My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    jabbadabbadoo - i disagree - i rank raising arizona and the big lebowski as tied for the best of the coens.
  2. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh I love all this "Perfect film" business.
    Its strange how some people say to others as AL seems to be that the films he listed are perfect and you have to accept that.

But no film is perfect, like life is not perfect. Perfection is an ideal whih cannever be truly attained. But can only be assumed to be attained by people. Just remember that.

I could say Jurassic Park was perfect but thas no fact, thats opinion. My opinion, which I hold above anyone.

All the Star Wars films are perfect to me and thats that, you will never change my opinion no matter your negative and condescending opinions.

Perfection is something only you can judge but your judgement may not hold water with others. That doesn't make yours wrong. What does make it wrong is if you complain from your comfy chair about how films should be this or that. Words in our society are cheap, anyone can criticise but very few can match or even better previous works of art. Actions speak louder than words, lets see some of you "critics" make a film and lets see if you can be as universally acclaimed as Lucas is. Many of us will never do that, thats the truth. But many of you have yet to wake up to it.
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    HOW CAN YOU THINK RAISING ARIZONA IS BETTER THAN MILLER'S CROSSING... ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???????? I'VE LOST ALL MY RESPECT FOR YOU.

oh, wait, sorry. :) For a minute I thought I was a gusher. Yeah, I love those movies too. The great thing about Coen bros movies is how they all have their followers.
  4. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    zeekveerko, the fact that you disagree with Jabbadabbado's idea of perfection has pretty much rendered your whole "perfect film" theory null and void.

Good job.
  5. Darth_Sillyname Jedi Master

star 4
    Perfection is something only you can judge but your judgement may not hold water with others. That doesn't make yours wrong. What does make it wrong is if you complain from your comfy chair about how films should be this or that.

- In other words, you can have an opinion, as long as it's positive?
  6. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In other words, you can have an opinion, as long as it's positive?

Is this misunderstanding for the sake of argument or genuine ignorance, because I really can't tell?

An opinion, by it's very nature, is neither positive nor negative, it just is. It's when people try to present their opinion as absolute truth that others tend to get bent of shape. It's a very simple concept, really.
  7. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    It is hard to choose a favourite Coen Brothers films. I'm split between Raising Arizona, Barton Fink and Fargo.

But if I can address, the topic at hand, I don't think Lucas really needs any defence. He did create a little thing called Star Wars, after all, and without that none of us would be here. Some people aren't happy with his recent efforts, and that's fine. I don't think anyone's saying this should be a praise-only forum.

But since bashers are in the minority (please correct me if I'm wrong) there should always be respect for those who did enjoy AOTC, and don't much like being told that we're "clouded by nostalgia" or "too easy to please".
    Tolerance and intelligent debate don't cost anything. You guys know what I'm saying, right? :)
  8. Darth_Sillyname Jedi Master

star 4
    A misunderstanding i guess.

I just think it's ok to discuss the things you don't like in movies and why you don't like them, without getting up, raising a 100 million dollars and making your own movie.
  9. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    durwood, please explain to me my theory of the perfect film, as all my previous posts on this thread have been deleted, if there ever were any.

(aside from the one about the coen movies)

and by all means, feel free to verbally abuse everyone on th forums who disagrees with you while offering nothing positive - it helps to illustrate your superiority over everyone else. keep it up!
  10. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I said a while back that if everyone doesn't agree that a movie is great, it isn't perfect.

I don't think Toy Story 2 is a perfect movie, yet AL thinks so. And that is fine.

But see, AL also said that since I said there was no such thing as a perfect film, that OBVIOUSLY, I haven't seen a lot of films and I know nothing about film.

That... I do not agree with.
  11. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    Darth Sillyname, I didnt mean you can't have a negative opinion. Thats your choice.

Everyone can discuss what they like or dislike, bcause they are speaking from their own opinion.
    I get annoyed when I see posts from people presenting things as factual and as if they could do it themselves. That kind of arrogance and "bashing" serves to make me believe that they should go do a movie like GL has done and prove that they can do something that is perfect and of "good" filmmaking.

And thanks Durwood for simplying it.
  12. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It might make sense to take this discussion away from the context of perfection. ANH isn't a perfect film, it's merely the second most popular movie ever made and one of the most entertaining. ESB isn't a perfect film, it's merely a classic of the genre.

On the one hand, I agree that anyone who has made Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back doesn't have to make any apologies. Lucas has made three movies that will continue to be watched for decades.

