Chic, IL Must see TV

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Too bad about Studio 60. I really enjoy it, but I've learned from too many other occasions that my kind of shows rarely last long on network TV.

"Heroes" continues to roll. Sadly, it's dumbed down enough so that there haven't really been any surprises so far, but the plot and characters hold up well even without relying on unexpected twists (I guess expected twists will have to do.) Both times the "big message" were relayed tonight had real power, thanks primarily to the reactions of the people hearing it. As usual, the dialogue is pretty cheesy and the acting fluctuates wildly from actor-to-actor, but the plot and characters more than make up for it. It sorta reminds me of when Dave Cockrum was drawing X-Men: his art was often painful to look at, but Claremont's writing kept me reading.

-Le Penguin
    "I had a sword."
  2. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'm giving a "heads up" that "Weird Al" Yankovic will be performing "White and Nerdy" this evening on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 10:35 P.M. on NBC. I don't have access to a TV for a couple weeks. Would someone be able to record it for me?

Phil
  3. JediFalcon25 Jedi Master

star 2
    Dexter on Showtime has been a kool show!
  4. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Heroes has given, again, just enough to keep watching though if they don't start doing something soon they are gonna lose me due to boredom.
  5. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I had planned on writing something about Studio 60, 30 Rock and Heroes, but it'll have to wait. This piece of "news" has honest-to-god made me a little sick inside...

-Le Penguin
    "Believe half of what you see
    and less of what you hear"
  7. Fett402 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did anyone catch that new game show "Show Me the Money" with The Shat last night??
  8. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Shatner tried to destroy the metal but the metal had its way.
  9. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I still can't say that 30Rock is a very good show, but Alec Baldwin is consistently awesome. His "blooper reel" this week is an instant classic.

-Le Penguin
    "I said don't tell me!"
  10. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dunno if anyone here is watching Smallville, but if so, does anyone agree with me that the mysterious character at the end of this past episode is Martian Manhunter?
  11. kosure Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm with you on both counts. Alec Baldwin is ******* high-larious
  12. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    We just finished Season 2 of "Lost". Granted, the 2nd season wasn't as great as the first, but it wasn't that disappointing. With the exception of the stupid religious over-tones it was still pretty intriguing IMHO. Starting Season 3 this week.... should be caught up with the actual air-dates by Episode 3.8 by my estimate.

D'
  13. DrJawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm finally getting hooked on Heroes but tonight will be the episode that decides if I keep watching or not after this week.

Gilmore Girls I'm very happy to say has actually recovered very well after the huge creative change though I can't say I'm thrilled with the choices the characters are making. But I guess that's what makes good television.
  14. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Save the cheerleader, save the world..........
  15. DrJawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh the mysterious character at the end of the last Smallville was indeed Martian Manhunter. The give away as to who it was, was the oreo cookies which in the comic he dubs humankinds greatest invention.
  16. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The OJ book & TV special have been canceled. Nice to see there's some sense of decency out there...

-Le Penguin
    "I didn't do it."
  17. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm really surprised someone hasn't taken a shot at him.
  18. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess that deep down in that shriveled black hole that Judith Regan calls a soul she decided that there is a sense of right and wrong in the world.

HA!! Just kidding...some bean-counter weighed the odds figured out that the bad publicity wasn't worth the overall publicity in the ledger.

Bosh
  19. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally went HD and now I have to give Comcrap more money just to obey the FCC law. Nice...

On the upside un-upconverted DVDs look fantastic as do my game systems. I'll have to look into an upconvert player sometime in the semi-near future.
  20. Fett402 Jedi Knight

star 3
    What TV did you two end up going with??
  21. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    We got a Sharp Aquos LC-32D40U. It is a 32 incher which is plenty for our downstairs. Trouble is I am noticing a LOT of ghosting in non digital channels even with the HD DVR from ComCrap. I think this is due to being on a co-ax feed so I'm going to try again on HDMI. I think the co-ax may be just to wimpy to accomodate the goodness. The panel is a 6ms repsonse panel so there should be no such thing as ghosting,but here we are.

DVDs look great. The PS2/Cube look nice.

Too bad I have to pack it up and take it back thanks to a dead pixel.

We've got 30 days to decide if we like it or not. I'm still on the fence.
  22. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Concerning "Heroes":

I'm not a big fan of Ali Larter but her with a high-powered sniper rifle has elevated her to a 7 out of 10 on the Hotness Meter. Still hooked on the show.

Also, did anyone watch David Letterman last night? That was the most uncomfortable show I've ever seen with Kramer apologizing about his meltdown this past weekend.
  23. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Heroes was really good this week, although

<<< SPOILERS AHEAD >>>

I was really hoping to see a throw-down between Syler and Power-absorbtion Boy, "clash of the titans" style.

Maybe in a future ep.

Studio 60 was also pretty darn good, a welcome change from the interesting-yet-not-really Nevada storyline of the last two weeks. Nice to see Dawn's getting work, as well.

That Late Show appearance was pretty intense. I think I understand what happened to him when he lost it, and what he was trying to do when he started screaming at the hecklers. That said, he really ****ed it up good by using racist remarks. Racism is second only to pedophilia these days as something that is nearly 100% off-limits. Even using the word "******" in a purely referential context such as this is a tricky situation. (eidt: see, the super-sensitive internet blocked it out all on its own.)

-Le Penguin
    "Ask for it by name!"
  24. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    No kidding man! I saw the Letterman clip on Youtube. Talk about uncomfortable!
  25. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sunday's "Simpsons" episode had one of the best lines ever. To those who didn't see it, Homer was an ice cream man and brought home popsicle sticks for Marge to use for art...

"I never thought I would have this much fun giving my wife wood".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.