main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOARD My Class-A Cargo Containers!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by El Kabong, Feb 25, 2013.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    I was a little dubious about 3D printing at first - but now having seen the results first hand, I'm thrilled. We are totally on the cusp of the board game world paradigm getting flipped on it's ear.

Anyway, here's my (mostly) completed Cargo Containers that I got 3D printed from Shapeways. They're probably about the size of a Fun Size Milky Way bar - and they look great, even unpainted. I still need to add the clear finish, but that'll be in a couple of days once the Dip drys. The one on the left is before I dipped it into varnish, the one on the right is after the Dip.

[​IMG]

For my first ever go at painting a miniature (with a little assist from a friend who help with some of the dry brushing and cleaning up the detail work) - I'm pretty pleased how these guys turned out. I cant wait to try some more!

WokHorsti likes this.
  2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    3D printing is pretty epic. I have a 3D printed 2013 Ford Fiesta which is pretty cool. While I think it's great, I don't think I'll be rushing into 3D printed gaming models just yet. It tends to be quite expensive. I'm glad to see you're enjoying the results though.

3. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    Yeah, it's still a bit expensive - four of these guys (not counting paint and materials) was just a touch north of 50 bucks. But like any revolution, the early adopters pay for the privilege. Give it four or five years and the prices will drop through the floor plus the results will get much better! but yeah, after paint and the wood stain and the brushes and the actual miniatures, I dropped just about a hundred bucks on these guys (and I still don't have the stands yet!)

4. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Those look great El Kabong! =D=

Keep us posted when you get around to your next 3D project.

5. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    The next will probably be turbolasers - but those should be ridiculously easy. Hit them with some gray paint and boom, done. five minuets, including the drying time.