file putting the music together but I can't decide on something cool to use. Is there any good unused or underrated music I can use to fill out the duel? I'd rather refrain from just using DotF and BotH the whole time. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    No music.

3. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    battle of heroes, the clash of lightsabres, qui-gon's noble end. but none of it will work unless they fix the fight it's self first.

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    God, I love when people start talking about how SW needs to be fixed.

If it was determined to be absolutely necessary to add music, I'd go with the Force theme, AKA Ben's theme.

So, Neo, do you think Lucas should CGI in a bunch of acrobatics to lower the duel to the level of BOTH?

5. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Yep!

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    We've been through this a million times, and it probably isn't a good idea to start again given the strong feelings on the topic. But while we are at it, I go with the no new music crowd.

7. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    the fight has to be redone. and if they did, silence would just not work.

8. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
  9. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    GK, I wonder if we could get a poll on whether parts of the OT should be rescored?

10. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Dude, I mean no offence at all because one's opinion is well... just that- and I respect that,
    but when reading most of your post's I gotta ask...
    Do you actually like anything about Star Wars? Just curious.

11. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't like the inconsistencies or flaws, especially flaws that date the film. i have a list of changes, some incredibly small and easy to do, that could make the saga flawlessly consistent and error-free.

12. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
  13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Hmmm... seen it's like before, and I think it's laughable to suggest that the music actually 'fits'- or would fit anything short of CG Obi-wan and Vader leaping and flipping around the shafts and main power core of the Death Star. Sorry, it just doesn't work.

That's what I say on principle... in your case, though, I did kinda like how the music worked for the death, and everything- although it started getting a little dicey again by the time of "Blast the controls!"

14. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    that's the second video i've seen like that. you can't just layer the track over the fight.

all that proves is it would work thematically if it were scored to actually fit the scene. and that Zarm_Rkeeg universally hates all things prequel-related.

15. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    They're films. Can't you just enjoy them?
    I just hope you don't spend the rest of your days worrying about such things.
    In fact you'd be better off spending your time securing the rights to Star Wars
    and producing/directing your own re-makes, IMO.

Oh, and I think you'll find that 'flawlessly consistant'
    and 'error free' are very unrealistic too.
    But like I always say... To each thier own! [face_peace]

16. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    like i said, i have a list. making the saga complete and consistent would be incredibly easy. most of the changes can be done on a home computer with free software.

17. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Right on man, good luck with that![face_good_luck]

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Saying that scoring the Obi-Wan/Vader duel from ANH with completely out of place prequel music would be ridiculous is not the same as being anti-prequel.

And as for "fixing" anything about ANH (or ESB for that matter), that would be a dumb move, IMO. Those two films are as close to perfect escapist filmmaking as I have ever seen and shouldn't have been changed in the first place with the SE. The use and non-use of music in those two films is flawless already.

19. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    you only say it's out of place because you see a dividing line in the middle of the saga where there is none. it's as though you think i'm suggesting tracking an unedited theme from spiderman into the scene.

20. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Its ok, just it really doesn't flow right, that is why silence is the best.

21. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it doesn't flow right because it's too loud and fast, and the person who made that video did almost no editing, just dropped it over the video. if it was actually scored to the scene, quieter, slower, it would foit perfectly, and vastly improve the quality of the scene, even without reshooting the fight it's self.

22. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Since you want to change the scene instead, can I infer that you universaly hate all things OT-related? :confused:
    Actually, I'm a huge fan of prequel music- especially ROTS, BOTH in particular (Though I will admit I thought that the ST version of BOTH, at least the first half, could have been better used during an actuall 'clash' instead of the swinging around section- it sort of sounds more epic than the film they were able to acompany it with.;) ). But I'm also objective enough to recognize the diffferences. (For example, that sort "Zing" musical hit used a lot in the walker battle that's threaded throughout the OT, and ESB especially doesn't really appear much- except in BOTH- in the PT. Likewise, the PT seems to use a lot less brass and a lot more 'swinging, soaring' woodwinds under the main melody, especially in Phantom Menace, than the OT does. I hate neither of the series for these perceived differences- I just recognize that they're different.)
    Simillarly, I recognize that the pace of DOTF, BOTH, the Escape From Naboo music that was put into the Falcon leaving Mos Eisly, and other music like that, tends to be geared towards faster edits and faster action- most obviously where lightsaber battles are concerned. The pacing just doesn't interface. Vader and Obi-wan just aren't moving fast enough or battling intensly enough to justify that music, no matter how artfully it's done. Certain parts work in each adaption- as I said, the end kinda worked well in this one. But, it doesn't work cohesively, and often it's only when the music slows down that it works. This is simply because the fight is SLOWER THAN THE PREQUEL FIGHTS. Just like the Luke/Vader duel. And that's why they have a different music/sound system going for them: because they're not the same and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for both. Different scoring styles, different directing styles- different styles, period. There is an invisible dividing line in the middle of the trilogy- it's called almost 30 years. And, like either or both trilogies as much as we may, George Lucas just isn't making the same movies now that he was back then. I don't hate the new way- but it just doesn't match the old way. And I don't think we can force it to, no matter how much we may want to.

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it matches just fine, if you stop thinking of the originals as perfect and untouchable

24. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    BOTH was written for an epic battle on an exploding planet with waves of magma, guys doing backflips onto floating platforms, and lava-surfing.

The duel in ANH is between an old guy and a robot with asthma in a hallway.

There is no way I will be convinced that the same music can work for both scenes.

25. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Neo, please try to understand: There is a difference between "The originals are perfect and untouchable, period." and "The originals are just movies- but that music doesn't work with that scene, period." And while I would say that yes, the originals are superior to the prequels in most respects, this isn't an issue of trilogy love/hate, touchability/untouchability, or any 'musics too good/not good enough' eliteism- it's just about what fits in terms of pacing, mood, and style- and ROTS battle music, BOTH in particular, does not really match up with any of those three when it comes to the ANH Lightsaber Duel. As it is, the music of ANH may be "Ancient Cues, for a more civilized time," but that's the time that they're made to fit in. The newer music fits the more modernized prequels well, but that doesn't make it a good match for the older duels which are simply a different style, pace, and feel. No love lost between the trilogies- just some innate differences.

By the way, Well_Of_Souls: [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.