main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Must see TV

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    If you're going to watch The Riches, you have to start from the pilot or it will make absolutely no sense what-so-ever. The first couple of episodes are hard to watch....as you have to adjust to Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver speaking in hick southern accents...but after that it's pretty watchable.

D'

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Just watch "Dress to Kill" a few times and fast-forward to the parts where Izzard does his shamelessly awful JFK voice... "peeple of Burlinn"

3. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Is the Jeff Vader bit in that one or "Definite Article"? Now I'll have to watch them both again. So sad. And by that I mean, awesome!

-Haz
    "Covered in bees!"

4. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The English language one is on "Glorious"... I think. Maybe "Definite Article." Tho if you have the "Dress to Kill" DVD, there's a subtitled French performance in the Extras with the "Steve Vader" bit, which adds a whole additional level of oddity

5. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Watched the first three episodes of Showtime's "Dexter" (Netflix online) to see what all the hype's about. Eh, the show is boring and suffers greatly from pacing problems. The premise is silly as well, they're trying to make the lead a "sympathetic psycho" but he's not enough of either to make his character interesting. It's not dark enough to be dark and it's not funny enough to be funny. The lead is watchable but everyone else on the show's acting is terrible, except for Geoffrey Pierson of course, who has the "tough as nails, buck-stops-here" TV Police commander in his DNA. The one, arcing plot-line of the season isn't intriguing at all, and the episodic sub-plots are pretty ho-hum as well.

D'

6. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I like it!

7. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, Dexter does kill Denise Crosby I can't hate anyone who kills Denise Crosby....can anyone.

D'

8. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    "Dexter" is on my list of Things That Sound Totally Awesome When A Pal Describes It To You, But Then Turn Out To Not Be Nearly As Good As They Could/Should Be

Also on this list:

Aqua Teen
    "8mm"
    Buffy Season 6
    Preacher (the comic book)
    Wendy's "Baconator"
    Christina Ricci
    All-Star Superman

"Chalk up another victory to the human spirit."

9. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Torchwood bows out and the Doctor returns. Good stuff, good stuff.

Oh, and a little thing called BATTLESTAR FRAKKING GALACTICA!

10. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    What'd everyone think of the Battlestar premiere?

11. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Ho.

Lee.

Frak.

I've had an epiphany.

The third faction, the "ship of lights", the angels...they've been here all along. In "Maelstrom" when the Leoban was showing Starbuck her dying mother, she turns to him and says, "You're not Leoban", to which he replied, "I never said I was." That's when I started to think that this third faction existed, that there was some other force guiding the fate of the humans. It all fits, they have brought in so many elements from the original series that it almost seems ludicrous that they wouldn't include this one as well. Then Kara comes back from seemingly being blown up, in a pristine, "resurrected" Viper with knowledge of where Earth is (exactly like Starbuck, Apollo, and Sheba did after THEIR visit with the Ship of Lights in the original series). So I started thinking...Baltar's head-Six...Six's head-Baltar...it's them, they are 'angels' too, and have been from the start.

It's all so perfectly clear, I can't believe I haven't seen it before now. And it makes me wonder how it's all going to play out. They have been guiding and manipulating things from the beginning, and not always in a way that their "hosts" agree with. Will they ever be revealed for what they are? What happens when everyone realizes they have been led and fiddled with? Belief in "God's will", or anger at having been manipulated?

We've had human civil war, now cylon civil war. When Six, Baltar and Starbuck found out that they haven't been hallucinating, that these beings are real and have been playing with them, will humans and cylons come together with their angel protectors and have a happy-happy-joy-joy time on Earth? Or will human and cylon join forces to fight off the Hosts of Heaven, the messengers from the One True God, so they can forge their own destiny?

And what's up with everyone's right eye? A clue to the final cylon model? I think so.

12. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The newest "30Rock" was pretty good, though there's no way it could have lived up to the anticipation caused by the writers' strike delay. The weekly column over at The AV Club suggests that the show is slow out of the gate and really shines best once it's settled into a good pace. Seeing as how the premiere episode, the 2nd season premiere and this week's ep were all kinda stuttering, it's as good a theory as any. Still a lot of funny stuff, not least of which were the Cathy joke and "we no longer want to hit that".

It's also time to officially put "My Name is Earl" on the "do not watch" list. We'd been sporadically keeping up with it every few weeks (missing an ep, watching two, etc) and Earl's time in prison was pretty entertaining for the first few episodes, but the most recent installments have been beyond awful, with no laughs at all except for the occasional Crabman line. Too bad, it was a heck of a good time for a while there.

"No one starts a meth lab in their parents' kitchen with anything but the best of intentions."

13. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah Earl has really gone downhill in this season.

Still, I hope Milf Island gets picked up. For the record, I liked Deborah better than Deborah. I'm just saying she played the game better IMO.

14. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    new season of Deadliest Catch starts tonight!

15. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I just saw "Exit Wounds," the second season finale of Torchwood.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I thought my jaw couldn't have dropped any lower than after last night's episode of Battlestar Galactica, but I was wrong. I'm not sure where they're going to go from here.

Phil

16. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I had the opposite reaction, with BSG getting my +1 WTF vote for this week. I mean, after they killed Owen, it's not like they could keep him around for very long. It was humorous that he couldn't drink anything because his digestive tract wasn't working, but if he couldn't heal when he got hurt, he really should have been decomposing. I am sad about Tosh, though.

Maybe the sting was mollified by the Doctor starting up at the same time. I don't like Catherine Tate, though. Not at all.

17. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Speaking of BSG, did anyone else notice that there was an object in Starbuck's painting that looked A LOT like the Ship of Lights from the old series?

18. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Hey, remember that time that on that one show where that guy did like the coolest thing ever in the history of cool stuff?

[image=http://208.116.9.205/10/graphics/pics/11518/Knightrider_turbo.gif]

Bosh

19. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    You're thinking of Mr. Wizard.

20. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
  21. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Resisting the urge to turn this into a "I remember that show" chatfest, I just want to say that Inhumanoids' fairly imaginative grotesquenesses (christ, should I trust Firefox when it says that's a real word?) set it apart from most of the other bland crap on TV at around the same time. Unfortunately, for every person who somewhat fondly remembers Inhumanoids, there are probably fifty who cling to the nostalgic idea that ThunderCats was anything other than a steaming pile of crap, one of any number of shows cranked out along the same 80s template of after-school timer-wasters. Get the Lion-o and his buddies wet, and suddenly they're TigerSharks. Put a set of metal wings on them, and bam: SilverHawks. Replace "evolved felines" with "evolved lizards"... DinoSaucers.

"D'Compoooossseee"

22. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Inhumanoids was great. My brother and I each had one of the big Inhumanoids and they were hella cool. We had the green tentacle monster and that bronzy demon monster. Man those were awesome.

23. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Lost- It just keeps getting better and better. Depending on how it ends really pitting this season against Season One for awesomeness (and that's saying a lot).

D'

24. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Well, I tried a

Deal or No Deal

post elsewhere and little interest was generated.

duh,

perhaps I should have said

STAR WARS deal or no deal

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/South%20Bend/NUP_130150_0238.jpg]

25. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Oof. Is there a keyboard command for "slowly shaking my head in resigned disbelief"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.