main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I agree with something you posted Learner and you insult me?

I was talking to everyone else when I said that I didn't understand people who complained about something (in this case Star Wars) but continued to read/watch/play it (In this case read the book to a movie he didn't like)

Do you understand that now?

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Sorry DarthRaith. :)

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "I dont understand you people that continually bash something but continue to read/watch/play it. If you dont care about these movies or the characters go watch Speed or Face Off of something, leave Star Wars to the fans."

Because they are "Star Wars" fans and they care about "Star Wars" beyond the confines of a single one of the movies.

I've been a "Star Wars" fan since 1977. I have loved, to a greater or lesser degree, every film with the exception of TPM, which I found mediocre and silly. I now love four-fifths of the "Star Wars" saga as it has been presented so far. Does that make my "fan quotient" high enough for you?

4. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    No worries

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "the film doesnt have any story, because GL cut half of it out. He didn't direct it very well either.

But what about the other half? ;)

6. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    DarthRaith take a chill pill. :D

it's a movie and all movies have issues that people find.

the book version of a movie are always better cause they have more detail then the movie version.

7. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    What about the other half?

It was mediocre at best.

the book version of a movie are always better cause they have more detail then the movie version.

Apart, from the OT novelisations.

8. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I disagree that the PT Novels are better than the actual movie. They do have some interesting scenes in them, but a lot of that stuff doesn't transalate onto the screen that well, or gets in the way of the main plot of the movie.

One of the things I wish GL would do differently is release the book after the movie. Everyone is so spoiler-hungry nowadays that any shread of info is chewed and spit out ravenously.

I believe the movie should stand on it's own, and anything else we get is just fun fanboy type stuff.

9. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    The movie doesn't stand on its own though, abstract

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Sure it does.

11. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    How does it, Gomer_Tonic?

12. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002

Remind me why it doesn't again yodaschum?

:)

I think that AOTC does stand on it's own as a movie.

It's my favorite movie of the year so far, and I think it fits well into the other 4 chapters of the Star Wars saga.

13. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    The movie doesn't stand on its own though, abstract

Huh?

I didn't have that hard a time understanding or enjoying it. Neither did my 6 year old nephew.

What percentage of the 60,000,000+ people who saw it worldwide thought it didn't stand on it's own?

Not to mention it is the 5th in a continuing series. How much does it need to stand on it's own? Most ESB doesn't make any sense what so ever if you didn't see ANH and ROTJ.

14. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "If you dont care about these movies or the characters go watch Speed or Face Off of something, leave Star Wars to the fans."

thats the point... the films are getting complaints and criticisms from people who DO CARE about star wars and the saga as a whole, and about how it is rapidly going downhill because of the many problems of the PT. you dont see any problems and enjoy the PT, good for you. its pretty obvious many fans dont agree.

15. Jedi_Waster

Jedi_Waster Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Just because 600,000 or so people go and watch a movie it doesn't mean they like it!

I went to see Batman & Robin (and so did alot of other people), does that mean I thought it was good? No, it sucked! Box office indication is no indicator of whether a film was loved or not?

AOTC doesn't stand well on its own, its just an average run of the mill b-movie with ILM effects. Its also disjointed with TPM which means it practically does stand on its own! Which is why I dislike it so much (why am I here then? - I'm here to try and persuade others to see how our beloved SW universe is going down the toilet, and then we can all beat down GL's door and demand he do it properly or not at all)

I wish people would open their eyes once in a while and stop being GL's lapdogs.

16. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    AOTC doesn't stand well on its own, its just an average run of the mill b-movie with ILM effects. Its also disjointed with TPM which means it practically does stand on its own! Which is why I dislike it so much (why am I here then? - I'm here to try and persuade others to see how our beloved SW universe is going down the toilet, and then we can all beat down GL's door and demand he do it properly or not at all)

I wish people would open their eyes once in a while and stop being GL's lapdogs.

So you fully admit that you are here to force your MINORITY opinion down other peoples throats as this is your announced and established agenda?

This is a good reason for people not to take your opinion seriously. DrEvazan, for all that he and I differ in opinion, repeatedly says that he is happy for people if they liked the PT. You on the other hand, are here just to bully people into buying into your warped idea that the PT sucks and griping about it is going to make any difference. 2/3 of the PT is already out. Even if your scheme could work, don't you think it's too little too late?

And by the way, it's 60,000,000, not 600,000. Madonna's new movie sucked and less than half that many people went to see it because it sucked. 60,000,000 people do not go see a movie that sucks. 6,000,000 maybe, but not 60,000,000.

17. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    I agree with Only_2.

Maybe if you started your campaign back in May of 1999, people would take you more seriously.

18. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    its pretty obvious many fans dont agree.

It's pretty obvious that some fans don't agree.

By the way, who's great idea was it to resurrect this ancient thread?

19. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    "AOTC doesn't stand well on its own"

AOTC wasn't designed to stand on its own. Only the original release of "Star Wars" was, due to the fact that Lucas did not know if sequels/prequels would ever be made.

Why anyone would watch Episode II of anything and expect it to stand on its own is beyond me.

-Otis

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    For that matter, Peter Jackson's The Fellowship Of The Ring doesn't stand on its own.

21. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    >>>thats the point... the films are getting complaints and criticisms from people who DO CARE about star wars and the saga as a whole, and about how it is rapidly going downhill because of the many problems of the PT.<<<

Well, complain as much as you possibly can. George will either listen to you and change his movies to please his harshest critics OR you'll have a stress related heart attack from complaining so much.

I wonder which is more likely to happen.

Just when I thought this thread was dead.

22. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    AOTC surely has made a majority of fans happy. :D
    I (and others) would not be salivating for the DVD right now, if we had not enjoyed it so much!

23. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    So this thread is back again?

I kind get fed up with criticism that some have said, such as Lucas not caring and just cashing in. How do you know that? There is no proof of that.

Yeah you can point to the movies and such but thats still no proof. If he didnt care and just cashed in, wouldnt we have 7,8 and 9 by now?
    Isn't it testament that GL waited to make this new trilogy? That he cared enough so that he could make it close to how he wanted it?

Some of the older fans who claim they care don't have the measure of Lucas, they never did. I guess this is the poisoned chalice Lucas created for himself. He made something which got blown out of all proportion, the prequels get made those disapointed get back down to earth and are made to realise what Star Wars truely is.

Lucas is an artist, he does his vision his way. You dont have to like it, he isn't forcing you to. I expect he just thinks people will walk away, not continue to complain about something they dont like.

24. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Oh drat! The return of "My defense of George Lucas..."

I hated this thread more than any of the other threads, so naturally I have to post in this one instead of the many "gusher" threads that discuss the plot and story (yeah right) of AOTC in great detail.

This thread is the ultimate. Don't kid yourselves. "Beware," says this thread, "I live!"

25. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    MEANWHILE, BACK AT SKULL MOUNTAIN -- THE SECRET BASHER HIDEOUT:

TOKYOXTREME: Doctor, this plan of yours isn't going to work. The gushers know too much. Their logic is confusing, random, yet volatile. They are becoming violent... too dangerous...

DREVAZAN: They are of no threat to us. Once Jedi_Waster's scheme is put into effect, we will convince ALL SW fans of the gross mediocrity of the PT. We will turn them to hatred. For you know as well as I, that we cannot rest until the entire world hates the PT and George Lucas as a singular, unified whole.

REBEL SCUMB: But I kinda liked TPM...

GUITTARJEDI: Blasphemy! Say it weren't so!

TOKYOXTREME: In retrospect, Liam Neeson wasn't half-bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.