main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    DARTH MAUL INFLATABLE CHAIR

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Lucas isn't the only one to profit from liscensing, but he does seem like the only one who catches heat for it.

It certainly is interesting, isn't it?

3. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    I haven't heard many complaints (if any) over the AOTC merchandising, but you've gotta admit the TPM blitz went a little over the top. Remember back when you couldn't swing your arms without hitting a talking Jar Jar or a Darth Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan collectible piggy bank set?

Seriously, who needs three piggy banks? :p

4. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Hey, I liked seeing TPM stuff EVERYWHERE. It made SW seem even more popular than it really was. I was a little disappointed by the lack of all around hype for AOTC-- including not being surrounded by AOTC merchandise in every store. Oh well, the movie more than made up for it.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I love my Darth Maul Inflatable chair :D

6. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    It it weren't for the Darth Maul inflatable chairs, all of the fans lining up days in advance of TPM wouldn't have had anything to sit on!

7. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Durwood's killfile? What's a killfile? Has Durwood been driven to murder?

8. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
  9. flagg

flagg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 1999
    Have you guys seen Attack of the Clones? It's BRILLIANT!!!

No one who calls themselves a Star Wars fan can not enjoy that film.

10. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    No one who calls themselves a Star Wars fan can not enjoy that film.

Why not? I know plenty of Star Trek fans who hate Star Trek V.

11. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Is that the one with the whales or the one where Kirk gets framed for murder?

12. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Good point Darth Geist, but the general idea of Lucas and his tyrannical merchandising empire was in existence before TPM.

Again, just to use as an example, LOTR has fast food tie-ins, toys, watches, and multiple DVD sets. Also, the LOTR fan club, unlike the SW fan club, costs to join. Yet I have yet to read anything critical regarding LOTR or any other movie in terms of merchandising. A stark contrast indeed to SW.

I have brought this up before and would really like to hear what everyone has to say :)

13. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I am not trying to start a SW vs. LOTR debate. This is just an example that Lucas isn't the only one to profit from liscensing, but he does seem like the only one who catches heat for it.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Lucas used to be considered deserving of profit because he started out with a fairly well-respected franchise.

Whereas now it appears that he no longer cares about quality and just wants to cash in.

PJ may be cashing in too except that he's in the position where Lucas used to be and consequently considered more deserving.

14. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Good point Darth Geist, but the general idea of Lucas and his tyrannical merchandising empire was in existence before TPM.

The idea was always there but I think it's fair to say it took on increased vigor when he released the special editions.

15. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    YES KryattDragon. Thats exactly what I think. Also, when GL used to say that each movie took 3 years out of his life and took all his energy I used to think fair enough, because the films were good I could see why it took 3 years to do them. Now, with the PT, I wonder what on earth GL actually does in the course of 3 years. It seems more like it takes 3 years out of the ILM animators lives rather than his own. I wonder what he actually does other than just say "yeah thats good", "no thats not good", or "make it look like a water balloon".

16. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    "The idea was always there but I think it's fair to say it took on increased vigor when he released the special editions."

Really? I honestly didn't know the special editions caused such a backlash. I wasn't as internet savvy back in 1997.

Also, I am talking about even before that. If my memory is accurate, this has been going on since shortly after ANH.

17. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    i think the whole thing started with the ewoks, which many saw as a marketing ploy.

18. baggles

baggles Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Right , and if you think it started with the Ewoks, you either have no clue about marketing demographics, or have a very low opinion for the marketing execs that have been involved with SW.

19. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Time to resurrect this thread.

I've been reading the AOTC novelisation.

I have a hard time buying into the fact that the characters in AOTC are the same characters that were in TPM!

Mainly, Nute Gunray. I didn't really appreciate that was Nute Gunray in AOTC until I read the novel. Even Obi Wan is not like the Obi Wan in the previous film. Padme, is totally different. I don't buy into her character at all.

Never do I believe that they are in immediate danger. Even in the arena.

If they die, so what? I don't care for these characters one bit.

20. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I've been reading the AOTC novelisation.

Why read the book when you hate the film? You are very strange yodaschum.

21. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "Why read the book when you hate the film? You are very strange yodaschum"

cause the PT'S books are always better then the movie.

god i can't wait to get my hands on SW EP-3 book in may,2005. :D

22. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Thank you Jedi Learner, I dont understand you people that continually bash something but continue to read/watch/play it. If you dont care about these movies or the characters go watch Speed or Face Off of something, leave Star Wars to the fans.

23. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I read the book to get a better insight into the story, because the film sure as hell doesnt explain things properly, Jedi_Learner

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I dont understand you people that continually bash something but continue to read/watch/play it."

Sorry but I don't understand what you've just said. I only speak and read English. [Sorry DarthRaith, I misunderstood your post.]

"I read the book to get a better insight into the story, because the film sure as hell doesnt explain things properly "

According to you from an earlier post a few weeks back the movie has no story.

[face_plain]

25. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Jedi_Learner, the film doesnt have any story, because GL cut half of it out. He didn't direct it very well either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.