main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My attempted SW art (Updated- 10/22- A Forbidden Love WIP)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by PadawanDi, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanDi

PadawanDi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I am new at the whole posting art thing, but due to both my love of art and, of course, Star Wars I figured I would give it a shot.

The difficult thing (for me anyway), though, is that I don't have a scanner. Fortunately, I have a computer program to use- unfortunately, I am not quite used to using it. It also may take some time for me to actually finish artwork too- I'm at the end of my finals week at school right now. Nevertheless, I am going to try my best 8-}

The first picture I have drawn is Anakin from Episode III

Anakin (Computer)

It's not much- but I tried. (and it kind of came out really big... sorry 'bout that)

Oh, and I'm definately open to any comments/ advice anyone would like to give me.

2. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Hi and welcome, PadawanDi!

I gotta say I'm impressed, VERY cool portrait of Anakin! Nice, clean, and accurate! Is that a pencil? Cause it sure looks like you used ink/pens and watercolor! I know nothing about those so I can't really give you advice... You already know your stuff about drawing! ;)

Do post more if you have some!

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello PadawanDi and welcome to the forum! I agree with Daenna that this is a wonderful portrait of Anakin (from one of my all-time fav photos from ROTS, too! :p )--and if it was all done digitally, all the more in commendations! It really does look like pens and watercolor--which program did you use for this? Did you have a tablet to work with? And if not, I bow to your skills with a mouse!! I love the spare look to this--just the face, framed by the dark hair, and the skeletal light on his features illuminating that ferocious look he's leveling at Obi Wan... *shudders* Excellent likeness, too! I can't wait to see your next post, and once again, welcome!

FF

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wonderful portrait. I agree with FalconFan, if you did that with a mouse you are amazing. Even if it was with a wacom tablet you are exceptionally gifted. Wonderful job!

AG88

5. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    Thanks for commenting everyone! :)

Daenna- Thanks, I'm glad you like it! And it started off with pencil, but I used a lot of a tinting tool and then just blended it together.

FF- I used Correl Painter Essentials 2. And thankfully, I did have a tablet to work with. I'm glad you liked it! It's one of my fav photos from ROTS as well :)!

AG88- Thanks a lot! If I had done it with a mouse I myself would be amazed :D!

I tried to draw some more today. And I added color this time.
    It's supposed to be Padme...

http://img429.imageshack.us/my.php?image=padmed8zb.jpg

I must say that it didn't turn out like I wanted it to.

6. Sometimes_normal

Sometimes_normal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2006
    Not bad, not bad:D Better then mine pictures:D
    I love that pic of Anakin, shame that he turned to the dark side and killed Padme. :S

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, very nice, PadawanDi! I have to agree that you have a nice handle with capturing likenesses. There are some proportional problems within the face, but overall, you can tell who they are. There's no mistaking the first one is Anakin and the second one is Padme. If you would like a tutorial on the proportions of the face to help you out in the future, just let me know. :)

And you say both of these are done digitally? Very cool, indeed. It's very hard to tell that. It looks like you used traditional media to me and it's very hard to make digital art look like that. Kudos to you on that one! Keep up the great work! :D

8. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    S_n- Thanks! It is a shame that Anakin turned to the dark side...

HanSolo29- I'm glad you see the likeness! I myself think it looks a little like Anakin... The Padme, however, I'm not so sure. A tutorial would be nice in the future- it seems that I'm having a hard time adjusting to drawing on the computer. Thank you!

Well, my finals haven't seemed to stop me... I've drawn more again.
    This time it is of Darth Maul's face.
    (When started filling it in with color the eyes got smaller... And I guess I was too lazy to fix it :p )

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mauld8ae.jpg

If you haven't already noticed- I like drawing faces.

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Eeesh...finals... **shudders**

I like the Padme portrait, PadawanDi--and as to "missing" the likeness, I have found Natalie's face notoriously hard to get right (it hasn't happened for me yet...). There really isn't a question, tho, as to who this is--I actually think the eyes are just right! The Maul piece is very nice--excellent coloring here--a ghosting in or a suggestion of his robe hood might help with perspective a little, as it appears just a touch flat right now (you may be going back to add in some more highlights too, tho, so take that with a grain of salt...). And I fully appreciate the "like to draw faces" comment--virtually all of my own stuff is portraiture of some sort or other (though I stick almost exlusively to graphite on paper...). The greatest emotion and expression seems to be found in the eyes, and I just love to draw eyes--so I totally understand the "faces" thing! It actually offers a lot of variety in subject matter, too, so yes! Let's see more faces!

