main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music when Obi Wan sees clones for the 1st time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by adlion94, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adlion94

adlion94 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2005
    What the the cue that plays when Obi Wan first observes the clone army (in the middle of AOTC) from a balcony?

It was also used to kick off the :30 TV commercial introducing Jango Fett and sequed into the conveyor belt cue. It's military in nature with a marching beat and is probably a pretty short cue. It's not on the soundtrack album.

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, it is on the AOTC soundtrack. It's the Trade Federation theme that plays at 2:45 of track 9 - "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit".

Magnificent, isn't it? :D

3. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    Could anyone provide (or PM me) a link to the thread involving the discussion as to why the trade federation theme was played during Obi-Wan's inspection of the clone army?

I thought I might post here to avoid beginning a useless thread that would only be locked upon response anyway. I tried finding it the other day with no success.

Thanks.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Why was it used?

Good question; I don't know either. Some people try to explain it by comparing the clones to the Federation or something like that. Hogwash.

It's just there because it's the only PT theme that would have worked in such a "grand" scene. No symbolism; no subtle meaning.

5. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, it just sounds militaristic... and cool.

6. Charth_Maul

Aug 5, 2001
    Militaristic...yes.

But still a little tacky.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's a good theme for how impersonal the armies of the PT (and later, the Empire) are. Hence it's being here.

Plus it just kicks ass. These guys are gonna replace the droids as The Army.

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Why is it tacky?

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "It's a good theme for how impersonal the armies of the PT (and later, the Empire) are. Hence it's being here."

Blah, blah, blah. I don't think that's why it's there. That scene does not seem to be emphasizing the impersonality of the clones at all. It seems to be showing the grandeur and power of the clones more than anything.

It doesn't really seem to have anyhing to do with the impersonality of the clones and the droids.

"Plus it just kicks ass."

Now you're on to something.

10. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Well, since the images of both the Clone army and the Droid army, from "Attack of the Clones" and "The Phantom Menace, respectively, do share a correlative, thematic, and primarily visual connection, then it would make sense to play similar music to further enhance those underlying issues and similarities. In "Phantom Menace", the Droid army was introduced as a generally ineffective means through which the Trade Federation sought to enforce control on Naboo; in "Clones" the Clone army was likewise introduced as an 'improvement' in which the Republic would be able to effectively counter the "antiquated" Droid technology. The visual compositions (as they pertain to the Droids/Clones and the music in question) in both films owe more than a little to Nazi propoganda filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, as Lucas specifically cites or emulates her expansive wide shots of the legions of SS officers standing in formation in 1930s Germany. Riefenstahl's "aesthetic" reached its apex with what is perhaps her most well-known film, one which Lucas clearly awknowledges in Episodes 1 and 2, the technically brilliant, but morally questionable documentary, "Triumph of the Will" (1935). To suggest that there might be any connection between the (forming) Empire and the Nazi regime would, of course, be quite absurd.;)

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Remember that the Rebel Fanfare was played when the Millennium Falcon was drawn into the Death Star and that Leia's theme accompanied Luke's rage over Kenobi's death.
    Neither of the above makes much sense, but musically, it fits the mood.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with Sithy and Lars...

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    At one point, I speculated that Episode III might be titled "Triumph Of The Sith".

Of course, I was wrong. :p

(Hey, I got 75% of it right!)

14. Charth_Maul

Aug 5, 2001
    Tacky, I guess, because I would normally associate clones with the imperial march over the federation's theme, but I suppose the idea of creating that mood and then not introducing the imperial march theme right off the bat makes sense. I really don't have any problems with it or anything...was just a curiousity I had in AOTC.

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Tacky, as in...

2 : not having or exhibiting good taste: as a : marked by lack of style : b : marked by cheap showiness

I think that cue was in good taste and it had style.

People complain about the use of the IM in "Dawn Of The Empire" as "cheap showiness" (though I feel it was highly appropriate for that scene). I think using it with the clonetroopers on Kamino would have been too heavy-handed foreshadowing.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yeah. Like Lucas says about the ending: That's the beginning of the Empire right there.

xeltek, 1981-2005 - may you rest in peace @};-
    /LM

17. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Don't they play that agin at the end of the movie?

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.