Amph Musical Death Watch: Robert Sherman 1925-2012

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Never been a fan, but she had a very special voice and some nice songs. Not surprising though, considering her addictions.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I actually feel like this is a legitimate tragedy. She hasn't done much of anything for the last five years and her substance abuse problems had just damaged her body too much for her to live very long. But when she was on top . . . God, she was incredible.

Winehouse covering, and absolutely killing, The Zuton's Valerie as an entirely acoustic song; and she's not even trying. I think this is my favorite thing she ever did. God, drugs and alcohol are evil. She's dead at 27, but they essentially ended her career at 22 or 23, which is just unbelievably frustrating for anyone who cares about music. She could have been so much more than she was; and she was pretty great, even at that.
  3. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with everything Rogue says above. I've found her death moving in a way that has surprised and saddened me. I don't like much popular music these days, but I find (most of) Amy's stuff to be jaw-droppingly good. Back to Black is haunting and beautiful, all the more so in light of her passing.

A commentator in a recent article pointed out that we have 40+ years of Frank Sinatra records. With Amy Winehouse, we have two. It's just so, so, so sad.
  4. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Two notables passed away in the last couple days:

"The world lost two legendary songwriters this week as Nick Ashford died at the age of 70, and Jerry Leiber passed away at the age of 78. Ashford, who penned such Soulful hits as "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I'm Every Woman" with his wife Valerie Simpson, had been treated for cancer. He died on Monday at a New York hospital with his family at his side, publicist Liz Rosenberg told Reuters.

Meanwhile, Leiber was part of the songwriting duo Leiber & Stoller, and they penned early Rock & Roll hits such as "Jailhouse Rock," "Stand By Me" and "Love Potion No. 9." Leiber died Tuesday of cardio pulmonary failure, according to Reuters. His longtime publicist, Bobbi Marcus, said the writer was surrounded by family when he died unexpectedly at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles."
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Leiber & Stoller sort of created the blueprint for rock & roll. Out of blues and country, yes, but still an achievement.
  6. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  7. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  8. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  9. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Amazing talent. At Last is the one everyone seems to know and it's a very worthy song, but her catalog is loaded with songs just as good and sometimes even better. Great, great lady.
  11. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  12. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    I know i thought it was a twitter hoax at first. I still can't believe. I thought she was getting better since she was away from Bobby.
  13. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Most will remember her songs which will now be immortal, but the one moment that stands out for me was watching the Super Bowl in '91 during the first Gulf War when Whitney sang the National Anthem. That performance, along with the fly by gave me chills to this day and made me proud to be an American! No one has or will ever come close to topping that.

Whitney Houston sings the National Anthem
  14. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hadn't seen that clip before...what the *hell* is she wearing? It looks like a mechanics uni from the the Indy 500.

The voice is fine and she didn't forget the words. The problem with that song is that you need an operatic voice to sing it properly.

The press is scrambling--as it did with Jackson--to adjust its templates from 'pathetic has-been' to 'Queen of Pop'. They are jackals.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Houston had an incredibly strong voice and a real command of technique. I tend to find most of her music insufferable, due to the lyrical content, which is often just blatantly awful 'faux-inspirational' power ballads. Stuff like The Greatest Love of All and How Will I Know? Those are actually horrible songs. Maybe because of this, Houston was never able to, in my opinion, really sell her stuff emotionally. I think of people like Aretha or Ray Charles who also had tremendously strong voices and a firm grasp of technique, but could also just get into a song and sell the pure emotion at its core. Houston was the Beyonce of her day; the subtext of every song she sings is "watch me nail this song" and you don't really get any emotional high off of the song. It's all about the vocal stylings, which, as I say, Houston was a master of, but I prefer to really get inside the emotion of a song.

One song that I do really, really love by Houston is from the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. It's called Why Does It Hurt So Bad? and for once, she actually gets to the raw pain of the song. Maybe the power ballad was never really her thing; a song about suffering, she could own (and, as we've all seen, she had the right), but people expected a sort of yuppie, synthesizer triumphant anthem from her. And those just never really worked when she did them in my opinion. I think I still own her debut album on CD, but I haven't listened to it since I bought it. I pulled out Waiting to Exhale and gave Why Does It Hurt So Bad? another listen though. That holds up. One has to respect her technical talent and her natural gift, but her songs, by and large, frankly don't hold up. Too bad. She was a soul singer without any soul. R&B without rhythm or blues. She brought R&B, gospel and soul to the mainstream and, in doing it, she turned them into a mushy, decidedly unstirring and uninteresting kind of pop. At the end of the day, all the high notes in the world can't save an awful song or replace emotional resonance but it's thanks to Houston that a lot of people think that they do. Still a shame she had the troubles she did and a shame that she's passed at a pretty young age.
  16. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Thats a spot on assessment Rogue. I'd like to hear some of her gospel recordings if they're out there for those reasons you state.
  17. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
  18. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  19. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

In the shadow of the Beatles, and as a group contrived purely for a TV show, the Monkees and Davey Jones
    certainly weren't anything special musically. However, compared to Justin Bieber and Britney Spears,
    they practically qualify as Mozart.
  20. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/e/e9/ChekovMirror.jpg]

[image=http://thecount.com/wp-content/uploads/Davy_Jones_the_monkees.jpg]

I never could tell these guys apart.

The one on the bottom is the dead one, right?
  21. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

The one on the bottom is dead, yes.

The one on the top is still alive, but his career is dead.
  22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    But Koenig grew into a well-rounded person, with his own keys and credit cards...

"Daydream Believer" still functions as a song, I believe. RIP Davy Jones. Down to the locker you go.
  23. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Thanks, John, for making my day.
  24. quiller Force Ghost

star 2
    I thought their music was very effective and hit their audience on the spot. The music did well to highlight their show which I thought was entertaining. The show also knew what it was and didn't try to be something it wasn't. IT was all for comedy silliness and music. While some episodes might have a moral to them, the message or story did not drive the episode, the fun and games around music did. In some ways I think of them as a live action kids cartoon.

25. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    A good and fair assessment! Right on the money.

I always though this song below was their best "work." I think it was a rip off of the Beatle's Penny Lane,
    but it still wasn't bad. Parts of this cheesey video are actually pretty well edited which is more than I
    can say for a lot of stuff I've seen on MTV. However, that's a very iffy complement, it's no masterpiece,
    just a sitcom music video on a sound stage.

Pleasant Valley Sunday