main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Annual (St Patrick's) Question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Asabrush, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    More than just provocative, I'd say outright flaming lol. He'll be calling us whinging pommies next :p Trust an Aussie to hold such an opinion of the Brits :rolleyes:
    Btw, I like Aussies before you moan, we have a JC Aussie coming over to meet the various FF-UK groups.

What's an important issue for one person, is not for others, learn to respect that Senator_Elegos_A-Kla and it'll make you a better person ;) This is important to us - even more so now (and I know some Americans can relate, I have talked about it enough with them when I met the NYC FF on many ocassions), in the UK currently we are not allowed to display pride in our country via displays of the flag - people were warned last World Cup that they could face a fine if they displayed the St George's Flag on their cars or houses. Supposedly we aren't allowed to upset the incoming non-Brits with a display of national pride during a huge sporting event. I hope that explains a little more why Brits on here are eager for some recognition our way.

Grimby,
    I am rarely insulted tbh, I was giving you a friendly warning that the people you were posting to aren't thick, and what you posted actually did insinuate that while they have been here for as long as yourself, they don't know about the forums lol. Check their dates of registration, that is why I was trying to explain to you. I was for last two years a member of the NYC FF btw, I don't have ANY biased against America, I loved the place and people when I have been there, and loved SW Celebration III (can't wait for IV).

"History" is my middle name :p See, it always seems Brits know more about US than the other way round, so now we have a dialogue open, you can learn a little more :D I am always happy to learn more about the US, doing a bit of home research on the Anasazi at the mo ;)

If this site was run by Brits, we'd allow for a more European friendly attitude as the other UK posters said above. It isn't, and I am more than happy to post here under American ownership, if not I wouldn't be here. But I came here in this thread as this has highlighted a very important issue - there are plenty of other European and other countries that founded and formed America, not just the Irish. Don't you think it's an injustice to not acknowledge that - as you do with the St Patrick Day celebration? I am not asking for the end of Irish loving, more remember the other people who are part of your heritage too ;)

I am soooooooooooo glad you brought this up :D The second part is easy - I will happily celebrate and post towards the host nation's chapters when they have holidays, to do otherwise is just mean. Roll on 4th July and all it means [face_flag] ;) :)
    Now for Star Wars ... I am so glad you mentioned it. Really :D Because you do realise just how much the UK and the rest of the world aside from the US had in making that film series - count the number of Brits in ANH, including the real famous ones like Obi-Wan and Tarkin, the man in Darth Vader's suit, and so many, many more. And then there are the Brits making it behind the scenes. It was filmed in part over here, in British studios. It had an American director/creator of course, the genius George Lucas, who btw loved European mythology (Greek, Roman, and so many more) so much he used its core to be the foundation for the SW saga. SW is not just an American endeavour, you'll find a load of other countries involved, more recently in the prequels - Australia :D So, with all that in mind, long live America, long live the UK, and long live the friendship and comradeship that link us so closely together on such a wonderful film series :D

ApolloSmileGirl - great idea :cool: :D
    And there are plenty of current and upcoming banner artists out there who are more than wi

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I support a St Georges day banner.

The English deserve their holiday.

Remember some of the greatest actors were and are still English.

Alec Guiness. Peter Cushing. Admiral Ozzel.

the movies were made at Leaventree studios. Thats in London.

The London Symphony recorded all the music for all the movies.

The English crew made the movies.

Many of the words used in the movies are British in nature. Spanner anyone?

The English Deserve this day. The english have been apart of Star Wars since the beginning and the Americans should honor them for this. We honor the Irish for the heritage they gave us. Especially here in the Northeast. But as Star Wars goes, The English deserve the appreciation and commitment that we give to the Irish.

And the English make good cars too.

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I really don't have a problem with the St Patrick's Day celebrations (nice to see a different banner every so often, and I can trot out my green sock), but I do admit to wondering every so often why they happen.

As a Briton, it'd be fantastic to celebrate St George's Day, St Andrew's Day, St David's Day and the Queen's birthday. As an Australian citizen, it'd be great to have Australia Day and ANZAC Day. I have American relations; let's celebrate Independence Day and Thanksgiving. Certainly I think opening the field to a dozen extra holidays would be incredible fun. And who knows, it might even help us to learn a little bit more about what JCers from around the world celebrate.

As for the idea of celebrating in FanForce, I can't be the only one on the JC who isn't and has never been a member of an FF chapter. I have no experience of FF; I didn't even know it existed until some time after I'd joined the JC. I think confining local celebrations to the FanForce would be doing the JCers who aren't members a disservice.

An open call for holiday banners and stylesheets could potentially work. A rule could be made that a holiday only gets acknowledged if there's a banner/colour scheme etc. presented whole, well in advance, for approval - that'd probably keep them down to a manageable number.

Alternatively, we could keep the worldwide celebrations (the all-encompassing winter holiday, for example) and not the others. Or invent a few of our own. Talk Like A Pirate Day could be a start - what about JC-specific holidays? The anniversary of its creation?
    Or International Star Wars Day on May 4th?

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    What would we do on the aniversary of the JC.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Talk about how much better it was back in the day?

6. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Fair enough if you'd left it that but...

Congrats, =D= , on the biggest whinging on the thread.

