main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Music More People Should Hear

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Today I had more time do this because I had desk work to do, but it's not like this everyday so it's gonna take me days or weeks to sample all this. And btw I'll probably skip Juliet's videos anyway, so there's that.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    More people should go see musicians who travel without one of these
    [​IMG]

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Joe Pug, for sure.

And lately I've been on a big Tallest Man on Earth kick. He's kind of well-known, but not nearly well-known enough in my opinion: (the song really starts after, like, 1 minute)

Digging Brown Bird so far. And David Francey. And this thread.

4. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Also you guys are gonna lol at me. but hanson.

Not Mmmmmbob 13 year old hanson. But the same dudes are all grown up and have been making pretty decent music for a while. They're really gifted musicians. I went to one of their shows a couple years ago and it was pretty great.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    :D

It's been used as the theme for a new History channel historical drama called Vikings which isn't about English scone bakers, as you'd expect. Granted, there's a good Scandinavian connection through the musician's origins, but otherwise the lyrics have nothing really to do with Ragnar Lodbrok. Yet it's so damned moody it still works with the visuals.

Plus **** Buttons did a sick remix of it.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And now for something completely different. MC Hawking. Because you want to hear nerdcore rap in Stephen Hawking's mechanical voice. Naughty language warning.

***** thinks he's funny
    showing off to his peers
    he's a noob-y TA
    who does not know the fear
    and respect that is due
    to the Hawk and his crew

This second one is not for the, uh, religious minded or new agers.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Some of my latest ear candy... got introduced to this band a month or so ago. I downloaded their album immediately.

8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'll get to commenting on everybody's song links tomorrow . . . I was just suddenly reminded of this haunting track by Zimbabwean-Briton Tinashé. Apparently the story in the song is something that came from the artist's mother, and not from his direct experience. I know nothing more about it than that . . . perhaps it's more powerful and chilling without context.

9. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Vivec: I got a kick out of the album name--"A Brief History of Rhyme." Lol. Not quite as impressive a "celebrity appearance" as the Christopher Lee heavy metal Little Drummer Boy rendition, since Lee himself actually had to participate in that, but still clever.

harpua: I must have been in an off mood last night since when I first listened to that track it didn't do a lot for me. I listened to it again this afternoon, and found I liked it's cheery, trance-y sound a lot. Like being a bit chemically altered and staring at the dust motes in sunshine. Not that I've ever done such a thing. Lately.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

We already have thread for this

To borrow from its best moments.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was actually hoping the hanson video would somehow be amazing, but it was unsurprisingly mediocre.

PRENNTACULAR and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, it has a much different tone that a lot of stuff I normally listen to... that may be why I like it so much, dunno.

14. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Arrgh! I forgot Prennifer! How could I do this?!! Somehow I skipped over you Prenn. Don't know how. :( I'm really excited about Joe Pug . . . he reminds me a little of a pre-electric Dylan who can sing. I'm definitely checking him out on iTunes. The Tallest Man On Earth did a nice, raw cover of a great song. The singer really captured the loneliness of the lyrics. I think the best part of the video was when two apparently unawares shoppers came in to look at guitar hardware and looked kind of freaked out. :p

Like tom, I really wanted to be blown away by Hanson, maybe as a way of finally blotting their teenaged selves out of my head. They weren't bad, but they weren't great. Maybe I'll look them up too, and see if they have anything that really strikes me. Just because MmmmBop. That's why.

Isotope217--Is that track you, or are they just a favorite band? Nice smooth, spare background music.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Since apparently something played only one month in the last year is defined as over-saturated now, I offer the following.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so next up is Protest the Hero. Canadians to the core, this 5 piece band play a unique brand of super-technical guitar metal without the current trend towards growling vocals. In fact, the vocalist has one of the better and more unique voices out there.

This track is off their most recent release, Scurrilous. These guys are actually pretty funny as I'l show later on but this video cracks me up. Guest vocals from Jadea Kelly.

For me, their best album is Fortress, which is just on another level technically and musically. The track I'm linking is called Spoils, and it's about man's domination over the world esp. with respect of animals. This album had lyrics written by bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi and he has an excellent turn of phrase throughout the whole album.

Finally, this track is from their debut album Kezia, which is a concept album about a woman's execution as told through the eyes of a priest, her executioner, and her eyes. Although "The Divine Suicide of K" has a stronger emotional impact (as it's Kezia's last thoughts as she goes to her death, sung beautifully by Jadea Kelly as Kezia) this track is just frentic energy as the executioner questions his role in the affair. I just love they way they articulate his thoughts; "Blindfolded to atone/for a sin I didn't care for, but a sin that paid my debts."

And finally, just because they're awesome...

LostOnHoth likes this.
  17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    you guys and i are totally on the same page for hanson. I just was really surprised they didn't suck, you know? haha

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    //crickets chirp

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

Got beat. I was gonna mention Tallest Man on Earth.

Guy Forsyth Band, Ike Reilly, Miniature Tigers though I didn't like their newest album.

20. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Wocky--That certainly isn't an artist or a song I've heard before! It has a good, positive message to it, which is nice. Is the guy singing a bit flat there in the middle, though? Something seemed to be jarring there in the center bit. Maybe someone with more of a background in music can tell me.

Ender: I like the stinging, clean sound that Protest the Hero has. The vocals were especially nice . . . I think I'd listen to more metal if most of the singers didn't sound like Nathan Explosion from Metalocalypse. (I think you likened them to Cookie Monster . . . ?)

Unfortunately I got a message saying that "Hair-Trigger" wasn't available in my country, but I was able to see the others. I think "Blindfolds Aside" was my favorite one.

And hush about the chirping crickets . . . I can't keep this thread going 24/7! :p

darthcaedus: Sounds interesting. Any tracks in particular you could point us to? :)

tom . . . if you're still out there . . . I went and bought a copy of "Nothing Left" by Brown Bird on iTunes. It's a good time to buy from them, since their site says that the guy just had surgery for leukemia. Also, the groaning cello and vaguely Latin (maybe?) beat reminded me of this song by the Squirrel Nut Zippers.

I had to go with this fan video version, because it's so hilariously bad. Clowns, cardboard instruments and dancing Nazis. Makes perfect sense to me.

tom likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh bummer. Hair Trigger is worth searching for. The video is pretty cheeky and I love the contrast between Jadea Kelly and Rody's vocals.

This is from the same album as Hair Trigger; so gloriously cynical:

Stepped off the platform and he briefly made yeah he briefly made the news
    Made the news and made the trains run fifteen minutes late
    Oh what a price to pay, to be the author of your fate.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    This band is insane. Glad I clicked on this thread.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, it's Pirate Day and all....might as well post some Alestorm.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this thread is still alive and kicking during the holidays. There's some truly great underground Christmas music.

25. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I've talked about Heimataerde before but I don't listen to much under-exposed music, and there's a chance a few people haven't heard them yet so here it is.
    A bit electronic, a bit industrial (I think?) and some bagpipes. They even made a Christmas song :p