main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of Anthony Daniels...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by i_lobot, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_lobot

i_lobot Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2000
    Good one, Darth_Prozac!

Great story, Darthkarma. Thanks for sharing that. But, in defense of Anthony Daniels, I doubt Anthony Daniels asked the engineer to erase that tape.

Sithman, I could overlook the squeaky 3P0 voice in TPM, pretending it had something to do with 3P0's lack of completeness. But in AOTC, there's no excuse for it.

It reminds me of Vader's extra line in the special edition of ESB: "Alert my shuttle to prepare for my arrival" or something like that. Sounds like James Earl Jones, but not like Darth Vader.

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I now envy Darthkarma, not only because he has met Daniels, but because he has/had his own radio show as well! :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    in defense of Anthony Daniels,
    he has nothing to do with this signature!

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Eh, who cares, I was 3 feet from Antony Daniels AND I caught his eye. :D

Star Wars Celebration II...... MmmmMMMmmmmmm... :D

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I am fairly sure that Sithy is doing that for my benefit.

He is always rubbing it in that he got to go to Celebration II, and I didn't... :_|

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

5. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Caught his eye? eh?

sicko!

6. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    C-3PO is, and always will be, my favorite film character of all time. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: if I could meet any member of the cast or crew of any of the Star Wars films, including Lucas, I would choose Daniels.

The guy seems to love and embrace his role, and he has always come across as a very friendly person to be around. You get the feeling that he would be a joy to talk to, with or without a "gut."

I'm coming in a couple pages late but oh well. This post is pretty long since it features my own anecdote about meeting "C-3PO".

First of all, C-3PO was one of my favorite characters as a kid and I have to be honest, it bites my @$$ sometimes when people say that he's just another Jar Jar and possibly even more annoying. But to each his or her own.

I was fortunate to meet Anthony Daniels briefly in April of 1999 before the negative stuff about TPM. Y'know, that time when a lot of us got overexcited and overhyped? I did like TPM though but I digress.

Before his lecture and Q & A circuit, I waited patiently in line and got an autograph on a C-3PO action figure. Yes, I paid for it just like I paid for Warwick Davis's autograph who was also a guest. I actually took a couple of hundred bucks to spend because I live in a smaller Canadian city where it was held and I knew that this would be an extremely rare opportunity. I know that Daniels took some flak for a recent signing and the whole issue of paying for autographs was raised. I wasn't there nor do I know the specifics so I can't really say much about that.

I can talk about my own experience though. While he was signing, we chatted a bit. He asked me if I was going to see the new movie. I remember thinking how funny this was later. At the time though, I responded politely, something like, "Oh definitely!"
    He then mentioned something about being in London and listening to the music scoring and how the music is really incredible. I think I just nodded and might have said something like "John Williams is great." I then shook his hand and told him that it was nice to meet him with a huge smile on my face. I tried not to come off like a slobbering fanboy. I think I was fairly successful. :)

Later, he came on with his lecture and Q & A segment and to say that it was brilliant would be an understatement. He came out and was wearing an actual C-3PO hand that he wore in the movies and was talking about his experiences with Star Wars and I can only speak for myself, but I was absolutely engrossed. I felt like I was 6 years old again, watching the movies and having no idea about "special effects", playing with the old action figures constantly and bugging my parents to buy me more. If there's any moment that I can point to where I came to actually understand the magic of Star Wars, this would be a stong contender.

The Q & A was fantastic as well. I learned that one piece of C-3PO merchandise that Daniels thought was "interesting" was a scotch tape dispenser molded as C-3PO in a sitting position. The placement of the tape roll where the tape comes out, well, again, "interesting". What was great about that was, I actually have an older Tomart SW Collectible Book with tons of photos and it has a picture of the thing that he was talking about and I had a good laugh when I saw exactly what he was referring to. [face_laugh]

The enthusiasm that came out of this guy was almost like a tangible thing that you could pick out of the air. He was briskly walking through the audience trying to make sure that no question went unanswered. One fanboy asked if he could do a line from ANH. I thought this was a bit silly but without missing a beat, Daniels became "Threepio" for a split-second and delivered the line.

Did I ask a question? Of course! I asked him what it was like to play Threepio without wearing the suit or something like that. I think he talked about Threepio being created by Anakin and not having any coverings. I don't think the words were as important as the enthusiasm and embracing of the role that he displayed f

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Sounds awesome, dude. You shoulda been at the Celebration II. He was the emcee there and was amazing, just like you described him.

They did this hilarious intro thing for him everytime and... forget it, it'd take too long to explain. You'd have to REALLY coax it out of me. :p

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    To respond to the original post, I honestly didn't notice a "gut" at all in AOTC. Still, a protocol droid with a "gut" sounds pretty funny. [face_laugh]

9. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    Hey, that's a great story, Imperial_Guard! A long post, but worth the read.

I've never met Anthony Daniels, so I have no cool Anthony Daniels stories to tell. But, in defense of Anthony Daniels, I've never gone out of my way to meet him, either.

I think I remember seeing on some thread somewhere some talk about why Padme and Anakin took 3P0 along with them when they left Tatooine. They basically heisted him from Clieg, didn't they? "Hey, Clieg, here's Shmi. She died. Thanks for the food and blue milk and the droid. Later."

10. PLO_KOON_DUDE

PLO_KOON_DUDE Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2002
    I know this is pretty late, but when someone complained about the lava apparently being poured upon padme, and u hated it, the exact same thing happens in LOTR, when the wraiths are stabbing at the beds it appears like it is the hobbits beds.....

11. i_lobot

Sep 6, 2000
    PLO_KOON_DUDE that is an great observation. Well said. But, you know what? I loved that scene in FOTR. It really worked for me there. It still doesn't work for me in AOTC. Maybe I've just never seen the SW films in that same light. They've always been so straightforward, almost over the top. When they slipped that lava scene in there, I felt cheated.

I'll probably get blasted for saying so, but I actually thought it was too clever for a SW film!

12. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    i_lobot, your posts are cracking me up. Certainly Anthony Daniels should not ever be blamed for anything... C-3PO is probably the most underrated character of all of Star Wars! I just wish he was in more of the PT, and that his lines weren't so "un-C-3PO." I also miss that classic comraderie between him and R2. Overweight glob of grease, etc.

Daniels is a gold mine. How could it be Star Wars without him?

13. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    My defense of Anthony Daniels...

great comic relief. :D

14. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    In defence of Anthony Daniels, who else could do the role? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.