FF

10. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    I'm glad you liked the Padme portrait, FF- I've tried drawing her over and over again (just with regular paper and pencil), but I never seem to get it right! Thanks for the tip on Maul's robe hood! As for drawing faces- I also love drawing eyes! So there are definately more faces to come thats for sure! Actually, some new ones today...

Well, I got kind of tired of using the computer to draw... So I went back to just using my usual paper and pencil. After finishing up I really wanted to put the pictures on here, but I sat wondering how to do so without a scanner. I finally decided to take a digital camera, take a picture, and upload it.

This one is of Anakin- it's the same one I tried doing on the computer, but this is actually the original that I drew a while ago...

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anakinrs5xy.jpg

This next one is of Obi-Wan-

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=obiwanrs9xm.jpg

Enjoy! And, as always, critique is always welcome!

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful shading and highlights on both of these, PadawanDi! The "space" both "occupy" is very real--they definitely have a volume! With the Anakin piece, I think the nose is the only thing that looks a bit wrong--perhaps just a bit too long, and a bit off-center... The eyes are amazing, and great work on the skintones--very realistic! I myself have roughed out that same photo of Obi Wan, but have never gotten around to getting it done, lol! Yours is wonderful, and the likeness here is superb--again, excellent skintones, shading and highlights. This was always a fav photo of AOTC Obi Wan--he looks so...yummy! :p Great pencil work with both of these! If you haven't visited the thread of aurelia-acc here in our forum, I strongly suggest you do: she, too, has done a graphite drawing of that same Anakin photo, and a study of her work will benefit your own future graphite pieces, I'm sure (it's helped mine immensely!). Beautiful drawings, and I'm looking forward to seeing some more!

FF

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice additions you have here, PadawanDi! Once again, you have a nice handle for doing portraits and I only see good things in store for you in the future. The likenesses are there and even the shading really helps to make them pop. :)

Going back to your Padme portrait - I agree with FF that the thing that identifies your drawing as Padme is the eyes. You got them pretty much spot on. I've never attempted to draw Padme, but I take FF's word for it when she says that it's quite difficult. :p I have some handouts from my Figure Anatomy class which highlights the different structures of the face and I can scan them in for you if you're still interested. Let me know and keep up the awesome work! :D

13. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Very nice pencil work! I especially like Obi-Wan. He looks so sexy. :p Luke, young Obi-Wan and Han are my favorite SW characters.

Keep up the great work!

AG88

14. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    FF- Thanks for pointing out that the nose is wrong! I seem to have trouble with noses... And I'm definately going to check out aurelia-acc's work! I'm sure it would really help! Thanks for the comment! [face_smile] I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Han Solo29- Thank you! I think the eyes were my favorite to draw (as they always are :p)! I am still interested in those handouts! I think that they would help a lot! Thanks again!

AG88- Thanks! I think I like Obi-Wan the best out of the two. And I definately have to agree that he is sexy! :p I'm actually working on Han right now... I'm glad you like it!

Actually, I am leaving for a wedding tonight and won't be back until probably Sunday evening. I had really hoped to update before leaving :(! When I get back though I will be sure to have something up shortly. Have a nice rest of your week/ weekend!

15. Sometimes_normal

Sometimes_normal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2006
    Really cool! I like Obi Wan<333
    And that Anakin pic was ....*thumbs up*
    xD

16. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    Thanks a lot S_n!

I have been a little busy lately and haven't gotten around to drawing just yet. And I know that I mentioned earlier that I would be drawing Han for my next one... Well, another idea has formed in my head so I'm going to put off doing Han at the moment. However, what I'm planning to do may take a while, so I have to ask that you remain patient. Thanks!
    I know I have already thanked everyone already but still-- a big thank you to everyone who has ever given me any feedback! It was much appreciated!

