main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT My Darth Vader Theory

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I have a theory on Darth Vader on why there was still a little bit of good in him that Luke could sense. Basically I feel that when Vader was in that chamber that he went into where he could have his mask off and still survive was a place where Anakin lived because it was at a point where his mask was off and he wasn't Vader he was his former self. I feel during the times he was in there he regretted the things he has done but had no other choice but to do. And I feel he reflected on his biggest regret that he killed the love of his life Padme. And his love for Padme and his regret for her death was the part of him that held on to his good side. I hope I explained this well and is easy to understand. Thoughts on it?

JediWheelz and kainee like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No. TESB Vader was a monster. He risked Lukes life in multiple instances.

1) Hoth battle
    2) Lightsaber duel
    3) When he forced Luke to chose between life and servitude or death

The little bit of good in him was just that: a little bit.

I very much doubt that he is crying over his deeds in his chambers seeing as he went on for 20 years murdering and torturing anyone who got in the way of the Empire.

KOBBRA and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  3. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    trust me. A red lightsaber = true bliss. You don't need anything else...
    [​IMG]

well, Ok. Maybe a Padme and a red lightsaber would be nice. But I don't think you can have both, so...

But seriously. I'm sure he regrets what happened to Padme, and his body, and he could be more Anakin in there. But I don't think he regretted everything that happened, and having to go in that chamber to survive probably just pissed him off.

[​IMG]

4. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    He wanted Luke alive in TESB so that Luke would help him kill the Emperor. Nothing more.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    "He will join us or die."

Cue Vader offering Luke the choice between life and death over the chasm. Vader at that point was perfectly fine with letting Luke die if necessary.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It seemed to me that Vader wasn't expecting Luke to turn him down.

He also, once Luke's on the Falcon, hasn't given up- instead of ordering it shot down, he orders up a boarding party, and for them to "set your weapons to stun".

Then, of course, the Falcon escapes, thanks to Artoo.

7. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Though perhaps somewhere inside he regretted what he became, I doubt he dwelled on it. I always imagined the chamber being a place of intense hate really, a dark version of the 'intense meditation' Samurai would perform, where it was less about calming down and more about purging your thoughts of all but the mission/battle.

I wouldn't have been able to forgive vader, but that's what I like about Luke, he is an extremely forgiving person. To me, this makes him perfect for restarting the Jedi order.

anakinfansince1983 and kainee like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You underestimate Vaders intelligence. Luke refused him before under risk of death. Why would he be incapable of committing suicide?

If he can use a tractor beam instead, then why kill him?

9. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    If he was truely evil he would have let him die but he offered an alternative, an alternative in which Luke lives. That may have been enough to be viewed as good.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He mostly wanted Luke as a tool back then. A disposable tool (he says as much to the Emperor).

But I do think a tiny part of him wanted to have a family, a son.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well even though he was Vader and a monster, he still regretted causing Padme's death

kainee likes this.
  12. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    What he says to a domineering master and what he thinks to him self are probably quit different.

Anakin had a dislike for politics and wanted people to be made to agree...essentially a dictatorship - this may have been reflective of his "slave" upbringing. Luke was raised differently and as such has a different set of values to Anakin. This possibly throws Vader when he offers him essentially a darkside apprenticeship - complete with overthrowing Palpy, especially when he rejects it!!

kainee and VanishingReality like this.
  13. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    It was just a theory really but it was just my way to explain why he still had that bit of good inside of him that both Padme knew was inside of him and that Luke could sense he still had even after all this time.

JediWheelz likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Vader wishing his child to stand with him is the one thread that is almost lost in a wall sized canvas that Luke clings to in order to save a galaxy.

kainee likes this.
  15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  16. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    DantheJedi I think that art def. is one reason why I had my theory and it def. backs it up on what I said might be true.

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's really open-ended as to what exactly Vader ponders when in his private isolation. For many years, Vader has been a prisoner the suit he needs to survive, so this is the only place where he has some sort of freedom. Who knows what his mind drifts to...

kainee likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    His characterization in the OT works for me. In ANH, he seems as he should be. Emotionally dead. All he's had for the last two decades is the Empire. But... come the Battle of Yavin, he realizes this pilot has the Force... has been hanging around Obi-Wan... and this suddenly sparks his emotions back to life. And intensely. Works very well with his rampant "badass" anger we see in TESB. Then he has time to think between then and ROTJ, then we finally get to see Anakin's redemption.

Beautifully poetic.

JediWheelz, Dark Lady Mara and kainee like this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There's no reason to think he is lying as he does give his son the choice between death and life a few minutes later. And telling white lies to Palpatine is probably not a great idea either.

This I agree with. Vader probably thought he was offering the deal of the century.

@ DantheJedi

I hate this piece of sentimental kitsch. The only Vader/Padmé piece I can stand is Lost Command.

20. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013

trust you huh? Wow you'll have to let us all know where you got an actual working lightsaber, since that's the only way you'd know it was "true bliss" and "don't need anything else"

badass man...how much did it cost? And I'm curious to know how it's powered...the inventor of that powercell would be a billionaire at the very least. Well that or killed by power companies to keep the secret to that tiny thing that would put our most advanced reactors output look like sparklers a secret

VanishingReality likes this.
  21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Duh.

22. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I hope you trust me... I'm appointing you as my eyes and ears on the jedi council...]-} ONCE MORE the Sith will rule the Galaxy.

Dark Lady Mara and kainee like this.
  23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I think there was a part of him that couldn't get past, "What have I done?" He regretted what he'd done to Padme and the Jedi, and what he'd given up in his years of service to the Empire and Palpatine. And, whenever that part of him would surface, he'd push it away and tell himself, "I did what I had to do. I made the right choices. I'm the good guy." He couldn't allow himself to dwell on it and stay sane, let alone maintain his goal of putting the galaxy in order.

I agree that he was disappointed that Luke turned him down, since he was basically asking Luke to follow in his footsteps. He felt that he was in the right and he was still doing what was good for the galaxy. He couldn't understand why Luke couldn't see that and wouldn't believe it.

See the ROTJ novelization for some good characterization of Vader in this light.

Dark Lady Mara and kainee like this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think the regret had turned into something else by the time of the OT, or else buried very deep by layer upon layer of other emotions. The Vader of TESB is, at least consciously, essentially pure evil. He only wants Luke alive in order that he could help him overthrow the Emperor. Without his force capabilities he was of no use to Vader at that point and would likely have been destroyed without much thought.

Darth_Pevra and kainee like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought it was established back in 2009 that Vader went into his chamber because it was the only place that had a working DVR, so he could watch episodes of Breaking Bad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.