main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Music More People Should Hear

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Sep 15, 2013.

1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    BF2K+1: I shall see your Alestorm and raise you some Captain Tractor, courtesy of the Arrogant Worms. I love this song. Love, love, love.

Morella: Ah, neat stuff! I was definitely tapping my foot along, especially with the last two. :) Funny how badass bagpipes can sound.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man, I love Alestorm. Their stuff is cheesy as hell, but they're clearly enjoying themselves, and consequently it works really well. I just wish their albums weren't so hit and miss.

ophelia and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

Have no regrets and live for the day.

Darth Morella likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thrice

I can't talk enough about these guys. Started out punk, added some metal and hardcore before breaking down genres and description with 2005's Vhiessu. Since then they've crafted matured, deep, nuanced and melodic tunes that hint at diverse influences from Radiohead to Johnny Cash.

The lyrics are a thing of beauty, too. I love lyrics; for me, the story they tell is often as important as the reaction the music provokes. Dustin Kensrue is an erudite lyricist who tackles some weighty philosophical themes without sounding pretentious. He's also a deeply spiritual, left wing Christian and bear in mind that I say this as an atheist - I love the insight I get to his faith from the lyrics. Read the lyrics to "Moths to Flame", "Come All You Weary" or "Moving Mountains" for insight.

Plus, they've ensured that from every album released money's made its way to charities for causes they support, such as To Write Love On Her Arms.

The songs I'm going to play for you reflect the latter stage Thrice. I still love their 2003 effort The Artist in the Ambulance but in terms of their creativity, scope, and refusal to stick to genres they're almost like a modern Beatles to me.

"Circles" from Beggars (2009)

The song is a mournful reflection on modern society, almost an ode to the faded hopes and dreams of a person's youth as they get older. The chorus says it all; "We set sail with no fixed star in sight/we drive by braille and candlelight".

My favourite lyric in the song is Kensrue chanelling GK Chesteron; "True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads/we always change the vision instead".

"Red Sky" from Vheissu (2005)

I can't say enough about this song. I love it.

"Silver Wings" from Alchemy Index Vol 3: Air (2008)

After Vheissu, Thrice released two double EPs (i.e. two albums) themed around the four elements. The first was Vol 1: Fire (Heavy, more aggressive songs) and Vol 2: Water (heavily electronic and had three amazing tracks, Digital Sea (see below); Night Diving (instrumental), and the Whaler).

The second was Vol 3: Air and Vol 4: Earth. Each of the four had songs which felt like their elements and a track from the element's perspective. Silver Wings is the air's POV song, and it's suitably light and ethereal.

"Digital Sea" from The Alchemy Index Vol 2: Water (2007)

This song makes me envious that, as good as I am with language and words and imagery, I will never be as good as Dustin Kensrue is with words.

And finally, an older track from 2003's The Artist in the Ambulance:

"All That's Left" live on Jimmy Kimmel

If you want to pick up an album physically or via Google Play/iTunes (because of the charity aspect, it's worth not pirating these), I'd say start with Beggars and work backwards from there.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Just to underscore the point:

Version 1 from 2002:

Version 2 from 2005 after Vhiessu:

Three years and a tonne of musical maturity leaves us with an exceptional take on the same song.

8. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    I really enjoyed Vheissu when it came out but hadn't really kept up with Thrice since then which was a huge mistake on my part aparently.

Brick+Mortar are a drum and bass duo that I stumbled across and have been really enjoying.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Get ready for some TISM (this is serious mum)

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Whitey's good too. Can't believe I forgot him.

And here's some links

My favorite song from their 2nd album. Saw them perform in a church basement. They were great.

Good song from their first album.

And here's some Whitey whom I love.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    And here's the other two artists who got locked out because limits.

And eclectic mix but I love em all.

12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Ender: I enjoyed Thrice . . . "Silver Wings" was particularly haunting. "Digital Sea" kept reminding me of something in the back of my mind . . . I can't quite recall what, though. Has that song been used in any soundtracks or anything . . . ?

Yoda_S: I really liked the vocals on "Bangs." Such a strange, catchy melody line! "Locked in a Cage" was cool too, but something seemed to go wrong on "Backwards Clock." Was the drummer singing way off key, or does the non-live version of that song sound that way too?

Vivec: I can never get enough of that song. Everyone should be forced to sing it 24/7. Everyone.

darthcaedus: Miniature Tigers' "Dino Damage" cracked me up. "if you hold on, they'll puncture your lungs, and separate your spine from your skull." Yeah, it happens. You just got to accept that from the beginning.

I liked Guy Forsyth and Ike Reilly very much too . . . both of them reminded me a little of Tom Petty during his Full Moon Fever days.

This is Architecture in Helsinki, a band that PulsarSkate actually introduced to me years ago. Apparently they're personal friends of hers. I love this song, and the video is adorable, too!

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Speaking of dear, dear Pulsie ([face_love] !) this band hails from her home town of Melbourne, which is a kickass city. It really is.

The band are called laura and they do the whole Mogwai/Explosions in the Sky type post-rock.

First track is off an EP called YesNoMaybe. It's called Cardboard Cutout Robot Victim Hero Children:

I love the dynamics of the song; it sounds like it should accompany the opening of a movie's titles or something. Really cinematic music.

Next track is I Hope off the 2006 album Radio Swan is Down.

I'm not sure if there's lyrics or just wordless singing in there but dammit I love this.

Along these lines, Irish band God is an Astronaut.

If this song doesn't wash away all doubt, stress, misery and replace it all with joy, you're possibly dead inside. Or Juliet warped by bad music.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've been on a big Wild Child kick lately.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    A lot of the more recent bands listed are pretty big or at least used to be :( More hipster unheard of bands pleaseeee

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Where do you rate Baroness? I don't know how well known they are in the US.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Kimbra, AKA "that chick from the Gotye song," is currently working on her second album, but here's one of my favorites of her earlier work:

On the "world beat" tip, a band I've been loving very much is Niyaz. Their sound is a mashup of electronica and Persian traditional music (lead singer Azam Ali is Iranian). My favorite of theirs is a song called the Hunt, which is has elements of a Sufi mystic poem put to music:

Bandmates Ali and Loga R. Torkian have put together a side project, an album called Lamentation of Swans. The first track is called Reverance:

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I don't know if you people know Boards of Canada. But. You should.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyone listen to Alt-J? My sister is a huge fan, but I'm not sadly.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Powerglove. Metal covers of video game and cartoon themes. What I love about them is that they don't just do a simple cover of the songs. They add in a lot of their own riffs/solos, melodies, double bass, and all the other things you'd want in a good metal band.

So Sexy Robotnik (Sonic 2)

X-Men

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I do. And agreed.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I love video game soundtracks.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I give you the Lylat Suite.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ophelia - do you know Boards of Canada?

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I love the God of War soundtrack especially.