main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Must see TV

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Call me crazy but I think that they've finally figured it out and the last few episodes of Heroes have been really good. Of course this happens right as the writers strike....

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Rich Writer 1: I don't make enough to keep writing this ****
    Rich Writer 2: Me neither let's strike
    Rich Writer 3: OK!!!
    Rich Producer: Whatever.
    Fans: Thanks alot *******s.

**** em all I say. Greedy d-bags all around.

3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    BBC America just announced that they will start airing Torchwood Season 2 episodes on January 26. With the episodes to start airing in the U.K. that month, it'll mean we'll be only days or a few weeks behind.

Phil

4. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Granted they could ALL use a pay-cut...but if the producing *******s are making hundreds of millions off of the creativity of the writers, then the writers should get a fair cut of that action. I feel the same way about sports stars...technically they should all get $15.00 a game and keep whatever endorsements they get, and if they aren't good enough to get endorsements then I got two words for that: learn to f*{#1n type...however, if the owners are making hundreds of millions off of their talent....well, you know the rest.

D'

5. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    If people stop shelling out $50 per ticket to see a game, we wouldn't have that problem. Same goes for movies/actors. I will never say that acting is EASY, but $20 million for 6 months effort?

OT: Razor this weekend! I can neither confirm nor deny that I have already seen this a few times, but "The Kendra Shaw Show" is a nice addition to the stable. I just wish I didn't have to wait another 6 FRAKKING MONTHS for new episodes.

6. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Pushing Daisies - OK, now that I'm caught up...I can officially say that this is the best damned new show of 2007 IMNSHO. Perfect fairy-tale production (think Tim Burton)....awesome dialogue (think Cohen Brothers)...an awesome cast, all of which are totally endearing, believable and likable. Figuring out the who-done-it in the murder mystery sub-plots are just an added bonus. Honestly, I'll put it against Heroes & Lost (1st seasons') for awesomeness. The attention to detail, comic timing, set, wardrobe, soundtrack and subtle use of CGI are the best I've seen.

I challenge anyone to watch the first 2 episodes of this show and tell me I'm wrong...

Pushing Daisies Trailer

Bosh
    "There's even They Might Be Giants music in it.

7. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Dude--you're wrong.

8. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
  9. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    The fact that you aren't puking your guts all over us with your inane commentary about it tells me that you obviously haven't watched it. I suppose you could have puked at your Blog...but I'll never know.....nor will anyone else for that matter.

D'

10. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Just when I go and compliment Heroes they go and have an absolute suck-fest of an episode this last Monday. It was almost unwatchable...actual it was unwatchable but I guess I have a high pain tolerance.

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah I watched it too and thought...WTF?! I guess next week is it and thankfully so, this season has been el terrible!

I hope Micah AND Nikki bite it.

12. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    From what I have read they have cut the story arch short for this season way short, due to the writers strike. Half of the episodes it seems will be shown.

Here is a list of shows and stuff that have been effected due to this bs strike.

Though it seems talks started back up yesterday. And I understand why it is beaning done and such and I support the little guys its just getting annoying. But strikes are popping up everywhere, rail in pairs was shut down even. But if they get new nice cars after thing I think they should be smashed, or at least stolen. Put them through some bs we have had to put up with.

One suggestion for the entertainment industry, one suggestion for you making money... STOP coming out with all this crap, and charging us the high prices for it.

I would like to get my news back up, The Daily Show.
    At least I have Discovery Channel and History Channel.

..........I think I need more sleep 2-3 hours isn't enough, damn end of semester.

13. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    I have watched Pushing Daisies, and I guess it's an acquired taste, cause to me it was trying WAY too hard to be clever, cute, and "different."

I'm sure you can say the same about Buffy, though, so go ahead: Say it.

14. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Peaches you should be a writer.

15. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Funny Matt, I actually thought that the sappy sentimentality in PD would be right up your ally. You seem to like that kind of thing a lot more than I do, and I'm not offended by it in PD. I don't know if it's trying to be "different" per-se. It seems to be trying to take a bunch of established formulas and squeezing them together in (IMHO) an interesting way. Dunno if you watched the pilot first, but it's definitely a show that needs the pilot as a base.

