Chic, IL Must see TV

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I posted [link=http://boards.theforce.net/chicago_il/b10152/13173483/p37/]in the wrong thread[/link], but I didn't care for it much.
  2. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    This one's for goat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948
  3. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
  4. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Sadly, it doesn't include my all-time favorite:

David Caruso: That was the killer's second mistake.

Other Guy: What was his first?

Caruso: [puts on sunglasses, looks into the distance] .... Murder.

[cue "waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!" by The Who]
  5. TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Master

star 4
    [link=http://www.buddytv.com/articles/flavor-of-love/flavor-of-love-premiere-season-15610.aspx]another one[/link] for darthgoat
  6. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have to take a pass on Flavor of Syphilis 3. After the last season where the girl crapped on the floor I'll be content to get my info from The Soup on this one.
  7. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Torchwood is back with a vengeance. Episode one has fist fights, two guys playing tonsil-hockey, and a blowfish driving a Mercedes CLK...and that's all in the first 5 minutes. Now throw in an oft-used "Star Wars" reference. The "this season on Torchwood" teaser at the end indicates the return of Martha Jones which, on a show that purports to bring the sex to Doctor Who, I am REALLY looking forward to.
  8. DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan

star 4
    do I need to see the new Dr. Who to enjoy Torchwood?

Do I need to see season one of Torchwood to enjoy season two?

My wife enjoys BSG...will she like Torchwood?

These are the questions that plague my brain.
  9. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You don't need to watch Dr. Who to enjoy Torchwood but there are several little things that you'll miss out on so I recommend at least watching Dr. Who Season 3. Besides the new Who is so great that you're doing yourself a great disservice by skipping it. That said start from the beginning if you can. Make sure though you tough it out through the first disc. It looks bleak, it seems lame and contrived but after the first disc the series REALLY turns it up to 11. I still miss Eccelston. He had a great chemistry with Billie Piper.

Anyways...

You could probably watch Season 2 of Torchwood without seeing 1 but like Dr. Who you're missing out on some great sci-fi.

I'd say if Ginna likes BSG there is a fair chance that she might like Torchwood and Dr. Who. There are a lot more sci-fi elements in Who-wood than there are in BSG. Some disbelief suspension is required.

I cannot wait till Saturday for the premiere. I hear BBC America HD is coming very soon. HURRY UP DAMMIT! I want mah HD Torchwood and Dr. Who S4.
  10. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yes and no. The lead character and the Torchwood organization are crossovers from Doctor Who, so you would have insight into the backstory, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Just know that they are a secret government organization trying to protect the public from non-terrestrial things.
    There's only one episode of season 2 so far, but I would say yes, you need the build-up and character development in season one to really get what's going on.
    I'm not sure one has anything to do with the other. If she likes X-Files, will she like Doctor Who? It's a much more "sci-fi" kinda show, where BSG is a good drama that just happens to take place on a spaceship. With Doctor Who, Star Trek, and Torchwood the tech and the aliens are the core of the story. With Star Wars and BSG the characters and their interactions are the core of the story, with space just being the backdrop.
    Really? I thought it was encephalitis.
  11. DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That too.

Thanks for the replies Haz & Goat--I plan to hit the bay infested by pirates to get both Dr. Who Season 1 and the last season of BSG, so we can catch up on the few episodes near the end we missed before Season 4. We also still have Razor in the DVR (I know, I know, we suck).

At least there's no good scripted television to get in the way of our catching up on this stuff.
  12. JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Is anyone watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I'm sticking with this one. For network TV, they're letting alot of stuff slip by (violence-wise), especially the concealed gun in the Terminator-teacher's leg. The writing could use a little work but overall and enjoyable series.

Also, did anyone catch the History Channel's "Life After People"? It's an examination of what would happen to Earth and the stuff we left behind if we suddenly disappeared from the land. Good stuff.

And, my other favorite new series is "Parking Wars" on A&E. It's "Cops" for meter-maids and men.
  13. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm sticking with Terminator as well. I really am liking it a lot.
  14. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Tin Man (mini) - Uber-bad! Although it's supposed to be a sort of retelling of The Wizard of Oz, it blatantly and uncleverly rips off several franchises and their over-used cliche's. The creators must really love LFL as there's ewoks, an ewok village, a head-honcho who kills her henchmen when they disappoint her...after which she looks over to the next guy and tell him he's promoted. The Tin Man wears a Fedora and a dusty old jacket. The Scarecrow is a prissy, worry-wort scientist or something...though I may be pushing it a bit to say he's inspired by Threepio, as Alan Cumming kinda plays that in every movie since he came out.

D'
  15. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Femme and I are working through Unddeclared (from the guys who brought you Freaks and Geeks and Superbad). The first episode was kinda meh but it really picked up and we're enjoying it quite a lot. Makes me miss the awesomeness of my early 20s in college.

Also Torchwood starts up again tomorrow. SWEET!!!
  16. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Surely there are masochists out there who are actually looking forward to [link=http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/]another season of being dicked around[/link] in lieu of solid storytelling. [link=http://www.cracked.com/article_15838_5-questions-lost-writers-need-answer-why-they-wont.html]Here's[/link] a quick primer before tomorrow night's premiere.

Personally, I'll stick with NYPD Blue reruns.

-Le Penguin
    "this is mainly due to the show's usual technique of having characters in the middle of a profound mystery suddenly confront someone with all the answers, and then not bother to ask them a single relevant question."
  17. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
  18. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Though that is Lost's greatest problem.....but that even happened with X-Files (Krycek anyone?). Frustrating as it is/was I didn't let it ruin the show for me. We've been watching the last 4 episodes over the last 4 days in prep. They should punch Juliette in the face for many reasons, not just to get answers out of her.

D'
  19. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I thought tonight's Lost episode was great and held great promise....right up until all hope was sullied by the sound of Fisher Stevens' voice on the Sat-Phone.

D'
  20. DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Y'know, it's weird...they replayed the Season 3 finale on Wed night, with little captions that had trivia and details, and we watched that...and THEN we sat through most of the recap episode they played before the premiere. So we had like three hours of refresher course, all of it making you believe the show is GOING PLACES.

Then, of course, it went really nowhere.

I don't feel so bad about it cause the direction in which they're not heading now has a lot of interest for me, since it's still fresh and new (as opposed to the Dharma direction they went in for like two-three full seasons, which got very old as the answers became less and less likely to appear). I just hope they pay this off and get us OFF the island at some point soon. I get that the island is the key to everything--that doesn't mean we need another 16 episodes of everyone drinking out of old plastic water bottles and wearing the same four shirts over and over again.
  21. Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master

star 4
    [link=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-ca-davies3feb03,1,3909490.story?ctrack=2&cset=true]The Los Angeles Times[/link] is reporting that the Sci-Fi Channel is picking up The Sarah Jane Adventures in April! It's mentioned almost in passing at the end of the 11th paragraph in an interview with Russel T. Davies.

Phil
  22. JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sarah Silverman is usually not funny IMHO, but check [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUowJzpgxs]this[/link] out.

"She's %$#@ing Matt Damon!!!
  23. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    New 30 Rock on April 10th.

That is all.
  24. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    New Knight Rider was horrific. It was just bad all around. An endless 2 hours of trying to cash in on nostalgia while selling you a POS Ford.
  25. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Eagerly awaiting the next new 30Rock. Anxiously dreading the last three episodes of "The Wire".

Anyone else keeping up with the best cop show ever?

-Le Penguin
    [link=http://www.avclub.com/content/tvclub/other_shows/knight_rider]Gratuitous Knight Rider bashing[/link]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.