main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Must see TV

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    My Name is Earl is way up there on my list...within the top 3 for sure. There is not one thing that I dislike about this show....

Heros 1.2 - Ali's character is captivating as hell...I seriously wanna know what is going on w/ her and see where everything leads. HIGHLIGHT TO READ *POSSIBLE SPOILER*:**I am making a prediction that her "boyfriend/husband" was the skull in the desert. Also I believe that the "bad guy/father" is the one that will be setting off this bomb.**

Grey's Anatomy - My sister got me hooked on this show...and I'm not afraid to say that I actually like it. Very interesting ending to last week's episode...

Friday Night Lights - I love football...I love movies made about football...most TV shows that are made about football (some MTV B.S.) are probably a bad idea. After 1 episode, its a combination of the movies Friday Night Lights and Varsity Blues. I'll contiue to watch, just because I want this show to be good.

BSG - Too bad my parents dont get Sci-Fi...I'ma have to wait for Sunday Night / Monday to watch this.

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Wait til you get to the episode with Joy's wedding.

3. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The beauty pagent one was great where she enters with her "dead" mothers ashes.

"There is a cigarette butt in here!"

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    World of Warcraft players are going to want to watch this week's new episode of South Park, "Make Love, Not Warcraft." Comedy Central will rerun it tonight at 9:00 P.M. and 11:30 P.M., Friday at 11:00 P.M., Sunday at 10:00 P.M., and Monday at 1:00 A.M. Very funny stuff.

Phil

5. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    It is pretty damn funny. They got so much right about it. These guys either play or did an intense amount of research.

6. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    currently, due to all the CF excictement about paintball,
    I have my TIVO searching for some paintball to watch,

sure hope the CF event comes out on DVD, and has it's
    own release party:)

Found this source for TV paintball,

http://www.one4one.tv/

7. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    That South Park was hilarious. Even though I haven't played a single minute of WOW, I totally understood it. I can see Goat with an intercom calling Femme for more Hot Pockets while playing.

8. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I enjoyed the South Park/WoW show, but it felt kinda rushed. It's as if they saw a lot of humor in the game and either didn't have time or didn't have the experience to really make it something special. I did like (I think goat may have already mentioned this somewhere) that they loaded the in-game stuff with a buncha inaccuracies to piss off the uber-nerds.

Most of my TV this week consists of the baseball playoffs. Go LA, Oakland and whoever plays the Yankees.

-Le Penguin
    "I cannot believe what I just saw!"

9. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    If I ever did that I would get my ass kicked faster than you can say "DC'd".

10. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Actually, I can picture Femme playing the game Butters plays every night: Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Phil

11. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    I am sooooo glad I'm not you!

12. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    "Heroes" is starting to lose me.

The story itself remains intriguing, but the dialogue (and some of the acting) is so ridiculous that it's difficult to watch. Hiro, the cop and Ali Larter's stories** have the least amount of these shortcomings, so maybe it's no surprise that they're currently my favorites. On the flipside, the scientist and his female friend (who was so good in Brick but sucks here) are non-stop retched. It doesn't help that the entire subplot is pretty much pure exposition.

Speaking of Ms Larter, she's purty and does a fine job with the material, but I keep thinking that her part may have been meant for an older actress - if only because her son gets lines that were clearly meant for at least a teenager (I mean, no one thinks 9 year olds really talk and behave like that, do they?)

Still haven't watched "Dexter" yet... I'll have to give it a shot next time I don't have homework and/or WoW.

-Le Penguin
    **I tried to use "tales" here instead of "stories" in an effort to make a tale/tail double-entendre involving everyone's favorite non-British Ali. No luck, tho :p

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Project Runway for some reason got me hooked and it is going to end next week. Dammit!

14. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    First ep of "30 Rock" was more funny than not, though it suffered from trying a little too hard (a typical complaint when it comes to Tina Fey) and having Tracy Morgan in it.

Alec Baldwin, however, was great as usual.

-Le Penguin
    "5 inches, but thick."

15. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    "30 Rock" did try a bit too hard, and felt too on-the-nose, like you could see them laying the story and character pipe a bit too easily.

still, it did have enough laughs that I think I'll try to watch it. i need more half-hour shows--on DVR, it's 22 minutes and you're out. i can handle that.

16. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    gee, look at this,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lpzTPpfoi1k

comments?

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Better than the prequels.

18. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    i'm not really feeling compelled to watch all the episodes of Studio 60 on my DVR.

I'm not compelled to watch Heroes either, but I think I'll invest the time anyway, since it's still way more fun than Studio 60.

I have not yet seen a single goshdarned episode of BSG this season. again, DVR.

so far, this TV season is pretty shrug-worthy.

19. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I liked it when Lucas was like "Ep. #1, not so much."

20. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Studio 60 hasn't exactly been super-compelling, Sopranos-season2-level "must see" tv, I'll admit. But what it has been, I like a lot: an interesting mix of several well-developed characters' lives, lived entirely in the gray areas and played out in an engaging atmosphere/setting. The jokes could still use some work, though I liked "Nicholas Cage, Couples Counselor."

Now Heroes...

crap, here's a show that's really picking up. Even Dr Exposition's scenes weren't entirely bad this week. I still don't like the crappy dialogue ("I need to catch my breath before you can take it away"??? Kee-ripes, I've never wanted to punch a woman so badly), but the storylines in tonight's episode were something else. Ali Larter and the Artist's tales are coming along nicely, and it's neat to see the Cheerleader working on her abilities. And how about Hiro at the end there!? Was anyone else reminded of Valiant Comics' "Unity" miniseries back in the early 90s?

Now if they'd just get better dialogue...

-Le Penguin
    "Time is not absolute."

21. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I'm still digging S60. This week's episode was kinda "meh" but good enough. Next week's looks much more like what I've come to expect.

Heroes is just interesting enough to keep me watching. The trouble is that it has been moving at a snail's pace the last few weeks. Things are picking up though as Peng said.

22. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't know if the writing's getting better, or if it's just for budgetary reasons, but the people behind Heroes seem to have a firm grasp on the concept of "action should punctuate the story, not drive it." I'm starting to like the paradox of the villain/family man, though now that I think about it, almost everyone on the show (with the possible exception of Hiro) is somewhat morally ambiguous or at least has a dark side to themselves (some more literally than others) . Plus, I can only hope that Dr Exposition's actually faded into the background, at least for a few episodes. There's an old derogatory saying about the 3 Rules of Television:

1- Tell the audience what they're gonna see
    2- Show it to them
    3- Tell 'em what they just saw

Looking back, the last three episodes have gotten better and better as the producers get more comfortable with letting the audience figure stuff out on our own.

-Le Penguin
    "Everything's in English."

23. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    We just did a "Lost" marathon over the weekend and did the first 12 episodes. Been wanting to watch it for a while. So far every episode is awesome. Sadly I hear it loses its edge in the 2nd season.

D'

24. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
  25. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    i don't think I'll cry a tear. cannot BELIEVE this show is giving up HALF of Heroes' healthy audience. I'll probably rent the DVD at some point and try giving it a second chance.

speaking of heroes, we are caught up to about last week on our watching. this show is fun as hell. clever plotting and great twist endings. good times.

yeah, bosh, lost will severely disappoint you in the second season. but that first season is bliss, especially if you haven't seen it before. that's a fun experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.