main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music for the ANH Old Ben/Vader duel

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ANAKINSKYWEEZER, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    no, no i don't, that's exactly my point.

2. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I thought your point was that portions of the OT need re-scoring. I'm not saying you have strong attachments to the SW music- but you do have strong opinions on what it should be and how it should be. All I'm asking is: realize that, and also realize that so do we. Just because we share a separate opinion doesn't mean that we are "Sad, and narrow minded, and PT-biggoted" or anything else. It just means that we have an opinion on how the music should be too, and we believe in it strongly, just like you do for yours. [face_peace]

3. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    no. you have a belief. i have an opinion. that's the difference

4. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Whats done is done. I'm sure williams isn't always happy with the results in the end. I'm sure he cringes at some spots during the premere. But as an artist must stop somewhere with detail, Williams must say cut sometime or else it would take forever. Lucas has gone back and fixed a few things, but nothing should be rescored or redone. You can't go back and change what's already done and have the same quality. I say wait half a century and see if someone redoes the entire series when technology is even better.

~JW

5. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    I fail to see the difference. I have an opinion about the music. You have an opinion about the music. JMN77 has an opinion about the music. And we all have the belief that we're right, or that our opinions are valid for a certain reason. In the end, the only difference is the actual content of our opinions. So can we not be at peace? [face_peace]

6. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    belief: bias, prejudice

opinion: rationale, conclusion

"You can't go back and change what's already done and have the same quality."

yet you can't say why. because there is no why. that's what makes it a belief.

7. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    As I recall, most people in this thread have given many reasons for their opinions about this issue. You, on the other hand haven't had much to say with any real substance as far as I can tell.

8. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Having a belief is equal to having a bias or prejudice? (dictonary: Mental aceptance of a claim as truth) And an opinion (dictionary: A non-objective thought that a person has formed about a topic or issue- emphasis mine) is ALWAYS a rational, informed descision? That's ludicrous!!! If anything, it's the other way around!

Anyhow, both JMN77 and I have given our reasoning just as you have given yours- informed, rational descisions that are just as valid as "I think the music belongs in the OT." How is that an informed, rational belief while "I think the music doesn't belong in the OT" is not?! We both have opinons (this is the way I think it should be, non-objectively) and beliefs (I accept, as my belief, that this music should/shouldn't be here because it does/doesn't fit.) Both are informed, but neither of these are objective, because (though I'm no Moral Relativist) unlike some things in life, music is a matter of opinon and preferance- otherwise, we wouldn't be having this debate!

So please, is there something wrong with acknowleging that our opinions on this are just as valid as yours, and discus their individual merits on an equal level instead of attacking or trying to disqualify the other's opinion?

9. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    =D= =D= =D=

10. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    form an opinion. then we can discuss it.

11. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    What the...?!

How does every other post I've made on the topic not count as an opinion?

All right, you want my opinion, this is it: As I've already stated, in my opinion, the music between the PT and the OT has a different sound- not that they are non-interchangable, but it's less jarring the less that it's done.
    Secondly, it's my opinion that the Ben/Vader duel- and it's really hard to know what to feel about that, because it is rather underwhleming does not fit with any of the pre-established PT themes, especially the fight ones. As ofr a rationale- see what JMN77 said most eloquently about the motivations for the fight this time.
    Thirdly, I think that some portions of the fight work better silently. The opening, for example. Once you cut away to Luke and co. and the droids, and Ben's sacrifice, some music may be appropriate. As it is, there is already some score there- so I don't think that re-scoring is all that necessary. However, if it does occurr, I would only be in favor of something the matches the pace of the fight, the mood/circumstances of the fighters, and preferably is not a recognizeable, recycled cue but is something uniquely written. (maybe a slightly less 'evolved' version of the Luke/Vader ROTJ fight? I dunno...) But all of this is based on an 'if it occurrs' side-track; my main opinion, then, boils down to this- the fight doesn't need to be re-scored because it is unique in it's own stlye, one that fits within the context of the film and the confrontation itself. Yes, it is a highly emotional moment, and the culmination of much of the PT story arc, and if it had been done differently, a grand, epic score may be appropriate- but for how it was done, this battle is an epilogue, an afterthought to Mustafar; a last, sad battle between two former brothers who have none of their love left- an angry juggernaut bent on revenge, and an old warrior, sad that it has come to thius but long since resigned to it's inevitability, and long since resigned to his fate. There is no tension, no roiling emotion or conflict in the duel (at least on Kenobi's part.) This is one last necessity to be comitted, nothing more. And as such, the lack of musical score for the duel is appropriate- music only enters in for the death of Ben Kenobi, a moment which, unlike the mechanical duel of two resigned opponents before it, is charged with emotion- and the sudden appearance of music where there was none helps to heighten, via contrast, the emotion in it.

So, that's my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.