main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC my continuing journey towards serial killing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well...

Also, since these tend to be really big, publicized things in the news, I suspect they're more likely to make it into family oral history traditions.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    lol...oral...

Ramza likes this.
  3. Nick of Time

Nick of Time Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2013
    I go to school at FSU, which is where Ted Bundy killed 2 girls in the Chi Omega sorority house. One of my family's friends knew both of the girls who died. That's my closest connection.

4. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I knew someone who went on a date to a football game with Joel Rifkin. It wasn't that Joel Rifkin, though. That's my closest connection.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  5. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    Which Joel Rifkin was it?

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Elaine?

7. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    It's also suspected that he killed his brother, but there's no proof. I've always found Gein fascinating. I mean, he was the inspiration for Norman Bates in Psycho, Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

On another board I visited, this one guy worked with the victim of Armin Meiwes. In fact, he posted a thread about it right before the news hit world wide.

But my "favorite" serial killer? (If there's such a thing!) Jack the Ripper. The ultimate unsolved mystery.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Pfft, it was pretty obviously George Chapman just via basic Occam, but that's so mundane no one wants to acknowledge it. So self-proclaimed Ripperologists cling desperately to the fact that it's "unusual" - not unprecedented, just unusual - for a serial murderer to change methods, and since Chapman poisoned some women, clearly the fact that literally everything else points to him is just an elaborate coincidence.

Diggy likes this.
  9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Okay wow.. I thought I knew how many there were, approximately at least. But I had to multiply it with 5

10. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    Lately, my favorite has been Charles Starkweather. I really like the dynamic with Caril Fugate.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I know one of his defense attorneys.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I worked down the block from where Jeffrey Dahmer lived.

Co-workers and I use to go for walks after lunch... surreal to go that way after he was discovered.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

here's where your otherwise fabulous post loses its way.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was channel surfing a few months ago and stumbled onto this right in the middle of the scene where the woman with the baby gets picked up by the killer. Still freaks the bejeezus out of me.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    John Cusack finally, finally got to play a serial killer, in The Frozen Ground. I don't know if it has a release date, but it was supposed to come out this year. Robert Hansen was very successful at his hobby.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has to be better than the other serial killer movie he was in, The Raven. He was horribly miscast as Poe.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The 'interesting person' in my life was picked up by Gary Ridgeway (the Green River Killer) while walking home from near the airport - from the back, he looked like a tall blond with long hair. It was only after he stopped and offered my friend a ride that Ridgeway realized that the 'girl' was actually a guy...

18. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    My uncle lived down the street from one of Ridgeway's brothers. The brother had a yard sale one day (years before Gary was arrested) and other family members contributed stuff to sell. My uncle bought a pair of rubber garden gloves that he swears belonged to Gary.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    One time at our old house, we had a major leak at a big ceiling-to-floor window in our kitchen during a really heavy rain. To try to contain the water and keep it off the floor, we rushed to a 24-hour Home Depot at 2AM and bought one of those big blue plastic tarp sheets. We thought about buying some rope and a shovel too, just to mess with the cashier selling us a tarp at 2 in the morning.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    All right, I'll bite. Why are you so sure it's Chapman?

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the frozen ground was initially released in december apparently. its produced by 50 cent, so you know its good

22. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I just wasted 1 hour reading some of those entries. May not get much else done today :p

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Geographic proximity to the White Chapel murders, which stopped after he left the area. Geographic proximity to an unsolved Ripper-esque murder in New Jersey when he was in that area. Documented attempted knife murder of his spouse after that incident occurred. Already known to be a serial murderer, albeit his tactic evolved into poisoning (Per some FBI analysts, not that unlikely). Documented misogyny, violent tendencies, medical knowledge, and abuse of lovers, all four of which are consistent with most profiles. Was a poor immigrant which is also consistent with most profiles. Was seriously proposed as a suspect by people on the investigation.

The list sort of goes on. Really the only other suspect with as many marks against him is Tumblety, and Tumblety had 1. multiple convictions for violating anti-sodomy laws, which seems unlikely of a legitimate candidate since the Ripper crimes were most likely sexual in nature and 2. documented violent tendencies but no murder convictions nor, indeed, suspicions of murder outside of the White Chapel case.

Not as resolutely iron clad as my dismissal made it out to be, admittedly, but it's frustrating that it keeps getting treated as this sort of grand mystery when there are only like three or four candidates that aren't complete hogwash.

24. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    My friends and I do a white elephant gift exchange every New Years. One year, my buddy bought a shovel and Machete from OSH and wrapped it in a blue tarp as a "Do It Yourself Serial Killer Kit."

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wait a second this guy flew women out to the wilderness and then set them loose to hunt them "most dangerous game" style? no freakin way. that's awesomely evil

Amazing.