17. obiskus

obiskus Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2005
    Wery nice pictures!
    I'm not much of a face-drawer myself, so theese get the full marks from here=D=
    Especially the pic of Obi-Wan is great:D

18. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Hey PadawanDi, very nice drawings! I like the one of Obi-Wan the best. Amazing likeness, and I love how you did the hair and the beard. Same thing with the Anakin-portrait. That hair is a nightmare to draw, but you've done it really well. Piece of trivia: I had this one playing in the background when I first looked at the Anakin-drawing: http://aotscalvinneedstherapy.ytmnd.com/ The music fitted quite well, haha.

19. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    Ahh! [face_blush] I apologize for not updating sooner! I tried to before the 30th, but my camera was not cooperating with me. Fortunately, I finally got it to work! I'm so sorry for the wait!

Here's the first one-

Princess Leia

^This one caused me a few problems... I don't know if any of you noticed (I wouldn't be suprised if you did) that I used white-out. I accidentally made a smudge that wouldn't come out with any eraser I used so I went to the white-out. I was also going to use this to put in the monthly challenge, but since my camera was not working I was unable to. And it seemed to have come out a little blurry when I uploaded it...

Here is the next one-

Obi and Ani

^I decided to do something a little different- this is the smallest picture of faces that I have ever drawn, lol. It came out a little dark on my computer...

Well, enjoy! Once again, sorry about the long wait!

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Very, very nice PadawanDi! I love the one of Leia (that's one of my favorite promo pics of her from ROTJ)--the shading is beautiful. And the paired drawing of Obi and Ani is also very nice--both those close-ups are from the final duel, right...? Great work with the shading there, as well--really nice contrasts and highlights. I'd like to offer a couple of methods I use regularly when trying to capture a likeness--they work pretty well: first, turn the drawing and the reference photo upside down or sideways and study them together--by changing the way you look at them, it's easier for your eye to see small things that might be out of place or shaded incorrectly (both things that can throw off a likeness)--second, hold both the drawing and the reference photo up to the mirror and study them together--again, the new perspective can allow the eye to pick out where changes might need to be made. These are invaluable techniques for me (and even with those, I don't always get it right! lol! But they do help!), and might be useful to you, as well. You mentioned that the Obi/Ani drawing was "small"--what size paper do you normally use for your work? Just wondering--I generally use 9x12, but it barely fits on the scanner... Very nice work!

FF

21. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I, too, think it's impressive. I really like the shading.

22. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    obiskus- Thanks! I've seen your work and I must say that is some pretty cool stuff you do! I don't think I could ever do that! And I'm glad you liked the Obi-Wan!

Fenrisulven- [face_laugh] When I took a look at my Anakin- portrait again and listened to that song along with it I could not stop laughing! It fits so well! I usually think that the hair isn't going to turn out that well- I'm glad you like it! The Obi-Wan is probably my favorite so I'm happy to hear that you liked it the best!

FalconFan- Thank you so much for the advice! I would've never thought of doing that! I did use 9x12 paper for Obi/Ani. What I meant by "small" was that the reference photo (the pictures on the DVD cover) was smaller than what I was used to. I'm used to doing close-ups, because they just seem easier for me to draw. Going back to the size of paper I normally use question- I've actually done a lot on 14x17 (like the Obi-Wan picture). Anyway, thanks a lot and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SilSolo- Thanks! I spend a lot of time on shading so I am happy to know that you liked it!

Well, I one other picture to share today. I used it for the Art Class thread, but it took me so long to do so I figured I would put it in here-

Padme- desert dress

I had a lot of fun with this one so I hope you enjoy it! I am open to any suggestions/advice on how to improve!!!

23. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Very nice. However, I think the head's a little too large.

24. PadawanDi

May 21, 2002
    SilSolo- Thank you for pointing that out! I will now go back and attempt to fix it.

It's been a while. I went on vacation in the beginning of August and then went on another trip a week after that. When I got back school started the next day. So I'm going to use that as my excuse! Pathetic, I know, lol.
    Anyway, I do have something started. So here it is,

A Forbidden Love WIP

Hopefully I'll finish soon. In the meantime, enjoy!

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooooo!! This is going to be sooo pretty!! I love the skintones you have going already (and all that curly hair on Padme is going to be a real chore, I can tell! ;) )--pretty-pretty-pretty! Can't wait to see this done (and in varying stages of "done-ness!")!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.