MVP, Cy Young, ROY, Manager of the Year...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    What? I don't see how you can say nobody won it when you look at the stats. It doesn't matter that Lincecum wasn't pitching for a contending team; in fact, it heightens his achievement. And if you do look at stats, Lincecum was at or nearly at the top of the major categories: ERA, SO, Winning Percentage, IP. I'm thankful that the voters didn't succumb to the Wins category, and therefore Webb, because wins are extremely overrated.
  2. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Only reason Lincecum won was because Webb lost the award in those three starts. Lincecum could have had the same numbers and lost to Webb if Webb didn't blow.
  3. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    This is all speculation. The fact is that Lincecum won the Cy Young Award. It doesn't really matter how.

But, if you didn't notice, he won handily. I still think Lincecum would win even if Webb didn't lose those starts. The stats don't often lie.
  4. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  5. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    lol
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    lmao
  7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    rofl
  8. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    spam lol

That's enough, actually.

If you have substantial posts to make, make them. If you just want to spam the thread, or attempt to egg each other on, then stop.
  9. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, here's my substantial post: 137 to 73. That was the lead Lincecum had in voting points over Webb. That is a substantial margin of victory. Webb did not lose the Cy Young Award. Tim Lincecum won it. There's no crying over those 3 starts that Webb screwed up on.
  10. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    No one's crying. And no one won the award either.

Lincecum was more of the "Wow, Webb really blew that, guess we'll have to give it to this guy" kind of winner. He had a good season, he just wouldn't have won the award if Webb hadn't blown it.
  11. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    That's what separates the winner from the could've would've should've, isn't it? Lincecum did not falter down the stretch despite his team's losing ways.
  12. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Since Sabathia should have won, you're both wrong.
  13. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah, you're right, Lincecum played just well enough to pick up Webb's scraps.
  14. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Cliff Lee wins the AL Cy Young. No surprise there.
  15. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    About as much surprise as Madden winning the AL Manager of the Year.

Yeah, predictable. And correct.
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    and maddeningly frustrating to start the year with last year's Cy Young Winner, and this year's Cy Young winner, and finish 81-81.
  17. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    True.

How about having a Cy Young winner that got demoted to the minors last year? Anybody that predicted Lee winning this years Cy Young back in August of 07.. doesn't exist.
  18. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    To be honest, I was one of the Indians fans hoping they'd trade him in the off-season in the rumored Lee for Jason Bay trade.

Glad they didn't obviously.
  19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm curious as to how Lee will do next year. Is it possible to repeat that kind of dominance?
  20. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm expecting him to be nowhere near what he was last year, but nowhere near as bad as he was the previous year. Somewhere around 17 wins, and a high-3, low-4 era.
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think, for that kind of ERA, and a team with Cleveland's offense this past year, 17 wins would be a bit high.

But then, I think Cleveland's offense will be better next year, and make those numbers a real possibility. And that's probably about what I'd guess he'd do next year, as well. Probably will go higher in fantasy drafts than what he actually does will make him worth.
  22. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, 2005 he was 18-5 with a 3.79 and 2006 he was 14-11 with a 4.40
  23. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He succeeded because he just didn't walk anybody. I mean, he gave up only 34 walks in over 220 innings of work and lead the league in BB/9. It's hard to have control that good over an entire season (he had only one start with more than three walks, and only three with more than two - he won two of those three games), so he has a pretty good chance of maintaining a good walk rate, and subsequently keeping his ERA pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirted with a 2.90 ERA and pushed 18 or 19 wins.
  24. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://mentalbaseball.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/pujols.jpg]

PUJOLS!
  25. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    It's insane to think how many MVP's Pujols would have right now if Bonds didn't have those monster years...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.