main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I don't understand why bashers come here. They complain and complain about a movie to people who adore it. It seems pointless, don't they have anything better to do in their spare time? Don't they find that it's pointless to try to change a person's opinion when they've heard the same facts over and over again? I don't understand what they get out of it; it doesn't make them money to convert a person into not liking something. It gets kinda pathedic that they're continually working on a crusade that is pointless and doesn't make sense.

2. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Pooja, TheDarkSkull, nicely said.

But, why do we even bother? :(

Obviously many people here just come to nag and complain and be negative regardless if it is a Star Wars forum or not.

And when I try and say they canexpress theoir opinion in a mature fashion, they do not even understand that.

It's a sad sad world. :(

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I'm not trying to convince anyone into liking Lucas' prequels.

...okay, maybe I am. Shutup. :p

4. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I'll say that there are not only problems in Star Wars, but frankly, I have YET to see a movie that DOESN'T have problems.

Well my friend, you still have a lot of films to see...

5. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    Basher is such a negative term, how about calling bashers those with unreconcilable differences in opinion, j/k naturally. Spare me your diatribes about those who have different opinions other than your own. I not going to bother giving you a list of reasons why I love starwars, I"ll simply say I'm here, so I must like something in it. So some fans don't like everything in starwars, big damn deal, deal with it. Those who love everything about starwars don't have to respond to threads they find offense, stupid, baseless. etc., if you don't understand why "bashers" come here, then you probably don't understand what it means to debate either, which is what a forum is all about.

6. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    I think they complain cause they feel they have to convince themselves that they don't like the film. And hense why they make all these numberous ideas to try to make AOTC seem like the worse film in the world. Why do they feel the need to hate the film? It could be that they have grown up and don't want to accept that so they try this. They don't want to think that they've changed and that they can't have fun anymore. I dunno, that's just my take on it. I'm not a basher so I wouldn't know why they do this.

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    AL, name me one film with no problems. Not one bad line, not one bad acted line, nothing. Not one bad anything.

And by the way, I have seen plenty of movies, so don't go judging me because I said there is no such thing as a perfect film.

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I don't understand why bashers come here. They complain and complain about a movie to people who adore it. It seems pointless, don't they have anything better to do in their spare time? Don't they find that it's pointless to try to change a person's opinion when they've heard the same facts over and over again? I don't understand what they get out of it; it doesn't make them money to convert a person into not liking something. It gets kinda pathedic that they're continually working on a crusade that is pointless and doesn't make sense."

This post is well said TheDarkSkull, Just wait till Episode 3 comes out and you'll have the same people complaining, again. [face_plain]

They'll never change someone's opinion, especially when it's just their opinion. [face_plain]

9. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    "I had the idea that Lucas would start off with a happy galaxy, and end in turmoil and depression, and so far he is doing a great job. I mean look at the contrast of the endings of TPM and AOTC.

That is the JOY of what Lucas is doing. I watched the ending of TPM the other day, and it about brought me to tears- no joke. Everyone was happy. Now, we are seeing a war start. It's not happy anymore. Lucas is going in the serious direction.

I believe that is what was intended. Everyone was so mad that Episode I was childish"

I agree with what you have said Pooja. I wasn't around here during TPM, so I was for the most part spoiler free. I only saw the anger directed towards Lucas and TPM when I came to these message boards.

I always have felt that TPM had a more youthful tone was because Anakin is, well, a child. AOTC was more moody, because, well, Anakin is a moody teenager. As in the OT, the tone of the films reflect the current state of the Skywalker involved, Anakin or Luke.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Almost every regular on this forum, whether basher or gusher, signed up because they were excited about an upcoming Star Wars movie and wanted to talk about it. In other words, we've been here all along. There may be a few, but I haven't talked to anyone who just parachuted into this site for the sole purpose of trashing the PT.

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Had Lucas not made Episode I childish, Episode II and III wouldn't seem so depressing and moody.

After Episode I we matched the characters as being happy and at peace- and that is what will make Episode III so evil in tone.

I think Lucas handled it well.

12. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    Agreed. Lucas was smart since he knows he writes best with darkness that he set up everything as happy as possible so that in the next 2 films he could really do his best work. And IMO AOTC was the best film in the saga yet and I'm really awaiting to see how far to the bar he takes Episode 3.

13. DarthCanary

DarthCanary Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2002
    Because when u create something that changes your life and that of millions and of entire industries and creates a subculture is it really ONLY yours anymore? I dont know...!

But GL still has my vote anyway. (As if he needs it).

14. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I mean, had Lucas made Episode I more mature, we wouldn't have really felt a decline in peace, and the atmosphere would remain fairly consistent through the prequels.

15. AL

Aug 22, 1998

A number of perfect films, in no particular order:

The Godfather
    The Godfather: Part
    Citizen Kane
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Casablanca
    Annie Hall
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Don't Look Now
    Raging Bull
    La Regle de Jeu
    Seven Samurai
    Star Wars
    Vertigo
    Apocalypse Now
    Rear Window
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    North by Northwest
    Pulp Fiction
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Apu Trilogy
    Bicycle Thieves
    The Apartment
    Sunset Boulevard
    Some Like It Hot
    The Third
    Chinatown
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Player
    Magnolia
    Singin' in the Rain
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Se7en
    Touch of Evil
    Rashomon
    Toy Story 2

16. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    Hmmm... funny how I've seen every film listed on your list AL, and I'm only 13.

17. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

Frankly, I have as little patience for someone who simply says "I love SW, I love GL, every single last frame of film is just perfect, any and all criticism is blaphemy" as I do for someone of the opposite bent.

I love SW. I like to discuss SW. What worked for me. What didn't, and why. Things I had problems with. Things that I loved. Again, I like to DISCUSS SW.

There would be point to having a discussion board if we all just came here and said "Wasn't this great?" ..."Wasn't that great?" ... "Wasn't this great too?". Just as there would be no point to a board where everyone said "AOTC stunk" ... "Didn't AOTC stink?"... "Didn't you just hate AOTC?". I realize there are some who try to pull a good many threads in that dumbed-down direction. BUT... lets not get so carried away that we say it has to be all or nothing... it IS possible to have intelligent, intense, and passionate differences of opinion...and even to have fun while doing so...*S*

Shadow

18. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Hmmm... funny how I've seen every film listed on your list AL, and I'm only 13.

Well done. But tell me who would win in a fight? Spider-Man or the Power Puff Girls?

(Sorry, that was cheap) :)

19. Grizham1

Jun 5, 2001
    Nice list, kind of funny you left out some other perfect films

Silence of the Lams
    Empire Strikes Back
    Fraility
    Gone With the Wind
    Goodfellas
    Donnie Darko

Plenty of perfect films out there

20. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    really TheDarkSkull
    then i suppose you could elaborate for us what is unusual about the opening shot of touch of evil, or what do you think the hubcap shot in chinatown means, or perhaps something about camera placement in citizen kane...

21. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Neither Silence of the Lmbs, nor Gone with the Wind are perfect films. The former suffers from GCSE level psycho-babble at its core and the latter turns from a majestic Civil War story in its first half to a schamltzy old Hollywood love tale executed badly in its latter half.

I love Donnie Darko but I would hardly classify it perfect.

22. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "I mean, had Lucas made Episode I more mature, we wouldn't have really felt a decline in peace, and the atmosphere would remain fairly consistent through the prequels."

Don't confuse "lighthearted" with "childish."

23. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    LOL AL. Anyway you also forgot to mention The French Connection, Home Alone, Dr. Strangelove, Monty Python and The Holy Grail, Goldfinger, and AI.

24. Grizham1

Jun 5, 2001
    come one now AL, all love stories have female pyscho babble in them, and what's wrong with Silence of the Lambs, an excellent movie if their ever was one. Donnie Darko huh well a bit of personal bias got in the way their, dammnit I love that film, you know Richard Kelly should really have been considered for Episode III, that would have been wonderful for him to direct it, at least I think........

25. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Dazed & Confused
    Alice In Wonderland
    The Usual Suspects
    Shawshank Redemption
    Field of Dreams
    T2
    Chasing Amy
    Good Will Hunting
    Fight Club