main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Music

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by morgan-aleghieri, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Because everyone needs a place to talk about what they're currently listening to and pimp their favourite bands. :p

Today my bands/artists for the pimping are:

Kate Miller-Heidke;
    Frou Frou;
    and Frou Frou's leading lady - Imogen Heap.

Kate Miller-Heidke is an Australian artist who is slowly making her way to stardom. She has a quirky style, and a basis in opera. She's done a few operatic versions of songs, including: Staying Alive (The Bee Gees), Psycho Killer (Talking Heads) and Toxic (Brittney Spears).

Video clip of her new single "Words"

I think she's fantastic - she always manages to look like a little doll as well xD
    I'm going to see her at the Tivoli in June - She's a great perfomer.

Frou Frou was a British electronica duo composed of Imogen Heap and Guy Sigsworth. They have a hint of the ambience of dreampop. Well, I don't have as much to say about Frou Frou and Imogen heap as I did for Kate, but basically I love Imogen Heap's voice, and that I recommend the music. The myspace links up the top have clips of their stuff as well so as to get the general idea ;)

Well, I think that's enough pimping from me [face_whistling]

2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    <-- Listens to Meat Loaf pretty much all the time. I tink i have listened to Bat Out of Hell III maybe twice a day since i got it last september. it is pretty much going all the time I am near my PC or CD player [face_dancing]

3. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    well it's probably no secret but my two fav bands of the moment are Gentle Ben and his Sensitive Side andSixFtHick, both Brisbane bands that play locally reasonably regularly. well, GB&HSS are on a bit of a break at the moment to get together some new material, but they'll be back on the live scene in July (if not earlier).

4. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    also listen to Bon Jovi, Shania twain, and sheryl crow a lot. Cant say i have a firm genre that im into or anything.

Have a bunch of soundtracks i have going on occaison: SW, LOTR, Warcraft, BSg

5. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    And an addenum to this thread:
    As much as you may want to, you cannot bag someone else for their choice in music. You could go as far as saying how an artist/band someone else likes bothers you, but yeah. Let's keep it civil/constructive.
    [face_batting]

My [i]current[/i] choice of music is:
    - [link=http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/]Verve Remixed #3[/link], the latest in DJ remixes of classic Jazz.
    - [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillout_Sessions]Chillout Session 9[/link], by the [link=http://www.ministryofsound.com/]Ministry of Sound[/link]. ("Uh, what is [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_out_music]chillout[/link]?")
    - [link=http://www.pocket-symphony.com]Air - Pocket Symphony[/link] (Air's site just for the album). This said, I'm yet to go through this album in one session. Masters of Ambience they are.

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Good thinking Goobs :)

7. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Currently listening to...

Colbie Caillat
    [image=http://myspace-417.vo.llnwd.net/01533/71/40/1533820417_m.jpg]
    KT Tunstall
    [image=http://www.greysanatomyinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/kt-tunstall.jpg]
    And as always..
    Sarah Mclachlan
    [image=http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/11/381/images/00335196_lg.jpg]

8. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    well...

My tastes are pretty eclectic

• Jonathan Coulton

• Tenacious D

• Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica etc

• Foo Fighters

• Optimus Rhyme (Rap/Funk/Rock nerdcore group who rap about Forums and transformers and the like)

• Weird Al

• Led Zepplinn

• Pink Floyd

• Dropkick Murphys

There's alot more, but i cbf listing it all.

9. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    the only new album I have got for a while (this month) was the new one from "love outside andromida" its a bit darker than the last but still good
    man can she sing

10. BarWars

BarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
  11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Okay, this doesn't exactly fit with the thread but...

Strange thing happened this morning on the train. Normally when you hear music blasting from the earphones of one of the kids on the train you expect it to be either metal, rock, or pop, right? Not this time. It was the string quartet Bond - and yes they are a little bit rock and a little bit pop, but last I checked even funked up classical music wasn't classified as "cool" among kids today.

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Nah, I think Bond made funked up classical cool a few years back. [face_thinking]

And I don't see why that doesn't fit the thread Loz :) though some suggestions for thread use have been set down, the topic of "Music" is fairly broad and open for exploration.

I think the last thing I had blasting out of the speakers of my discman was La Boheme... Opera doesn't quite work with public transport - It's either too loud or too quiet.

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Lozza, last month the Aussie Hip Hop group The Hilltop Hoods released (and also performed) a re-release of an album (The Hard Road), but rerecorded with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (The Hard Road: Restrung). Could have been that.

Not my kettle of fish, but sounds a lot better than without the Orchestra. I did like the Metallica / San Fransisco Orchestra collaboration though. Metal/Rock (depending on how old a fan you are) and Classical instruments work.

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Strange thing happened this morning on the train. Normally when you hear music blasting from the earphones of one of the kids on the train you expect it to be either metal, rock, or pop, right? Not this time. It was the string quartet Bond - and yes they are a little bit rock and a little bit pop, but last I checked even funked up classical music wasn't classified as "cool" among kids today.

