main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Music of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Okay, everyone. We have threads for the good guys, the bad guys, the planet, the plot, the technology, the costumes and the political standing. BUT we forgot one of the most important things. The thing that gives the soul to any media format. The music.

Of course we know that John Williams will be returning so we can be assured that the soundtrack will be great. But what will be in it? Or rather, what should be in it?
    What do you all think?
    Which themes should return?
    Which themes should be remastered?
    Do you want new musica styles?
    Do you want new instruments?
    Do you want a track with vocals?
    Should any non-John Williams tracks be included(from the games)?
    Are there any themes you hope don't return?

I myself can't wait till we get to hear the soundtrack.

Oh, I forgot the most important question: What will Bob's Theme be like?

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  2. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Well, I can't imagine we won't get versions of

The Force Theme
    Leia's Theme

My hope is that somehow, we get the original Imperial Motif as used in Star Wars (1977) but never used anywhere else once The Imperial March was created. I was hoping it would show up in Episode III as a bit of a sonic bridge, but that didn't happen.

I do hope that Battle of the Heroes & Duel of the Fates don't make it in. Those seem pretty solidly secured to Prequel stuff.

I guess I'd like some cues that are closer to The Asteroid Field - something really memorable, really propulsive, really interesting with all its sonic elements, but not part of the greiter leitmotif structure. There were some of those in the Prequels, but I'd like for there to be some really great music for what are essentially standalone moments in this film.

I'm cool if he stays away from the electric guitar this time out, but I wouldn't mind him dabbling a little bit with a synthesizer or two. He's always used them in really interesting ways. I'd also like for the piano to make a return, especially in the very percussive way he used it during Battle in the Snow in Empire.

Jcuk likes this.
  3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I love the soundtrack to A New Hope the most. John's use of dissonant chords and unlikely progressions really make that album stand out. I also love Empire, but for different reasons. Jedi... never really cared much for it. Too many themes I think. Don't really know the prequel soundtracks well enough to comment on them. I would love if JW goes back to something between ANH and TESB in execution.

4. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Being a musician and a classic enthusiast, I just feel we're in the safest of hands. From the Cantina Theme to Duel of the Fates, this guy elevated Star Wars to another level. Without his soundtracks, Star Wars would be a completely different movie, probably not a very successful one.

I don't have any particular ideas on the matter, because I just know that this guy can do no wrong. I hope to be pleasently surprised as I was with the choir arrangements in TPM (one of three things I like about that movie), and of course I expect classic themes to return, specially with the Big 3 back. Call it fan service or whatever, but that's going to happen for sure and I bet it'll be great.

I don't expect new instruments, themes from games or any other variation. The guy is over 80 and he has already scored 6 Star Wars movies with a powerful but very traditional approach, I'm just expecting more of that. This is probably Episode VII's safest bet.

Go go, go Johnny go go!!=D=

Baron_Papanerd and Darth_Corvus like this.
  5. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Oh I am expecting plenty of fan service from Johnny boy.

Yes, he is very traditional in his soundtracks but he does experiment from time to time(like in Jabba's Palace).

I wonder what he could accomplish with any combination of bagpipes, tribal drums and bamboo flutes.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A soundtrack of pure hardcore rap and death metal. John Williams will provide the screaming voice.

7. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    My office is located next to a subway station where a dude plays the bagpipe about three times a week from 3 to 5pm. Let's just say I've come to hate bagpipes passionately. But, maybe Johnny can make me face my trauma and enjoy the sound once again.

8. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Someone has been hearing the latest Body Count album

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah I'm a Rauchenstein kinda guy.

10. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I definitely want more weird diegetic music like the Cantina or Max Rebo Band. Aside from the Gungan celebration in TPM, I sorely missed that kind of thing in the Prequels.

Some themes I want to return...

-The Force theme
    -Leia's theme
    -The Dune Sea of Tatooine (since we're going back there, this would be a cool one if some characters are searching around in the desert for Luke or something)

I'm excited about all new themes because it seems like a lot of themes won't be applicable to the ST because they're so specific to Eps. I-VI, like Yoda's Theme, Across the Stars, Duel of the Fates (maybe), the Imperial March (maybe), the Emperor's theme, etc. I can't wait to see what new iconic themes Williams will come up with for the brand new characters/factions/etc.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  11. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Now that would be an amusing chance. As Bao Dur said: Bold. Let's do it.

Ganger: Well nobody really likes bagpipes. I just felt I shouldn't exclude the possibility of any traditional instruments. I'm currently listening to this:

Uematsu is as much a demigod for videogames as Williams is for movies.

Rauchenstein?

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or we could have kazoos...

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    My personal favourite is the Empire soundtrack. In particular the Falcon escape sequence from Hoth which leads into the asteroid chase. That whole part (with the malfunctioning hyperdrive and the crews desperation to fix it) and all the while the Empire is relentlessly trying to capture them, totally captures the very essence of Star Wars in a nutshell.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe John Williams and JJ Abrams have enough clout to get Bill Clinton to play the saxophone while dressed as a bith in ep VII...

[​IMG]

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  15. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Good Thread!

John Williams music is as important to Star Wars as the visuals. :D

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone knows the score will be of the very highest quality. My only slight concern (and I don't wish to sound morbid) is will the legend JW still be around come IX? I certainly hope so but you have to be realistic I'm afraid.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah I mean can you imagine all those scenes with different music? Or none at all? Nah.

A totally valid concern. People weren't sure he would come back to the ST. I hope he will make it, but on the off chance he doesn't. Who would you want to replace him?

Come on, people. the Bad Guy thread is ahead by about 600 pages. :D

18. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I can't imagine that Giacchino won't get the call.

I thought he was going to get the call anyway, honestly. Williams being hired surprised me.

so yeah, considering Giacchino's history with Abrams, and his very impressive resume - I'd imagine it's going to be Giacchino who would get the shoulder-tap.

Although, personally - I'd also like to see Bear McCreary get a shot, as his score for Battlestar Galactica is some of the best film work I've heard in like, 20 years. It's that good. Definitely up there with Lord of the Rings so far as use of leitmotif goes.

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Who would I want to replace him?...genuinely stumped on that one. Who did the score for the LOTR trilogy?

20. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Howard Shore. Although I don't know if he fits well with the Star Wars aesthetic. Even his cheerful/adventurous stuff has a certain tone to it that I'm not sure fits with the vibe of Star Wars.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.