main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of Anthony Daniels...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by i_lobot, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_lobot

i_lobot Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2000
    You can see his gut hanging out of the C-3P0 costume in a couple scenes in AOTC. It is especially obvious when he sits up after being freed by R2-D2 during the arena battle.

So what? A guy can't have a gut?

Seriously, though, would it have killed the guy to do a few sit-ups before the start of shooting? Or did he think they could "green screen" out his gut?

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That isn't much of a defense...

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I think everyone that copies thread titles and makes the post as pointless as possible should be banned. Just my opinion of course. But it is beyond annoyance.

4. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    Wow. Is there no one here with a sense of humor? C'mon, Pooja! Lighten up!

5. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Agreed, Pooja!

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    i_lobot

Yeah, I suppose. I'm sorry.

7. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    Thanks, darthnuisance. I thought it was obvious from the title this thread was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek type thing.

But, to get back on topic, I found 3P0's gut to be distracting. I was curious if anyone else had noticed 3P0 could have used a trip to the Mos Eisley Fitness Center.

EDIT: Whoops... looks like darthnuisance decided he wasn't "just kidding" after all. Yikes!

8. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    Don't mention it, pooja. Perhaps I should have made it clearer this was satire of darthnuisance's GL thread... "My defense of Anthony Daniels' gut" or something like that.

9. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, 3P0 looked out of shape big time.

(sorry, I'm trying) :p

10. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    I am to assume then, pooja, that you did not notice the infamous "gut scene." I thought it was obvious, and bad. It appeared Anthony Daniels was wearing some kind of elastic body suit to allow him to sit up for that scene.

(You may also assume I am poking some fun at the myriad threads addressing the most trivial flaws in AOTC...)

11. Massiff_Attack

Massiff_Attack Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    "Would it have killed the guy to do a few sit-ups before the start of shooting?"

Anthony Daniels is alot older then he was 25 years ago. People change shape in later life and he cant be expected to stay totally slim just for a few weeks filming. Let him be the way he wants, he is not Threepio all the time ya know.

[face_plain] :)

Oh, and I realise this thread is not serious, but your being cruel for no reason.

12. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    That is a fine defense, Massiff. Far better than my own feeble efforts.

13. Massiff_Attack

Massiff_Attack Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
  14. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Is it me or did his voice really seem high in AOTC?

15. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    any pics?

16. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    jango_joe: Sorry, no pics, although perhaps someone else more technically adept than I can provide one for us.

TheDarkSkull: I agree. His voice was much higher than in the OT.

17. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    It seems to me that Daniels deliberately gives Threepio a shakier, more immature voice to parallel his state of semi-completion.

18. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    To get back on topic, in defense of Anthony Daniels, he delivers one of my favorite lines in AOTC upon entering the droid factory: "Well, shut me down! Machines making machines! How perverse."

EDIT: green, that is a very fine defense of Anthony Daniels! Well done!

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I'm NOT going to defend Daniels, but I will defend C-3PO.

Most of the Jar Jar/Ewok type criticism has been reserved for him, this time. And I just want to say, that I for one LOVE 3PO's jokes in AOTC.

I love the "Machines makng machines" line, and the "I'm quite beside myself" and "What a drag." This is GREAT comic oneliners. Reminds me of the sort of thing you would seen in a Carry On movie..... I have always thought 3PO had a bit of Kenneth Williams campness in him..... The only thing that was missing was 3PO runiing around the arena shouting "INFAMY."

I guess you Yanks won't know what I'm on about..... It's a British thing :D

I wonder if 3PO will emerge from his memory wipe with the voice that we know from the OT? That was a clever thing of Daniels to do; changing 3PO's voice slightly for the PT :)

20. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    C-3PO is, and always will be, my favorite film character of all time. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: if I could meet any member of the cast or crew of any of the Star Wars films, including Lucas, I would choose Daniels.

The guy seems to love and embrace his role, and he has always come across as a very friendly person to be around. You get the feeling that he would be a joy to talk to, with or without a "gut." ;)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    They should try and stick Rick Mcallum in the 3PO suit....

Then you would see what a guy with gut looks like, in a C-3PO suit :D

22. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    3po is a genius!

23. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    Or squeeze George into that 3P0 suit... now there's a scary thought.

I saw one of the later screenings of AOTC the day it was released. I had already read some criticism of 3P0's lines, but I thought they were fine. They seemed to me to be very much in the spirit of the OT. Think about his running joke about the odds of this or that terrible thing happening in ESB.

On the other hand, I was not at all happy about the CG 3P0 in the droid factory. The CG R2-D2 didn't bother me, and I loved the CG Yoda. But I never associated Kenny Baker with R2 or Frank Oz with Yoda in the same way I associate Anthony Daniels with 3P0. I think Daniels really made that character, in the same sense that others on a post running right now say that Ian made the Palpatine role.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I have always had issues with the Droid Factory sequence, and part of the reason, is CG, 3PO :)

25. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    I agree, g. Overall, the droid factory sequence was awesome. For example, the shot of Anakin getting his arm stuck in a metal robot body was really a breathtaking bit of foreshadowing.

But the sudden switch from real 3P0 to CG 3P0 was so jarring, I found it distracting. For a brief, terrible moment, it was like a deluxe version of the old Droids cartoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.