main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music for "The Duel"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Quixotic-Sith, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Eh...I dunno about the Ewok music... :p

I would love it if there was no music at all for the beginning of the duel. The scene is bound to be interspersed with the largest battle ever seen in the Star Wars universe (or maybe that's just me dreaming), so it would be cool to have dramatic fight music playing during the battle, similar to the Arena music in AOTC, then cutting to either no music and just the sound of sabers clashing or low choirs and strings similar to ROTJ.

Above all, the music should accentuate the brevity of the duel. The audience should be completely focused on the fight itself and not be distracted at all by the music (like I was in AOTC after listening to the soundtrack beforehand at least a dozen times).

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    It's already been used.. but it's not "Duel Of The Fates".

It's "The Darkside Beckons" from ROTJ.

The best piece of Star Wars Music, I would say.

UKS

3. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I think George has already mentioned that they'll be re-using Duel of the Fates in Episode 3. I think it's mentioned in oone of the TPM DVD documentaries - George says he loves the track and that it will be suitable for further use in the final film.

I don't think the quote is as 'explicit' as that, but I think the crux of the matter is that he'll be re-using DOTF.

DARK_SCORE
    :D

4. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, I hope he changed his mind about reusing DOTF - it's a nice piece of music, but it's been used far too often.

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    The scene is bound to be interspersed with the largest battle ever seen in the Star Wars universe (or maybe that's just me dreaming)

Tell him he's dreamin' ;) The big battle is at the beginning, as far as we know

But I agree with your other ideas :)

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. (And [face_laugh] at the dreamin' comment.)

And DOTF really hasn't been used much in the films. It was used a lot less than I thought it would be in AOTC, which I was happy about, and it wasn't overused in TPM. I can see it making an appearance during the final duel, but I hope it doesn't dominate it.

7. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I would like to hear the DOTF mixed with some type of Devil/Demon music.

8. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    everyone's talking about the duel of the fates, but what about the force them? it could be woven in there too.

9. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Lucas said it "This theme (duel of fates) really relates to what happens in Episode 3"

So expect DOF to be "the duel"'s music.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, I'm hoping for a re-use of The Dark Side Beckons for the Anakin/Dooku duel (if there is one).

I'd like pure DOTF...as we've seen, a lightsabre duel with dialogue can still be very fast-paced (Luke/Vader TESB, Yoda/Dooku AOTC. So Obi-Wan could still be trying to talk Anakin down and still have a lightning-fast sabre battle.

11. akamu2

akamu2 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2003
    C'mon, people, you know that the only piece of music that will fit at all is "Lapti Nek."

Only...darker.

OK, I LOVE "DotF." But it IS too quick, too upbeat, and I agree with...er...whoever mentioned it earlier, enough with the recyled themes. Reworked? FINE. But as much as I love John Williams, I have to admit, I was hoping for A LOT more than what wound up being on the Episode 2 soundtrack. I was wondering if there's gonna be a two-disc Ep2 soundtrack released later, as with TPM, but then I realized, I have a lot of the other music from Ep2 on my Ep1 CDs...(sorry, Mr. Williams!)

It's gotta be dark, sad, forboding, powerful, moody, and above all, not used throughout the whole duel. Silence is pretty effective, too.

While I'm kinda on the subject, the one piece of music that John Williams SHOULD recycle is one that he never used to begin with. On the Star Wars: ANH CD soundtrack, on Disc 1, Track 13, I believe, is the alternate track to Binary Sunset(the scene after Luke doesn't finish his dinner and storms out to gaze at the sunset(suns set?).

When I first heard this alternate take, Episode 1 was barely beginning to be talked about. When I heard it, I pictured Anakin as Vader, at the end of Episode 3. I pictured Obi-Wan looking sadly at the stars from his new 1 room apartment on Tattooine.

I think they should use that track near the end. Has anyone else heard it? Whaddaya think?

12. Master_Yoda516

Master_Yoda516 Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2002
    I think they were soposed to use DOTF but after having it in AOTC I'm not sure thats a good idea.

Maybe if they used the words of DOTF with a different tune........

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There's been a long-running thread on this very exciting topic over in the SW Music Forum, as well as other threads on the Episode III score.

14. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Call me crazy, but as was mentioned erlier {and I'm being very serious about this}, I'd LOVE to hear the Metallica version of the Imperial March. It is so powerful, so dark, so forboding, but with hints of the demonic in it. If you haven't heard it, hear it!!!
    But since Lucas won't use it, we ought to hear a slow rythym version of DotF, like off the trailers for the other movies at the begining of the SE versions of the OT.

15. Leah

Leah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2003
    Duel of the Fates of Course!

16. Keem

Keem Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    I saw on the DVD for Episode I where Lucas is talking to John Williams in the recording studio the he wanted Williams to rewrite a "reprise version" of Duel of the Fates in Episode III. I assume this is for the Obi-wan/Anakin duel, and I assume this "reprise" is a darker version. All I know is that is what Lucas said, although he didn't actually say it was for the final duel, I assume it is.

17. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    In the TPM documentary did GL say that the entire DOTF theme itself was important for Ep3 or just the chorus singing during the piece?

18. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Recall the music that plays behind the scene in SW: ANH when Kenobi tells Luke about his father, the Clone Wars, and how Anakin was betrayed and murdered.

As the "betrayed and murdered your father" line is spoken, an oboe comes in with a theme that is somewhat like the AOTC theme that plays when Kenobi is investigating and whenever there is foreboding about the Republic. (It is in keys of F, and F sharps, not the C D and G keys. My music skills are shaky.) This is track 8, "Tales of A Jedi Knight" on the ANH: SE soundtrack.

Williams might incorporate some elements of this track into the Duel music so when viewed from episode I to VI, it will seem as if the music is echoing the past.

19. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    I think that the music should be the Duel of the Fates music from TPM.

20. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Up!

Must... save... thread... from... pruning!

21. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm still baffled as to why anyone would NOT want DOTF (or a variant of it) to be used for the duel...

22. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    It makes sense, that Duel of the Fates will have an important place in all the prequel movies, especially #3.

I'm curious to know, however if GWL will use the rumored original piece scored by John Williams for the pivotal duel in TPM. It is said that Lucas thought it was too dark for The Phantom Menace and decided to use it in Episode 3. Will that piece, should it exist, play any part in or near the duel in SW3?

23. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I think it will be a mixture of some songs we've heard already like DOTF, Imperial March, maybe a little ROTJ stuff, some heavy Kodo drumming would be AWESOME(IMO) but we'll probably just get slow suspense drums like in TPM, and I'm pretty sure there will be something new that we have never heard and will probably never forget.
    Something very dark and very powerful.

...oh man, I CANT WAIT!!!!! :D

24. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    The suspense is killing me! Cue the drums!

25. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Personally, I'd think I'd be awesome if we heard a choral Force Theme during the duel loud and bold right before Obi-Wan pushes Anakin into the lava pit. Speaking of choral stuff, maybe a choral Vader's Theme slowly and qietly for the male tenors and basses when/after Anakin falls into the lava...That would be sweet :D. And during the fight, new dramatic music in the style of "Final Duel" near the end, and some new fast paced music when appropriate during the beginning, with hints of Vader's Theme, The Emperor's Theme, and DotF all the way through the fight. I'd also really like to hear "The Great Duel" from the TPM video game too during the duel.

and what arrowheadpodracer said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.