main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mustafar catwalk (Work in Progress)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Kchr1ss, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Very awesome.

2. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Yeah it needs damn lot faces :/. By layers u mean modeling part by part or actually using layers for rendering during work progress to hide rest?

Photoshop is bretty essential tool in this case. Its hard to get the thing look right using only 3ds max.
    Here is another lava river try. I did some post work in photoshop :cool:.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/lava_river_3.jpg]

You'll probably notice the rock difference, i'll fix that nexttime.

3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Wow your stuff is absolutely amazing!!! =D=

4. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Very, very nice.

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Hey PixelMagic... I was looking for your thread to show him. There are a couple people doing Mustafar and you guys could probably all share methods and techniques on making lava and animating something like this. I found it and noticed you might have picked your work back up in Jan. and haven't heard much about it since. What's the status? I miss updating our WIP page with your project.

6. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    We have actually discussed a bit. He even gave me his lava fountain scene file. I think theres only 3 people doing right now. Darthmaya did some great animations with reaflow. I want to get the shader look right before i do animations.

7. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm currently working a sci-fi short film, and haven't working on the Mustafar stuff since Jan. I may take it back up at some point.

8. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    I really really really wish you do [face_praying] :cool:.

Btw, Pixelmagic, what are you learning in college/university besides the required subjects? Are you taking 3d, 2d, film making? What exactly?. Or have you graduated already?

9. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, I'm only in community college right now. I will graduate in the fall, and I will be heading to the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia to study Visual Effects.

10. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    I've chosen to studio VFX too instead of filmmaking, it seems to be better choice for nearfuture :cool:.

Has anyone done here heat haze in 3d app? I should have the blur above the lava coming from the heat, like the blur when you see air combat airplanes from back, the engines.
    I will have to see how to do that, never tried [face_thinking]

11. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Particles I would say.

For the engine heat waves you can make a new particle emitter and then set the particles as Facing (planes that allways face the camera), then you just apply a completely transparent material to it. Turn on motion blur and then once it renders it'll blur the background like hear waves. But lava would could possibly be too complex for that method. Althoug it could probably work out on a good computer system.

12. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Got to test.

I was googling for the motion tracking tools, plugins. I found matchmover, but its almost 4000 $ :oops: and boujou or smth was 10 000$.

13. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Are you a student? (College or High School):

http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=48341

Realviz Matchmover for $1,398

14. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah I am. Thanks. Its still quite expensive though. I dont know yet how difficult it maybe be, if its worth, I wont have handheld shots but i definitly dont want to do boring tripod shots either, i have some bretty cool ideas for camera movement around the duelists.
    I have to try. I will use definitly marking dots and if have to, shapes of the enviroment but made of green. My friend suggested to use two big X-s on green screen.

15. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    Try Icarus. I here it's good, but I never used it. Putting x's can get annoying when u try to key them out, or tideous if u mask them out.

16. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    For free, try over in the fanfilms forum and ask for a program called ICARUS. Or, you can get this program, which is pretty cheap...

http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/contentfull.aspx?content=pfhoe.htm

17. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Umm...isn't that what just I said? If u didn't know, but if u click on the word icarus in my last post it gives u the free old version. Better than paying.

18. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, opps. I didn't read the previous post.

19. jfx

May 16, 2006
    It's ok;)

20. THE-A

THE-A Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    very good 3d 10/10

21. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Not to bother anyone, but are u going to start working on the project again. It's been awhile since the last update.

22. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    yes i am :). I was sick for a week, but i got now back okei. Now i wait till i get new hardware. I'm ordering AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, Geforce 7600GT and 2x1gb ram DDR400, hopefully i get it together quickly.

Has anyone seen the book The complete locations of Star Wars?
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0756614198.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]
    There is a good 2 page cross of the mustafar facilities, u see part of it on the cover. It doesnt tell the very details but it still bretty helpful.

Before i got sick i started doing lava dam, i added the door now.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Lava_dam.jpg]

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/Lava_dam_door_2.jpg]

23. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, that's awesome. I was going to put a lava damn in my Mustafar duel project. Yours looks cool.

24. stevend

stevend Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    very nice......How long have you been modeling?

25. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    That's some nice modeling.

You know, your new computer stuff is almost exactly what I'm going for. I'm hoping to get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2 GB Dual-Channel RAM, Same motherboard as you (it's great!) and two XFX GeForce 6600 256MB SLI graphics cards--I will probably have the rest of the money in a week or two, and it could possibly be even better if I get finally am able to buy a car which will leave me with like $2,000 left over for whatever.

Anyway, good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.