main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Musicians] What are you playing right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, for people what play instruments - what instruments do you play and any songs you're learning or have just picked up for fun?

I have a Jackson Concert SX Bass:

[​IMG]

the two things I've been working on is figuring out a fairly utilitarian but otherwise straightforward bass line to Tycho's "Awake" by ear, and "Fatal Illusion" off the new Megadeth album.

There's a need little intro riff which goes like:

135bpm:

F||--------------|------------------------------------------------|
    C||--------------|--2p-0---0------3p-2p-0---2p--0---------|
    G||--------------|--------2---1h-2----------3--------3p-2----|
    D||-----------0--|-----------------------------------0-----------|

What about you guys - guitars? Bass? Drums? Piano? Turntables? Synths? Jazz flute (lol)?

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'd like to award you this trophy for successfully winning the JC sir.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The water joke is just as overplayed as the survival battle + or -2 joke!

Diggy likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Not a muso myself but I am curious about the "sound" of a five-string bass. How does that differ from the traditional four-string? I don't think any of the bands or artists I listen to use five-string.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It'd be like a 7- or 8-string guitar, basically adding 5 notes to the low end range - B (open), C (1st fret), C# (or Db if you want, woteva) (2nd fret), D (3rd fret), D# (Eb)(4th fret), E (5th fret or same as open for next string).

But I mean you could hear when someone like Flea or Jason Newsted uses those low notes, but then you get people like Victor Wooten who just destroy the idea of how a bass should be played or sound.

8. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it sounds like there's one extra string.

in all seriousness, the five-stringer makes the dia-roo-roo in your rectum rumble and froth a bit more.

tom and Ender Sai like this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Sounds like a Spinal Tap response to me lol

More notes, more tones I guess...

Best bass player, everyone?

I'm inclined to go with Jack Bruce from Cream who contributed very nicely toward the band's rhythm section.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lol you say that but you missed my Victor Wooten edit.

11. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    best bass player is jake booz from crumb. he makes my pup ping pong wildly inside my wreckdum.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Just saw it then.

Re Flea - Flea is excellent. A very underrated bass player because of the pop-rock aesthetic that makes for his reputation. There's so much more to Flea such as his work on the latest Tom Waits record which is incredible.

13. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    his work with thom yorks for the thom yorks music concerts is amazing too. i have a boot of one of the shows. it's like an orgasm of music. tom yorks music, that is.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I play the drums, but no other instruments. Played in bands in high school, and some in college as well. Now I just practice occasionally for fun.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    -2 Water

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was going to say Flea for best bass player as well. It helps to be in a band that really features bass well.

I haven't played bass in years, which is too bad because I used to be pretty good. I played a lot of Ben Folds Five songs (really fun bass lines) and I had a great teacher who taught me slap, which I was probably surprisingly decent at. My bass is a Fender Jazz bass.

Unfortunately, I learned it was pretty tricky to sing lead in my garage band and play bass at the same time, so I switched to rhythm guitar. I would love to actually learn to... Play guitar :p

And I haven't been able to play piano since college, the last time I lived anywhere with a piano. Again, that was largely Ben Folds stuff. Which can be challenging when you're not a guy with massive hands like he is.

So mostly I just play a ton of folk, Johnny Cash, and all the fantastic things Johnny somehow did folk country covers of. Like I said, I'd like to learn finger picking style.

17. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    You should learn now and get ahead of the curve. Nekhbet put MJH up against Willard Smith in her sexy person contest and it could bring fingermania to the jcc.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know what an MJH is.

My all time favorite folk guitarist is Jim Croce. That would be the ultimate lofty dream, but that could take years.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    A Japanese Fender P-Bass
    [​IMG]

I've recently been playing a bassline I wrote using an Arabic scale, for a song we called "Love Camel".

As for the best bass player, c'mon people, it's J.S. Bach

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    hmm, I also play bass. what's up with this

a good bassist doesn't need to be going mental playing slap like flea. I mean, the primus bassist is technically good but they sound like crap. give me colin greenwood any day

Darth Punk likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    we waste too much time on here, to be decent guitarists

Ender Sai, EHT and epic like this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    For Flea to be the best bassist, Victor Wooten must not exist.

THERE IS SO MUCH JAM THERE you could serve scones to the entire JC.

23. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I play bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, harmonica, ocarina, whatever I can find that makes a noise, and I've been playing a lot of weezer, blink 182, nirvana, etc with my band but we've got some originals we're gonna record and my guitarist just tried shrooms for the first time on my suggestion and almost immediately afterwards he decided he wanted to change the direction of the band from punk to psychedelic/shoegaze/chill music... Everything is all going to plan.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want to push your playing skills, go djent or progressive death metal. It's fun for everyone.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i play a lot of instruments, none particularly well.