main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My defense of George Lucas...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by darthnuisance, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The only regret I have is that Lucas has kept on making Star Wars films long past the expiration date of his creative genius. He ran out of ideas three Star Wars movies ago, yet he is still making Star Wars movies. It's time to stop. The prequel story wasn't worth telling, after all. Now we know.

You know, I'm sure glad Lucas never listened to negative blowhards like you or else we wouldn't have any Star Wars films, let alone the last two thrilling installments of the greatest film saga ever.

2. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    I concur, Durwood!

3. darthnuisance

Jun 29, 2002
    Listen. Love 'em or hate 'em, The prequals are here and we wouldn't be here without them. By the way, TROOPS is the only perfect film.;)

4. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Speaking of negative blowhards, it's well-known that the crew of the original ANH thought Lucas was TOTALLY out of his mind.
    Most of them thought the whole thing was a load of rubbish. They thought he was crazy. It cannot have been easy to slog through the biggest film you've ever tackled with money running out, and huge technical challenges, with everyone around you thinking you're ruining your career.

One of the few strong supporters on the set was Sir Alec Guinness. He believed in Lucas.

Whenever people try to discourage me, or engage in a lot of negativity, I think of Lucas battling his way through the first STAR WARS film, before all that success and wealth, and try to imagine how much perserverance and determination it must have taken on his part to ignore the people on his OWN CREW and keep going with his dream.
    It's an inspiration.

I'm sure it wasn't easy.

5. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    The only regret I have is that Lucas has kept on making Star Wars films long past the expiration date of his creative genius. He ran out of ideas three Star Wars movies ago, yet he is still making Star Wars movies. It's time to stop. The prequel story wasn't worth telling, after all. Now we know.

Who's the genius who write that?

And Lucas DID say after Episode 3 there will be NO MORE Star Wars movies.

He ran out of ideas three Star Wars movies ago, yet he is still making Star Wars movies.

NEWSFLASH: There's a reason why you see the Episode IV, V and VI titles at the start of the original films. What? Just leave I, II and III to the public's imagination? I know what your response to that question would be...but NO.

The only regret I have is that Lucas has kept on making Star Wars films long past the expiration date of his creative genius.

It's not like 20 SW films have been made like the James Bond flicks. It was 16 years since the last SW film came out before TPM. So trying wording that a different way.

Truly a facetious post. Genius. [face_plain]

6. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    One of the few strong supporters on the set was Sir Alec Guinness. He believed in Lucas.

Too bad that he loathed Star Wars later in life. He was the most notable fanboy basher. He couldn't take the fact that many people related to him as Obi Wan and not as Alec Guinness.

People may have thought GL was crazy when he was "making the film" many of us think he is crazy now that we have seen the final product.

I still look at GL as a great visionary. but his movies are getting cheesier and cheesier

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    What is happening with the prequels is similar to what happened with the original trilogy. A small but vocal minority see these films as nothing more than shallow children's films that are a showcase for special effects with no soul. The only difference this time is that the naysayers include fans as well as critics.
    In a curious way, I see this as a sign that Lucas is doing his job. Star Wars was always intended to appeal to the young at heart. Cynical old people can enjoy it too, of course, but they're not the target audience :)

8. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I agree Darth Homer.

Lucas is the anti-thesis of hip, cynical, negativity and all the other snobby things that people engage in to feel superior and judgemental.

That's why I love his work.

YIPPEE!

btw, rikalonious, one man's cheese is another man's filet mignon, lol.

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    but his movies are getting cheesier and cheesier

Attack Of The Clones was cheesy? It had a few cheese ball moments, sure, but this is a Lucas trademark going all the way back to A New Hope (probably before then, in fact, but I can't think of any specific examples).

And it's interesting that Lucas weathered what many of us would consider withering criticism during the filming of A New Hope. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

10. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Lucas is the anti-thesis of hip, cynical, negativity and all the other snobby things that people engage in to feel superior and judgemental.

