main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Musical Death Watch: Robert Sherman 1925-2012

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Didn't know that we had one of these. :p

One of my all time favourite artists. I like a few Stealers Wheel songs, primarily "Star," but I think Rafferty really came into his own when he... was on his own. City to City in particular is an extraordinary album, with both of Rafferty's absolute masterpieces - "Baker Street" and "Right Down the Line".

Night Owl is the natural continuation - at times it seems too natural, and a little too samey in parts, but it's still impressive. "Days Gone Down" is a song that I feel I shouldn't really like, but I do anyway. The title track is wonderfully melancholic. And Gerry Rafferty's "The Tourist" was much better than Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's.

Snakes and Ladders doesn't really do it for me, but I was listening to "Syncopatin' Sandy" today, and the, erm, induced alcoholic intake of the song's "character" has a bit of a different light to it given the circumstances of Rafferty's death. I haven't listened to any of his albums beyond Sleepwalking, which is a little limp apart from the title track. It's hard to deny that the alcohol really did affect Rafferty hugely - that and the fact that his music didn't really move with the times strongly enough.

Nevertheless, a great artist whose work takes up a healthy portion of my iPod. RIP.

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Musicians don't seem to have long lives; whether it is addictions, or what, I don't know.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's too bad, I loved his score for Out of Africa. And everyone knows the James Bond theme, such an iconic piece.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think his scores were part of what made the Bond films what they were. I'm sad he's gone.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    My favorite Barry score is the 1976 KING KONG. Sure, most people dislike this film but IMHO it's vastly underrated, subtle, moving and powerful -- not the least because of Barry's emotive score. Even critics of the film on its initial release noted the excellent music. Barry's signature action cue -- four minor notes played on a viola [I think] with the last note sustained ["da-na-na-naaaaaaahhhhhh!"] -- is used to superlative effect here, to increase tension and intrigue.

Most of the pre-Brosnan Bond films were scored by Barry (his last was The Living Daylights in 1987). In 1961 he arranged Monty Norman's simple chord progression into a unique theme music subsequently recognized the world over. It was Barry who first set those chords to a guitar backed up by brassy trumpets to produce that cheeky, 60s signature sound.

The man won five Oscars! Dances with Wolves, Out of Africa, The Lion in Winter and Born Free. Other famous (and infamous!) scores include Zulu, Midnight Cowboy, Robin and Marian, Starcrash, The Black Hole, Body Heat, The Cotton Club, and The Scarlet Letter. The last film score he composed was Enigma in 2001.

Barry was one of the greats, and though it's hard to ask for much more than 77 years, he will be missed.

@};-

9. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I know it's hard to pick a favorite movie score from John Barry's career. ALL of his melodies are both majestic and grand. But, for me, there is no piece of music that echoes the scenery of it's film more than Dances With Wolves. I hadn't known much about Barry back then and didn't even know he did the James Bond theme (the 007 theme will always be a part of me, literally--it's in my nic!
    His music will be missed for the future, but what a legacy of beautiful melodies to be immortalized with!

10. Kaul

Kaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm listening to the On Her Majesty's Secret Service main theme as I type this.

RIP, John Barry. @};-

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I'd heard about this last night, but even this morning I'm still reeling. One of the very few composers who could elevate a film purely by his contribution. His contribution to the Bond films has never, and will never be matched. Nor can it be quantified. To say the least, this is a huge loss to the world of film, even if he had retired after Enigma.

This is what I'm listening to. One of the most rousing pieces of film music ever.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    To be honest I had no idea he had done Dances with Wolves, which has some of my favorite themes ever.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Since everyone's already mentioned his most prominent scores, I'll mention one that's a favorite of mine because I like the film so much. I love the atmosphere John Barry's music gave to Lawrence Kasdan's directorial debut of film noir, Body Heat, in 1981.

Body Heat Theme by John Barry(1981)

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Oh, absolutely. The predominant thought I had during that entire film was just "JOHN BARRY." It's a superb film, but Barry is responsible for about 50% of its overall quality.

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Margaret Price, the Welsh soprano, who's voice was perfect for many of the Mozart,and later progressed to some beautiful Verdi roles, passed away last week.

BBC orbituary

Her interpretation of Dove sono from Le Nozze di Figaro is possible as good as you can get it.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I hadn't heard of her (which means nada) but that's a beautiful voice.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I suppose enough has been said about Barry, but let me just mention one unjustly forgotten score which was his elegaic, mournful work for Downey Jr's Chaplin.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And today Gary Moore passed away. He played the guitar in Thin Lizzy, and then became a great solo guitarrist.

Over the hills and far away is probably one of my top 3 favorite rock/pop pieces of all time.

BBC news story

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Larry "Wild Man" Fischer died yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlqB8dhgZM - featuring Frank Zappa on guitar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSqdYQyYn5s&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAGWpBnuozE&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFC7DWf5W_0&feature=related

Collaborated with Frank Zappa, Smegma, Barnes and Barnes, Mark Mothersbaugh and Rosemary Clooney. He also recorded the first single for Rhino Records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txjwas_IKuc&feature=related Here's some clips from the documentary Derailroaded.

I'm so sad about this. This is way more depressing than when Beefheart died.

20. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzoum5YKD4 "Don't Be a Singer" by Wild Man Fischer. Another one of his best, and so true.

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Never listened to her music, but when they broke this on the news yesterday, I really wasn't surprised at all. Assuming this is substance-related, this seemed inevitable.

24. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Inevitable maybe, but still sad nonetheless.

Yet another one who went at 27.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The '27 Forever' Club includes Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, Kurt Cobain, and Robert Johnson.

Seems to be a dangerous age.