My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baggles Jedi Master

star 4
    How was Connie denied access to the junket??

She was at the Ranch that night interviewing Lucas for CNN.

And did you see the interview?? It was ridiculous. Great TV, though :)
  2. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    How defensive would you be if a message forum this size went on day after day hour after hour about how inadequate you are?

Let alone the total amount of flak Lucas gets on a daily basis from the rest of the world out there.
  3. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "How defensive would you be if a message forum this size went on day after day hour after hour about how inadequate you are?

Let alone the total amount of flak Lucas gets on a daily basis from the rest of the world out there."

i dont know if i would get defensive or not, but i do think that if there were that many fans that were voicing dissappointment, in so many ways, on so many fronts... maybe there is a problem with me and not the fans.
  4. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "How defensive would you be if a message forum this size went on day after day hour after hour about how inadequate you are? "

Every time the sun comes up in the morning, George Lucas is about $1 million richer. I'm sure that helps fortify him against his critics.
  5. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Unless GL thinks himself a God, then he knows he can't please everybody. So he shouldn't be and I'm sure he's not surprised that SOME people don't like TPM or AOTC. The simple fact is the majority of people like the first 2 installments of the PT, so GL has succeeded.
  6. Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Knight

star 2
    How was Connie denied access to the junket??

She was at the Ranch that night interviewing Lucas for CNN.

That interview was before the press junket.

Believe me, she WAS denied access.

Her producer shot back by saying something like "apparantly Lucas wanted a wet kiss and an hour-long love letter and he didn't feel he got that."

I don't think Connie is too much of a Lucas fan.

Apparently she's a big Sam Jackson fan though.
  7. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. baggles Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok , so we are talking about 2 different press junkets.

But did you see the interview???
    Completely unprofessional.
    He was there to talk about Clones, not his personal problems from 1985.
  9. RogueTrader Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>i dont know if i would get defensive or not, but i do think that if there were that many fans that were voicing dissappointment, in so many ways, on so many fronts... maybe there is a problem with me and not the fans.<<<

Dr. Evazan, I see what you're saying, but if I were him, I wouldn't listen. He wants to tell this thing his way. I would not compromise my vision for a sect of fans that are disappointed. I'd rather be happy that I did what I intended to do. It's not like the prequels have been box office bombs. He's making millions and millions anyway. Sure he's lost fans like you, but he's also gained fans as well.

Do it your way. It's the only way.

Somebody can use that in their sig if they want. [face_laugh]
  10. Goldenboy62 Jedi Knight

star 2
    That's an interesting comment about if TPM had been released in 1977. I've often looked at many failures in film, and thought to myself, if this film had come out 10/15 yrs earlier it would have been a sensation, but then you have to consider if TPM came out in '77, it wouldn't look anything like what we got. A lot of films get flak for not being first. Sequels/prequels generally have a successful former film to compete with; however for my money ESB was an excellent sequel, if the rest had followed in that vein, I would be one happy nomad, but they didn't. If you look at the careers of most successful filmmakers their early films usually show the promise of what they could achieve. In "my opinion" RoTJ, TPM, and AoTC are regressive and not progressive, technical achievements aside.
    It was also interesting that someone posted the grosses of each film. Since when does $$$ made equal quality? The public makes a lot of things popular that have no quality at all. Look at television, or the music industry.
  11. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did anyone hear about the Connie Chung interview?

Yes, I heard about it, and the cold hearted bitch got what she deserved.
  12. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was also interesting that someone posted the grosses of each film. Since when does $$$ made equal quality?

This argument is a double edged sword as the bashers are quite fond of pointing out that using adjusted box office figures, the original trilogy supposedly beats the prequel trilogy. Adjusted figures or not, there is no doubt that each and every Star Wars movie has been a resounding success relative to the time they were released (in other words, adjusted figures don't mean squat simply because it's only how the movie performs relative to today's economics and society that matters).
  13. guittarjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Connie Chung is a twit. When I saw that CNN interview I got the impression that she had never seen a Star Wars movie in her entire life.
  14. AttackoftheCorn Jedi Knight

star 2
    I watched the Connie Chung interview with my parents. She was obnoxious, downright terrible.

When I told my parents that she was banned, they agreed that Lucas did the right thing. It wasn't the questions that she asked, it was the arrogant way she behaved. She talked way too much, it was quite irritating. I believe that she was banned because of her conduct not as a result of anything that was specifically said.

Hopefully someone here has the interview. I am a staunch defender of the right to express one's opinion and be treated with respect, something that is lost at times in this forum. Chung acted like the most inflammatory gusher or basher could. She was banned like a disrespectful poster in these forums should be.

Once again I say it's Star Wars! Love it, like it, despise it, we are all here to discuss it. In peace.
  15. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "Yes, I heard about it, and the cold hearted bitch got what she deserved."

charming.
  16. Palpateen Jedi Master

star 4
    "in so many ways, on so many fronts."

Huh?
    The internet is deceptive. A lot of people think because they and others put a lot of posts on the internet criticizing Lucas that they are some huge voice of dissent imbued with the truth. I seriously doubt it. They have delusions of grandeur.

There's what, about 80,000 people registered here? Let's be generous and say 50,000 of them are highly critical bashers. OK, so 50,000 people+ a lot of high profile media critics don't like Lucas or the prequels.

Compare that to the figures for the last two STAR WARS films. 925 million for Phantom Menace and 633 million for AOTC. Who bought all those tickets? There's far, far more people that like and support Lucas and STAR WARS than hate it. They just don't vocalize on the net. They express their support at the box-office.

