main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    "Fact - 1. something known to exist or to have happened. 2. a truth known by actual experience or observation. 3. actuality or truth.

*What's interesting about these three different definitions of the word 'fact' is that none of them talk about having to 'prove' a fact. Hmmm...something to keep in mind for later."

Huh? That definition uses these words; known, exist, truth, and actual.

FACTS MUST BE PROVEN!

Normally, I wouldn't care in a Star Wars discussion, but I don't want people to become "dumbed-down" reading the summary of those explanations. [face_mischief]

2. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    AL,

I wouldn't attempt to argue semantics with you if you paid me. I think it is clear you have a crapulent grasp of the english language. :D

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Oh and what obhavekenobi78 said is fact and true.

Oh MIB 2 was an ok moive. Fact. no just my opinion

4. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Fact: Fanboys are morons.

5. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    What about Fangirls?

6. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Kryatt_Dragon

Wow, thanks for all those neat-o definitions. I hope it didn't take you too long to copy those from the book.

But you managed to come off even more arrogant and condescending with that post than the previous one.

*sigh*

Here is a great example of a FACT about the difference between the OT and the PT:

In the OT, Obi-Wan Kenobi is played by Alec Guinness.

In the PT, Obi-Wan Kenobi is played by Ewan McGregor.

Let's start at the basics and then work our way up from there. That way no one gets lost along the way.

:D

7. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    At this point, I want someone to chime in with "take off your rose-colored glasses" and "the people who deserve to like the PT, do".

Incidentally, does anyone know the origin of "George Lucas raped my childhood"? I'd like to read that.

8. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Fangirls have spots.

9. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But Absctract that would be to easy and we can't have that it has to be hard.

Because they don't know fact form opinion.

10. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "At this point, I want someone to chime in with "take off your rose-colored glasses" and "the people who deserve to like the PT, do". "

Why, so you can chime in with your "humorous" satire of George Lucas? Yoink! :eek:

11. AL

Aug 22, 1998

[image=http://www.jerk.net/nerds.gif]

12. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    [image=http://www.spertus.com/ellen/ellen-geek-small.jpg]

Notice the R2 statue!

13. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Now that's a looker.

14. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    What, no exclamation point? Come on, she's way hot! <---see! <---Ooh, there it is again! <--I can't stop!

15. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    First off I will admit. I started to have problems with the SW fanchise with Return of the Jedi, but I don't bash Lucas, and I don't trash the films, but in my opinion the last three films have had problems.

Think of this as a critique, which is perfectly acceptible for authors, all filmmakers, muscians, etc. that put their art out there for public consumption (and that we have to shell out of our pockets to view). I think the problem with SW begin to occur when it became part of our cultural consciousness (??). I believe this in some ways altered 20th Century Foxes, and thus Lucas's original vision, because now the priority was the please the most number of ppl. That's why Vader can have a complete change of heart, that's why you have Ewoks, and Jar Jar, and the two robots doing inappropriate slap stick, in an otherwise serious moment when ppl are dying. It's also why sfx and stunts have overshadowed the human element. (I'm sorry, but I didn't believe that chase through Corasant for a moment. It was improbable and overkill, compare it with the similar scene from "Minority Report" and tell me which scene had you worrying about the fate of the protagonist?) My hopes are that SW III will get back on track for a glorious send off to this series, since we know how it must end, should eliminate a lot of the problems with the last three films.

16. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Fact - 1. something known to exist or to have happened. 2. a truth known by actual experience or observation. 3. actuality or truth.

*What's interesting about these three different definitions of the word 'fact' is that none of them talk about having to 'prove' a fact. Hmmm...something to keep in mind for later. This is what

Kryatt_Dragon wroite.

Note: the words exist, truth, and actual.

Note to: The earth is round fact. earth has water fact. earth is the 3rd plaent from the sun fact.

You must prove something is a FACT or it is not a FACT. Fact the DET Lions have never won a super bowl fact.

the Red wings won the the cup in 2002 fact.

Want me to keep going. I can because I know you must prove something is a fact or it is not a fact.

people can kill other people with guns fact.

a gun that is just siting on the floor with no bullets can kill some one when no one is in the room. Opinion in fact this is not even a fact. How do you know it has bullets in the gun. How do you know some one is in the room.

17. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    anidanami124, you've learned to quote. That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

18. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Did you say something. Oh it was just the wind sorry. I was not talking to you.

You also have still not learnd to take to people with out begin rude.

19. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Behind the scenes at the AOTC forum:

[image=http://www.malfunkt.com/jedi/nerd.gif]

20. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Kryatt Dragon - "Puppet Yoda (TESB) has a higher degree of emotionality AND a wider range of 'expressed' emotions than CG Yoda (AOTC)...I think this would definitely be a cool thing to discuss."

Thats a close one. Yoda might possibly be the greatest character in film history, certainly the best non-human character. Seeing as how his character took a far more active role in AOTC is the main reason I liked it so much.

I can't say I disagree, more that Yoda looked as real, if not more so, in AOTC. The now famous skeptical look that he gives Palpatine was amazing. I found his character very engaging in AOTC, which could be more as a result of the expansion of his character than whether or not he is CG or a puppet. Its still hard to argue against the Yoda of the OT and TPM. His introduction to the saga in ESB gives that particular movie its added magic that elevates it slightly above the rest of the films.

I'd be curious to know what it is about the CG Yoda that you did not like. Did he look fake to you? Does all CG look fake to you? One of the reasons I ask this is because it seems that is one of the main disagreements between the so-called bashers and gushers.

21. flagg

flagg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 1999
    1) George Lucas is not an actor's director.

The superb ensemble cast of American Grafitti indicates otherwise.

2) Puppet Yoda (TESB) has a higher degree of emotionality AND a wider range of 'expressed' emotions than CG Yoda (AOTC).

No he didn't. ESB and AOTC Yoda are at least equal. TPM Yoda (puppet) sucks.

3) The prequels are less popular with Star Wars fans IN GENERAL than the OT.

Less popular with nerds? I agree. :)

4) CG clonetroopers aren't as real-looking as 'real' guys in suits to the more discerning eye.

What discerning eye is this? The one that didn't even know all the clonetroopers were CGI before they were told?

5) Actors in the OT worked on sets that were more conducive to good acting.

?[face_plain]

6) CG characters are more cartoonish and caricaturish than human actors.

Yeah, it's hard to capture the gritty realism of Max Rebo and Admiral Ackbar with CGI.

7) Digital landscapes don't look as 'real' as 'real' landscapes.

Maybe, but they sure do look purty.

9) The different 'look' and 'feel' of the abundant digital effects in the prequels make them 'visually' less consistent with the original trilogy.

Hmmm . . .

10) Lucas doesn't care enough about the desires of a substantial portion of his fanbase enough to release the pre-se original trilogy on DVD.

Oh, he doesn't care? What about you don't care?

11) Lucas has lost a lot of respect from MANY of his 'former' fans because of his own attitudes and actions.

And I've lost a lot of respect for these former fans because of their attitudes and actions. Same dif.

There you go, all "facts" disputed. Bing, bang, boom! My check is in the mail. :)

22. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    For some reason, this latest round reminded me of a Simpsons episode, the one where Homer has a daycare, and Kent Brockman is reporting on the ground and turns it over to the bitter Arnie Pie, the eye in the sky, and Brockman says somethng like , "This isn't the time Arnie." And then Arnie replies, "You're not the time, Kent! You're not the time!"

It doesn't really make sense but it's funny anyway. :D

23. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    To think I started this "Fact" and "Opinion" discussion...again!

24. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    *yawn*
    You guys still at it?

goldenboy wrote:
    "I think the problem with SW begin to occur when it became part of our cultural consciousness (??). I believe this in some ways altered 20th Century Foxes, and thus Lucas's original vision, because now the priority was the please the most number of ppl."

Is it? Or has the concept that George's vision was always like this been oversighted?
    George's tale is a mythic tale and such he is putting alot of mythology into Star wars. Vaders redemption is no different from redemption in other myth circles.
    The priority is not to please the most people, the priority is to get his vision on the screen.

25. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I try to raise the bar and people go ape****. :(

Whaddaya say

I got bored reading the first sentence. A study in semantics is not why I come to these forums, neither is it to talk to the likes of you pedantic fanboys, basher and gusher and non-aligned alike.

What do you come here for, smartass? ?[face_plain]

Well let me go on record as saying 'I really don't give a rat's a@@ what you think because I get 'completely' turned off by your intellectual snobbery.

I have for some time now.

Al, I think you need to take a hike. [face_plain]

You're an overly erudite, intellectual snob and you're not contributing anything anymore except posturing to show that you're more adept at the english language then most of us poor slobs and to make yourself feel better as a human being.

I don't think you actually feel better though do you? ;)

You have a major superiority complex (or is it inferiority?) and it shows.

Take a powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.