I don't think we can be angry at Lucas for having run out of steam. Very few moviemakers have had the creative spark necessary to generate an endless stream of original ideas that will sell like hotcakes. Most directors are lucky to make one memorable movie in a career. Many never have even one truly great idea.

The only regret I have is that Lucas has kept on making Star Wars films long past the expiration date of his creative genius. He ran out of ideas three Star Wars movies ago, yet he is still making Star Wars movies. It's time to stop. The prequel story wasn't worth telling, after all. Now we know.
  13. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    The only regret I have is that Lucas has kept on making Star Wars films long past the expiration date of his creative genius. He ran out of ideas three Star Wars movies ago, yet he is still making Star Wars movies. It's time to stop. The prequel story wasn't worth telling, after all. Now we know

It's too bad for you that the percentage of people agreeing with you is about as low and the percentage of people who voted for Ralph Nader in the 2000 election.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    What a coincidence! I voted for Ralph Nader in the 2000 election.
  15. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    It does surprise me how some people have veered from the path GL has taken. But thats what happens with 16 years of nothing. Ideas come to people, they get stuck in a dogma which can be difficult to get out of and anything new such as the prequels is hard to accept. Thats how I see it.
    And its quite interesting how some fans dont really get where Lucas is taking his story. Thats a shame because they obviously are missing out.
    But maybe I'm missing something, maybe the tragedy which is unfolding is something some people don't want to see. Maybe its something they fear? Thats probably a stupid statement.
    Lucas has original ideas, his story for one is original (characters and such) and yes he is borrowing from other films and to an extent from the OT as well. But if thats aids him in telling the story of Anakin and how unlike his son he fell then I can accept it. And as fan I like what I'm seeing, whether he is recycling old ideas or not he is doing it right.
    And isn't the story of the PT & OT meant to be similar in nature? Because both Anakin and Luke walk down the same path (with different results).
  16. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In the prequels, I expect to see lots of Jedi, lightsaber fights, clone wars, Anakin's fall, the Empire's rise, the Republic's fall, the Jedi's fall, a love story, and action scenes. Basically, more Star Wars films.

Lucas has given me: lots of Jedi, lightsaber fights, clone wars, Anakin's fall, the Empire's rise, the Republic's fall, the Jedi's fall, a love story, and action scenes. Basically, more Star Wars films.
  17. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    That's setting the bar awefully low, isn't it? I mean, I expected all that, plus an engaging story, competent acting, compelling dialogue and characters I could relate to and like.
  18. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    oh you must've went to see that Tolkien movie and thought you were watching AOTC! That was the movie that was devoid of compelling dialog, competant acting, etc. AOTC had all those things. Next time read your ticket stub to make sure you went into the right theater.
  19. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Unfortunately, I'm not a Tolkien fanatic, so you can't unnerve me by taking pot shots at LOTR.
  20. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    How about if we take pot shots at The Matrix? :p
  21. Tyranosour Jedi Knight

star 1
    GL is a genious. From filming footage of Han stepping on Jabba's tale 20 years before the technology was available to show it, among other scenes, to GL's ability to create THX and ILM.

ILM is the best, bar none.

Our movie watching experience, along with Discrete Home Theater can be attributed to GL - his THX and Dolby Pro Logic led the way for better sound for SW flicks in the 80's, and led to our ability to have better sounding system in our home than the local movie theater.

Lucas rocks.
  22. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "GL is a genious. From filming footage of Han stepping on Jabba's tale 20 years before the technology was available to show it,
    among other scenes, to GL's ability to create THX and ILM."

huh?
    he filmed a fat man in a furry suit, then decided that he wanted jabba to be a slug instead, 5 years later.
  23. AttackoftheCorn Jedi Knight

star 2
    You know whats a perfect film?

Young Frankenstein.

Scared the hell out of me.
  24. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    zeekveerko, my apologies as I keep confusing you with AL. Your icons are similiar (at least at a quick glance), and often times on these forums, I respond to icons rather than screen names.
  25. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is actually a superb film.
    I think it's Mel Brook's best movie as a director. His best movie as a producer is, of course, David Lynch's THE ELEPHANT MAN.

George Lucas is one smart producer. He has taste.

He and Spielberg have hired the superbly talented FRANK DARABONT, the director of THE GREEN MILE and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION to write the script for Indy IV.

Anyone smart enough to hire Frank Darabont to help them create a movie has my admiration. And it tells you what Mr. Darabont thinks of Mr. Lucas that he would leave the directing chair to script a movie for someone else. Darabont, I believe, wrote some scripts for the old YOUNG INDY TV show before he became a director.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.