THOSE are the figures Lucas pays attention to. He's doing just fine. I'll bet in November he actually sells a few DVD's.
    Do you think?

It's not the dollars themselves that are important, and no, of course money doesn't automatically translate into quality.

But when the fifth movie in a 24 year old film series makes 300 million + domestic and enters the top 15 highest grossers world-wide, those figures are a clear indication that Lucas still has a vast amount of loyal fans for STAR WARS.

All that "flak" people give him "in so many ways, on so many fronts", is blown way out of proportion.
  17. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Excellent rebuttal, Palpateen!

DVD sales figures will be the most accurate indicator of Clones' popularity. Box office numbers are hard to use as definitive proof since the detractors will always claim that just because someone bought a ticket doesn't mean they liked the movie (of course, this argument is conveniently forgotten when it comes to the financial success of other franchises!). However, it's pretty hard to argue against someone purchasing a copy of said movie to watch any time they want.

And for the record, Attack Of The Clones is currently the #1 DVD at Amazon.com despite being available as pre-order only. By way of comparison with other pre-order DVD's, Spiderman checks into the #3 slot and The Fellowship Of The Ring Extended Edition sits at #5 (the already released theatrical cut is currently at #9).

It's also interesting to note that Amazon customers have given Clones an average rating of 4 stars, and this despite a concentrated effort by bashers to skew the results by vindictively giving the movie only one star in their bitter reviews! Spiderman and FOTR both top Clones by a scant half-star each despite a majority of positive feedback with a distinct lack of review trolls.
  18. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    durwood do you just flip-flop to any argument that counters anyone you disagree with?

so now it seems lucas does not need a defense because he doesnt really have detractors?

you must feel silly by now.

"It's also interesting to note that Amazon customers have given Clones an average rating of 4 stars, and this despite a concentrated effort by bashers to skew the results by vindictively giving the movie only one star in their bitter reviews!"

wow now you can read the minds of strangers!
    concentrated effort???

anyone who gives AOTC a bad review there is vindictive???

lucas would love the free propaganda machine he has in you, durwood. you can b.s. all day and night!

19. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    so now it seems lucas does not need a defense because he doesnt really have detractors?

Interestingly enough, while this may be a new revelation to you, this is, in fact, what we have been saying all along.

Are you unable or simply unwilling to formulate a direct rebuttal to the countless well developed arguments that are posted on this forum each and every day? You have this cute little habit of making inflammatory comments and then running for the hills whenever anybody nails you to the wall. Whether you realize it or not, your endless repetition of empty rhetoric and personal attacks has rendered you rather toothless in this particular arena of internet debate, which explains why people rarely take you seriously any more (as you have no doubt noticed, many of the folks on this forum have started to simply ignore you rather than futiley trying to engage you in any kind of meaningful discussion. I point this out lest you mistake our silence for defeat).

Frankly, Dr. E, I tire of your hollow insults and ineffective debating strategy. If you wish to hold a meaningful exchange of opinions and are willing to reasonably debate opposing points of view (which includes acknowledging the validity of hard evidence when such is presented) then I will be willing to entertain further communication with you. Until such time, you have been added to my "killfile".
  20. Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Knight

star 2
    With all due respect, Durwood, everything you just accused DrE of I've seen you do yourself.

Please try to get some objectivity.

You have this cute little habit of making inflammatory comments and then running for the hills whenever anybody nails you to the wall.

Could this be a generalization and a misrepresentation of character?

Could it be an exaggeration?

which includes acknowledging the validity of hard evidence when such is presented

Hard evidence is one thing but the conclusions you draw from it is another.

Remember our little debate about box office and your insistence that $300m for AOTC is 'proof' of its success?

Whether you realize it or not, your endless repetition of empty rhetoric and personal attacks has rendered you rather toothless in this particular arena of internet debate.

I find this statement very ironic.

*sigh*

I see no light at the end of the tunnel. :(
  21. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    durwood you have completly lost it.

not that i really care, its just a star wars opinion board.

time for you to take some time and regain some perspective.
  22. Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Knight

star 2
    time for you to take some time and regain some perspective.

...and to meet us half-way. he he ;)
  23. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    My vote for the most pitiful thread on the boards! [face_plain]

I think some folks around here need a warm glass of ...lighten up!

There's a whole world out there.

Look.

See it?

That's it.

Go outside.

Look at chicks.

Pet a dog.

Pick some flowers.

24. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    My vote for the most pitiful thread on the boards!

I think some folks around here need a warm glass of ...lighten up!

There's a whole world out there.

Look.

See it?

That's it.

Go outside.

Look at chicks.

Pet a dog.

Pick some flowers.

No kidding. I can leave and come back to these threads without having to catch up at all because it always seems to be the same predictable B.S.

Hey, here's a number to chew on for the next ten pages:

A complete failure doesn't make 1.6+ billion US dollars worldwide after two films. Maybe, just maybe, there's something right that GL is doing to keep some people interested in the new prequel films.
  25. AttackoftheCorn Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jabbadabadoo/Kryatt Dragon - "4. he knows that his vast merchandising/licensing empire opens him up to criticism about whether or not he is more business man than artist."

This is something that has puzzled me. A lot of movies these days have vast merchandising, yet they do not receive nearly as much criticism, if any at all, as Lucas does.

With my FOTR DVD I received a booklet selling a variety of merchandise. Also, there are 3 DVD sets available over a span of a few months.

I am not trying to start a SW vs. LOTR debate. This is just an example that Lucas isn't the only one to profit from liscensing, but he does seem like the only one who catches heat for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.