D'
    "Didn't you cry when Neo massaged Trinity's heart at the end of Matrix II?"

16. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    We did watch the pilot, and that's what turned me off--like I said, it just seemed too cutesy for its own good. I also didn't take to the idea of the two people in love who can't touch each other--seems like the kind of thing that would drive me nuts.

But I should give it another chance at some point. I have heard lots of good things about it.

"It's the only place where orange soda is an acceptable substitute for breast milk."

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    30 Rock was stupendous as usual last night.

"Wow 10 o'clock, thats like late!"

18. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Wil Wheaton's latest (long-delayed) entry in his episode-by-episode memoir of ST:TNG is up:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/12/03/star-trek-the-next-generation-datalore/

Choice moment in the synopsis:
    "Dr. Crusher promises Data that she'll keep the existence of his mysterious off switch to herself. Data asks her if she would want people to know about her off switch, if she had one. She laughs, and nervously glances at a bottle of Jaegermeister in her office."

19. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Heroes is done for a while, thankfully. The "finale" was as underwhelming as the rest of the season.

SPOILERS

At least Nikki is finally dead. I was hoping Micah would bite it too but I figured NBC wouldn't have the marbles to kill a kid and I was right.

Nathan getting blasted was a surprise though I can see them giving him a dose of his daughters blood and bringing him back.

Kensei being buried alive was rather lame but I guess they want to keep him around.

I'm disappointed that Maya survived.

Finally Sylar is back. It took WAY too long IMO.

20. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Spoilers---

I guess I can,t really agree on if Niki is dead or not. Remember the general rule of thumb with tv is if you don't see them die and see the body then they're not dead. They only showed the building blow up, no gurantees...in a world full of superpowers. Especially one where multiple characters are constantly healing and coming back from the dead. It's like a world full of "whiny" wolverines. lol

But, yeah, about time for the Sylar comeback! And I remain on the fence over Maya. I guess I hope her ability will evolve into something cooler. Especially now that her sappy brother is out of the way.

21. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, but when you saw that the vault was under video surveillance, you had to suspect it. My question about him ties into Horn-rimmed Glasses; is the healing from a blood transfusion a one-time shot? Noah didn't seem worried that they would hurt him, indicating that possibly he can heal indefinitely now. If so, Nathan already has Adam's blood and is good to go.

My complaint is STILL about Hiro and how stupid he and Peter must be. They can freeze time, right? Why let Adam get a sword to your throat? Why run back into the vault while the vial is falling? Thor's teeth! It's the damn Star Trek transporter all over again.

22. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Hiro and Peter are fracking dopes if you ask me. Why in these shows/movies are the characters with the most power are always total fools? Look at Anakin in the prequels! He's a total DOPE! Superman in Superman Returns! He's a DOPE!

In reality that would never happen. Peter would have killed Adam and then started surfing for 2girls1cup.

23. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The most powerful characters are usually the stupidest because it means the writers don't have to work hard to build suspense. It's generally a mistake to create a character with such a strong power(s), since they hold the solution to every peril. There are three general ways around this problem:

1- give the ultra-powerful character an ambiguous or detached personality; the ability to dictate events but not necessarily the will to do so (see: Dr Manhattan in "Watchmen", Achilles in "The Illiad")

2- give the character only fleeting control over those powers, or give the powers potentially dire consequences (see: both Hiro and Peter last season)

Unfortunately, the writers have gone with the third - and sh!ttiest - option:

3- make them forget (figuratively or literally) that they're essentially gods walking the Earth, reducing their effectiveness to the lowest possible level. It's akin to putting Chuck Yeager on a tricycle. (see: Hiro and Peter this season, Neo in the Matrix sequels, Picard at the end of ST:Generations)

Either way, I'm glad the last several episodes have only taken a few minutes of my time instead of precious hours. Hope the rest of the season (if there is one) gets better, if only for the people who are willing to stick it out.

-Le Penguin
    "I got more rhymes than JD's got Salinger"

24. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    So, we gave up watching Heroes about a month ago. Is it worth catching up to over the holidays?

D"

25. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I say no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.