What was the age and gender of the kid listening to it? Cos if it was a teenage male, there's your answer :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005

Actually, yeah. But since when the the music = the image. Sure they might buy the CD for the pretty pictures, but that doesn't mean they actually PLAY the thing.

And yes, it was Bond, it was loud enough that I could clearly identify and hum along to. It was their "Classified" album I believe, because the track playing at the time I noticed it was "Explosive".

16. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm really enjoying the new They Might Be Giants album. It's not physically released until July, but it's already available in the US as an iTunes exclusive, so (to borrow a term from Marv) I asked an American friend to describe the tracks. For the most part, I'm impressed.

A lot of the band's creativity lately seems to have gone into their concepts and business, with forays into podcasts, children's music, online EPs, concept albums of live spur-of-the-moment songs about each venue at which they perform. Musically, though, I think they've been too far in their comfort zone for a while. I adored their last proper adult studio album The Spine, but it did feel like they were playing it safe.

With The Else, they've made a serious rock album; something they haven't really done since 1994. The Dust Brothers co-produced, and their influence really shows. My favourite track, Withered Hope, almost sounds like a remix with its energetic drum loops, and it really works.

Not all the tracks work for me, but nothing at all could be called filler, and for TMBG that's a rare thing. I wouldn't recommend this to newcomers (a lot of their back-catalogue is a hell of a lot more fun), but as a long-term fan I'm just glad they're changing direction. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Excellent. I bought Flood way back when and it was promptly 'nicked', at which I took offence and never bought another TMBG album. I acknowledge this hurt no-one but myself. But anyway glad to hear they're back into the rockin' and the rollin'.

18. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    LOL @ Paris Hilton dumped from warner

"As with global warming and the handgun crisis, future generations will judge us harshly for not preventing Paris Hilton's music career while there was still time," predicted Rolling Stone critic Rob Sheffield.

[face_laugh]

19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    My new favourite bad, they are awesome, they are cool and they're a massive hit over here.

The Zimmers

Kithera

20. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    My current playlist is mostly instrumental, as I'm playing it whilst I'm studyin - though in my case, often straight music is more of a distraction as I try to pick out the parts :p

So we have:

21. Bond (as in the string quartet not the James) - A mixture of two albums I believe, it's whatever I aquired off Bek :D Fav Bond song - Duel :D

22. Michael Flatley's Feet of Flames - featuring original music composed by Ronan Hardiman and in a couple of tracks featuring Michael Flately on Flute

23. Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance - Featuring his dancing on a couple of tracks (Utterly divine!!)

24. Vanessa Mae - An extraordinary violinist from Vietnam (I think it was vietnam), I've got a few of her songs from various albums

25. This music is making me really want to go back to dancing. We dance to a few of the songs off the celtic cd's, and I would dearly love to choreograph dances to alot of the music!! Also making me want to pick up my violin and play again! Must find decent music to practice! :D

26. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Recently got the new Powderfinger album, Dream Days at the Hotel Existence, I'm liking it. Enough of a new sound to not be the same stuff, and enough of a grounding in the old sound to not be too much of a departure. Might take a listen or two, like most Powderfinger albums seemed to do, but very addictive.
    Plus it comes with a DVD of some of their best video clips, all for $18 from most big-ish places.

Also new Linkin Park, I dunno, they've dropped the FX etc., which was partly what differentiated them, so this pretty-much sounds like any number of other bands. Will be hanging out for Snow White Tan though, Chester's side project with the Julien-K guys (Ryan and Amir from Orgy).
    [EDIT] Just read on the Julien-K site that one of their songs is going to be in Transformers! (No, not that lame theme song).
    [EDIT PART 2] Looks like "Snow White Tan" is now called "Dead by Sunrise"

27. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I've only given the new Powderfinger one background listen, but I can't say it really jumped out the same way Internationalist and Oddyssey #5 (still my favourite) did. A bit too straightforward and safe for my liking. Still, good on them for trying something a little different. I'm sure it will grow on me.

The bonus DVD is great value too, and I'm a sucker for "Deulxe Edition" packaging.

28. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Oooh I've been meaning to pick up the new Linkin Park album. Been a huge fan of them since waaaay back :D Looking forward to hearing it :D

29. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    A poorly planned afternoon at the powerhouse meant I missed darren hanlon (he was on later than I had bee advised, and I had to leave as my ride was leaving) meant I instead got to see Glenn Thompson's latest outfit 'Beachfield'. Glenn Thompson, I am sure you all know, is the most recent drummer from the Go-Betweens (you know, before grant died) and also the last drummer for Custard as well as performing various other roles in lesser known brisbands such as COW and adults today.

Anyway, they were very good. Check them out.

30. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    You know the music on those "epic maneuver" pages at YTMND.com? (An example)

Found out the band's name who does that music is called Nightwish, and the track is called "Ghost Love Score". and i think I have become obsessed with this band :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.