main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mustafar - Planet or Moon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthMaul431, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Don't Sidious and Grevious call Mustafar a planet? I distinctly remember Grevious pointing out to the Sepratists that becaust Mustafar is a "volcanic planet" they would be safe there. If it were a moon, wouldn't they say it was?

We could have had Sidious say "Sanctuary Moon" again.

But yeah. It sure as heckfire looks like a moon. Who knows? Maybe Sidious and Grevious are just flat out wrong. I say it's a moon.

2. The_Shadow_SITH

The_Shadow_SITH Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    I think it's a planet. Grievous tells the Separatists to move to the MUSTAFAR SYSTEM.

3. Leonidas

Leonidas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2003
    Maybe they are refering to the Gas Giant as Mustafar?

Yavin IV is supposed to be a moon of a Gas Giant (though i think this may be EU, i recall a scene in the SE of ANH that might have shown the Gas Giant (if i'm not spacing, i don't own the film i'm ashamed to say) if that's the case, then YIV would be the fourth moon of Yavin.

Same principle.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I thought it was supposed to be a moon.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It is more than possible for Earth-sized worlds and larger to orbit another world.

Even if it is Earth-sized it doesn't matter, it's a moon.

A world that orbits another world is a moon. You could possibly have a double planet, but they would have to be the same size and have a common center of gravity that they follow as they orbit a star.

If one planet is larger than the other they can appear to orbit a center of gravity that is outside the surface of the larger world, but the smaller world is in effect still the moon of such a set up.

Yes, enjoy the story and don't worry about it. But for those who like to discuss such things it's all quite simple. If the OS says it's a double planet, then are flat out wrong.

6. ThatsMyKit

ThatsMyKit Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    Speaking about Mustafar... am I the only person who thinks that it seems to be the planet where they're building the Death Star? If you take a look at the architecture, you see many pieces of scaffolding sticking out that are in a slightly curved shape. Like if you were to put the pieces together, it would create a spherical shape. Add to this the fact that Mustafar is a stronghold of the Separatists, and in Attack of the Clones it's revealed that the Separatists are the ones designing the "ultimate weapon".

My pet theory is that the pieces of the Death Star are forged on Mustafar, then transported in space to the location we see at the end of the movie.

Oh, and no EU explanations, please.

7. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    ^
    I agree completely.

It doesn't matter what the OS says or even Lucas says. A body which orbits around another body, which is not a star, is a moon.

In Episode III, you can clearly see that Mustafar is orbiting around another planet, be it a gas giant, rocky planet or whatever. It certainly wasn't a star.

Thus, it has to be a moon.

8. Leonidas

Oct 17, 2003
    Speaking about Mustafar... am I the only person who thinks that it seems to be the planet where they're building the Death Star? If you take a look at the architecture, you see many pieces of scaffolding sticking out that are in a slightly curved shape. Like if you were to put the pieces together, it would create a spherical shape. Add to this the fact that Mustafar is a stronghold of the Separatists, and in Attack of the Clones it's revealed that the Separatists are the ones designing the "ultimate weapon".

I got that, too. If it's true, it's another paralell. Considering Obi-Wan fights and "Kills" Anakin sort of on the incomplete Death Star (Or at it's foundry, anyway), and then come twenty or so years later and DV "kills" Ben on the compleated station...

9. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    It's definately a planet as explained elsewhere. To clear up some confussion: A moon exists after a planet was formed. Our Earth's moon was fromed when a meteor about the size of Mars hit the Earth causing debris to surround the planet. This debris formed a moon from the force of the Earth's spin. The other possibility would be a small comet/meteror could enter the planets gravity field and get caugh up in its orbit. In the case of Mustafar, the larger planet's gravity is so much that it pull and push on Mustafar creates the vulcan landscape. The BBC did a special titled THE PLANETS a couple years ago that I recommend to anyone interested in planets and their formation!

10. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Looked like a moon to me.

11. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    It will be hard to prove but: If Mustafar orbits this larger Planet it is a moon, if both Mustafar and this planet have seperate orbits around the same sun they are both planets regardless of size etc....

12. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Hi guys, does anyone know the name of the big planet Mustafar is orbiting. Does it work like Yavin 4 and Yavin 8? Can't seem to find this info anywhere. Please help.

"I AM the Senate!"

13. -Master_Yoda-

Feb 6, 2005
    It will be hard to prove but: If Mustafar orbits this larger Planet it is a moon, if both Mustafar and this planet have seperate orbits around the same sun they are both planets regardless of size etc....

I agree, but it looked like it was orbiting that gas giant to me.

14. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    It could appear to be orbiting and in actuality still following its own orbit. I'll have to pay attention on my next screening to see if it can be determined. I am very interested in Astronomy and Astrophysics and this is an interesting thread to take part in.

15. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    The area where the Seperatist were hiding was the Moon, but Grevious referred Mustafar as a system and asked them to hide at that Moon area of the system. Real name? I dunno.

16. -Master_Yoda-

Feb 6, 2005
    I take your point DARTHJOSEPH, but it looked a little to close for me. ;)

17. Violetsaber

Violetsaber Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    1. That's no moon...it's a space station.
    2. Is it really that important?
    3. This thread is NWMT.

Violetsaber

18. Leonidas

Oct 17, 2003
    It could appear to be orbiting and in actuality still following its own orbit.

That close in and it would be swept up in the Gas Giant's gravity anyway, that or torn apart.

19. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    What did you mean Master_Yoda? Too close to be a planet? Proximity isn't a deciding factor, only the orbit the moon/planet takes. The closeness explains why Mustafar is volcanic, but does not eliminate the possibility of it being a planet.

20. Leonidas

Oct 17, 2003
    The closeness explains why Mustafar is volcanic, but does not eliminate the possibility of it being a planet.

Actually, it kinda does. There are several instances in ouw own solar system where an object strayed too close to a Gas Giant and wound up TURNED INTO a moon (This is conjecture, though), or where the same thing happened and it wound up torn to pieces... (The converse is also true, it is suspected in some circles that Pluto was once a moon of Neptune that got knocked into it's own orbit by a passing star).

Anything that close to a Gas Giant would be seriously affected by it's gravity.

21. -Master_Yoda-

Feb 6, 2005
    Proximity isn't a deciding factor, only the orbit the moon/planet takes.

But it is A factor - and the only one we have. ;) Given the shots of our solar system, I can only compare to that, and it would appear to be a volcanic moon like Io. (Is that Jupiter's volcanic moon?)

22. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    I can't think of the example I want to use exactly and I'll try to find a link to the article but recently scientists have found a planet the size of Jupiter in extreme proximity of a planet the size of Earth in a neighboring galaxy. I'll hunt this down because there is NASA proof of this possibility. And at one time scientists had no idea why IO, one of Jupiters moons, was not over taken by Jupiters gravity. But it holds its own and it is really close and extremely small compared to Jupiter.

23. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Seeing how many systems are named after the primary planet in that system (e.g Coruscant system, Corellia system, Dagobah system, etc), and they referenced to the Mustafar system in Ep III, then that makes it as if it was a planet.

And maybe Mustafar was a green paradise before it got swept into the orbit of this gas giant, which would create tidal forces so strong that it would literally rip the planet apart, and it only looks like a moon because of the size comparison to the gas giant.

Earth would also look like a moon if it orbited Jupiter, and our planet would react much differently to it also, as in the case of Io, the volcanic moon of the Jovian planet.

I would like to know what the name of that giant is though. Maybe it has the same name as the volcanic body, thus giving the system name. Or it could be named Mustafar, and the volcanic body is the Volcanic Moon of Mustafar; after all Lucas loves mirroring.

I must stop before I confuse myself any longer.

24. -Master_Yoda-

Feb 6, 2005
    Earth would be a moon, and not a planet, if it orbited Jupiter :p

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Any world as close as Mustufar was to the larger planet will be captured by it. It will not hold its own orbit even if both worlds were as close to a star as Mercury is in our own solar system.

NASA has no proof of an Earth-sized world. None have been detected yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.