Of course I forgive you, Stu! :p

7. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Personally, I would support the idea of adding a handful of holidays. To follow up on my half-formed thought from last night, we could celebrate Cinco de Mayo in May -- and I'm not just saying that because it's mi cumpleaños -- do a joint celebration of the Fourth and Canada Day in July, and do days for those in the UK and the antipodes. I'm not sure doing the days of Saints David, George, and Andrew would be the best way, though. Doing something November 5 would be great if it weren't less than a week after Halloween; the biggest objection to more days is the extra work for those who have to upload everything, and back-to-back holidays will only make that worse.

And, of course, our British members should be aware that if the call goes out to our icon makers to do British-themed ones, there'll probably wind up being a bunch from those British comedies that have aired in the US. Monty Python ones may not seem so bad, but would you be ready to see people celebrating your holiday as David Brent or Mrs. Slocombe?

8. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Mrs. Slocombe would be the only icon I;d ever switch my current one for.

9. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Remember, the most important day of the year is barely celebrated here.

The birth of the new messiah. God given human form.

Perfection carved from muscle and beauty.

I refer of course to November the 26th.

My Birthday.

I expect my "Spocks and Orcs" JCC Banner to be used. Novelty Icons. (George, etc etc)

You have 8 months. Begin landing your troops*

UKS

*Mandatory shoe horned in Star Wars quote.

10. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    You'd have to look at the recent survey of British icons. (As in, what did people think they were . . .)

But for a British holiday, I imagine we'd see icons of: the Queen, Prince Charles looking a bit stupid, someone in a kilt, the Union Jack, an English flag, a Scottish flag, a Welsh flag, an Irish flag, a cup of tea, Doctor Who, Blackadder, Basil Fawlty, a black taxi, a red London bus, the BBC, Shakespeare, Churchill, Harry Potter, James Bond, the Beatles . . . in other words I bet there're British icon-makers out there too.

11. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I think the JC should celebrate my birthday, if they knew what was good for them.

12. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Why thanking you, I aim to please ;) :p

Now where did i put my hypocrisy pills?

Ambles off looking

As long as we can get a Lifeday banner - twill be all fine [face_dancing]

EDIT: Did I forget to mention, that I'm only a 1st Gen Aussie, with family over in England? ;)

13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    what TBF said.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It IS an American Holiday. We always celebrated it in school when I was a kid. It is celebrated nationwide by Irish-Americans and non-Irish-Americans. The schools, banks and other things may not close, but it IS a holiday in the U.S. It's on every single American Calendar I've ever seen, printed or digital. It's a U.S. Holiday.

I like the idea of re-evaluating the holidays we "celebrate." I think Pirate's Day is completely ****ing ridiculous and have NO idea how it ever got to be something we celebrate JC wide. I thought it was a YJCC thing only. I do see the point on St Patricks Day because it is pretty much Ireland, the US and someone here said Australia and New Zealand, who celebrate it. We could easily lose it and I would be happy. Personally I think banners for things like Armistice/Veterans/Remembrance Day, Karnival/Mardi Gras could be fun and certainly a lot more international. We could easily drop Pirate Day and St Patrick's Day and add a few others.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with Strilo re Pirates day.

Please get rid of it as it's pointless, annoying and I limit my time on the board when everyones going Arrrgh. [face_plain]

I think the person who thought up the idea of pirates day should be named and shamed and the members of the mod squad who agree to put it into practice should be locked in some e-stocks and have rotten e-vegetables thrown at them in punishment.

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Hung from the highest Yard arm? Made to walk the plank? Have their timbers shivered?

17. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Mardi Grasis another holiday that not everyone "celebrates" or even approves of as it is a day that has historically drawn much criticism for its violence and has been cancelled many times.

After reading much of this I can't help but wonder how much of this business of disapproval of St. Patrick's Day is national/religious prejudice.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Mardi Gras and Karnival and Fasching and Fastnacht and whaever else it might be called around the world IS celebrated by a LOT of countries and people.

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Oh, I'd have to have Mr. Humphries. [face_love]

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    And then I ask what the hell Mardi Gras is. Doesn't it mean "Fat Tuesday"?

What's the point behind it? Eating?

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Let not bring religious prejudice in where none has been shown. It's the first card shown whenever anyone questions a "religious" holiday just as racism is thown in whenever someone questions anything "ethnic" [face_plain]

Paddy's day is a pointless day to celebrate on this board. It means nothing to the board as a whole and therefore (Like Pirate day) contributes nothing to it.

Thank the Maker day would bring something to the board as we a celebrating the movie that brought us here.

Valentines day is a pointless but WORLDWIDE "celebration" so I can see the point in retaining that.

Christmas/Winterval is also celebrating in one way or another worldwide so that should also stay.

Paddy's day provides nothing so why keep it?

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Mardi Gras, Karnival, Fasching, Fastnacht and whatever else it's called all celebrate one thing: The last day of freedom before the fasting time of Lent. That is the origin of all these holidays and that is what "Fat Tuesday," as it is called in America, celebrates. My point is that this holiday, under many names, is celebrated in far more places around the world than something like St Patricks Day...

23. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    It provides nothing to you and a certain population of the boards.

And Strilo, Lent isn't a universally celebrated season either. ;)

Again, what TBF said. Mountain/molehill.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    When did I ever say it was? And none of the holidays we celebrate on the JC are Universal. I am not even sure there ARE any Universal holidays.

25. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I've yet to find a single holiday that provides anything to anybody. People may provide on the holiday, but the holiday itself is nothing more than a day where other people may provide.

Thus, no holidays provide anything to any population of the board, and therefore, by this logic, your argument is that all holidays should be outlawed.

Suits me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.