main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Annual (St Patrick's) Question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Asabrush, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Why oh why does this place go green for an Irish national day? Is it purely because it is celebrated in the US (even though most of the so called "Irish-Americans" have never been to or could never place three cities in Eire)?

Are other "national" celebrations catered for here other than the US-centric festivities?

All Hallow's Eve, Christmas and Easter are international events and are righty noted on this international forum but I take issue with an exclusively Irish/US celebration being painted across the main boards.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Because people like to get sloshed out of their brains.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's because the Head Admin is on the Guinness payroll.
    And we all drink it.
    And who doesn't love a good party with the nice, foamy head on your beer? (apologies to those in the program)

Honestly, it's the same reason as celebrating Talk Like A Pirate Day (over Malcolm's objections every year) -- sometimes it's just fun to be funny!

4. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    As a stout drinker and an English Briton I don't require a reason to get ratted but I do get a little chessed off with this whole St. Paddy's thing especially when its led by people who aren't Irish.

I don't see a special banner for St. Andrew! Or St. George! Or St. Bloody Glen of the Red Lion!!!

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll do a Spamalot Day*, would that make you happy?!?!?!?!

* - No guarantee implied. Warantee void in TN.

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I've never heard of special holidays for those guys :confused:

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think we don't e-celebrate Easter and we don't e-celebrate Christmas either. We celebrate an 'unnamed vague mixture of "Winter Holidays"'

in light of that, St. Patrick's Day makes even less sense. But I guess so does Halloween, but that one is actually fun, so we can let both stay. Because no holiday would be really fun without some good people to complain about it. It's why I love the JC.

(can we make the week of 12th to 18th of March 2006 into the JC's First Annual Religious Underwear Holidays? :p)

(is ^that baiting or something? I don't know. I'll let the admins figure that out. That way they get something real to do these days.)

8. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    My point is that it seems the place has gone green only because two nations celebrate a certain day (one with good reason, the other because of some romantic notion of a bygone age).

For example what about Commonwealth Day? The Commonwealth consists of 53 nations and includes 1.8 BILLION people! I know its not a national holiday but it is a recognised day - we see no commonwealth theme here even though it is far more internationalistic than the Green fella!

EDIT: I have fun on many days but it seems there is a US-centric bias here. I understand why, but we should do our upmost to try to move away from it.

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    But do people have an excuse to get wasted on Commonwealth day?

10. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    If there's a US-centric bias, isn't that because most of the JC's users are from the United States?

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, two offensive statements aimed right at my chest... TN and admin. *storms off* [face_talk_hand]

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I hate the fact that this Patron Saint is celebrated, while the others are ignored.

I also complain every year, yet here we are.

13. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I'd also that people can't post drunk, and yet alcohol is featured in the banner, and many people's excuse for this silly holiday celebration is to get wasted.

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    St. Valentine (Valentine's Day) and St. Michael (Christmas was originally Michaelmas).

o_O

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    What's a TN?

16. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Tennessee

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    sorry. I was specifically referring to David, Andrew and George.

18. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Yes. But is there need to highlight it is such a manner that only one Saint is celebrated here? Purely because it is a tradition of two countries?

Arguing this place should be green for a day on the sole basis that its an excuse to get drunk and its "fun" is ridiculous! Its an excuse for those who celebrate it just like its an excuse for me to toast St. George on 23rd April. Do I go round demanding everything is covered in the St. George's cross and the symbol on the gold sovereign? Of course I bloody don't.

The only reason this places goes green, imo, is that the US makes a big deal out of it based on romantic notions of "roots".

Lets just keep things Star Wars.

Edit: Name me another day that is celebrated on these boards that is only celebrated, on the whole, in only two nations.

19. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    You're right. I propose we ban all holidays because inevitably someone, somewhere around the world would be offended that they are being left out. o_O

20. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Here we go. Avoid the serious point by mocking. [face_plain]

Maybe I'll take it to the Senate for grown up discussion....

21. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Why isn't July 4 celebrated, or Thanksgiving? Because they're just one nation? But two nations is okay? Sound silly to me.

The rule, I'd say, is if a holiday is associated with a specific nation, it isn't done here. St Patrick's day is the only exception. So, why?

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    You know I always hate when people come in here and complain because the forum admins try to have some fun and give back to the users with holidays like St Patty's Day. People like the one's complaining should go and find something meaningful to complain about. Days like this are about bringing the community closer not as an excuse to complain in comms

23. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    so that's your solution ? if people have an issue about the way things are run around here they should just shut up and enjoy what we do have ?

24. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Rox,

Two points:

1) I don't "look for excuses" to complain. I am complaining because I believe the attempt to bring people together in this way doesn't work. I am mildly offended that this US/Irish celebration is seen as a unifier. So, I will continue to raise my issue here in Comms.

2) Its St. Paddy not St. Patty.

25. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I think it's weird that this site promotes drinking, when a lot of people who use it are just 17, 18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.