WAS the anti-thesis of hip. Now Backstreet boys are trying to get into the act. ANH was different from any other movie in history. AOTC was laced with pop-culture and is only a better movie becuase of better special effects. It's story is juvenille. Make yourselves feel better by claiming we, that love Star Wars and want a person of GLs influence to be cutting edge instead of same ol same ol, are a bunch of cynical old folks.

11. darthnuisance

Jun 29, 2002
    I agree. The fact that the PT has drawn criticism is a sign of GL not listening to the mainstream, but only to himself and his fans.

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Okay, I finally seen The Godfather a while ago, and while it WAS good, it is

HORRIBLY

Overrated. I mean... no. Not one of the best movies I've ever seen. Definetly not.

13. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Whatever guys. It's just a silly message board.

:p It's not like any of what we say here really MATTERS, lol.

14. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Someone made a comment about something wrong in TPM, the fart jokes were not STAR WARS.

Let me see here, in a grand entrie 2 seconds out of a 2.2 hour film,
    Jar Jar stepped in something and said "Icky Ikcy goo"
    Later, a horselike lama creature made a noise, jar jar said "Pee usa" and then it made another noise with its mouth that sounded very similar.

We "think" he stepped in poop and that the animal farted, but we are never truly shown either to be the case, only probably.
    But either way, it is not star wars alright, because afterall in
    ANH: Get in there you big furry oaf, I don't care what you smell
    What A wonderful smell you have discovered.
    ESB: Guts out wampa, waves hand in front of nose "and I thought is smelled bad, on the outside"
    ROTJ: everything about Jabba the hutt, nothing even needed to be spoken.

this is yet another example of people claiming things they have no basis for.

Oh well.

I like the comment about GL battling discredit to him til the end, now everyone else on his team looks back and says, I am glad he did not listen to us.
    I think Bashers in some cases are people that are bashing cuz they think they have better ideas for moive making, but they do not have the courage to take no from thousands of peole and therefore can not get off to a start, and niether do they have the money to financne such a project with there own money without going broke, or not willing to risk it.

It is a strong posssiblity, not a definite though.

15. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    yoda900 - you forgot about the Sarlacc Pit burp. I concur, two fart jokes do not ruin a movie.

Darthkarma - Young Frankenstein is indeed superb.

Probably my two favorite comedies are Blazing Saddles and The Holy Grail. Unfortunately, they share the same glaring weakness, an incredibly stupid ending.

Possibly the only trilogy that may dare challenge the OT or PT is...

Girls Gone Wild
    Girls Gone Wild: Sorority Sweethearts
    Girls Gone Wild: Dormroom Fantasies

An epic saga of...wait a minute, this is a PG board right? [face_mischief]

16. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

AttackoftheCorn,

[face_laugh] Never thought I'd see a mention of GIRLS GONE WILD on a thread about defending George Lucas, lol!

:) But that's okay, I'm familiar with that classic trilogy, ;)

17. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    darthkarma - sage advice.

yoda900 - i noticed this too (the first part). let's not sugar-coat it, though. jar jar stepped in poop, and the eopie let one slip. the sarlaac burped, jabba had bad breath, madmartigan stepped in troll poop. i guess lucas has always liked bodily humor.

i don't agree with the broad generalization of "bashers"

18. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    It is rather true that now the PT has so many critics who say it doesn't compare up to the OT.

Hypothetically if 15 years after the PT, George Lucas (or his children) make the Sequel Trilogy (7,8 & 9) we'll see many people and fans -many that now bash the PT- say the ST isn't as epic and movie-history material as the PT. That'd be hilarious! [face_laugh]

19. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Yes it would. Some people always fear and mistrust something new. In time they will learn to clear their minds and accept the PT for what it is. I have forseen it . . .

20. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    The only difference this time is that the naysayers include fans as well as critics.

They're not fans. And that's only because they have the internet to voice their opinion. Damn Al Gore and his stupid inventions!

21. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

The scene in Miller's Crossing of Albert Finney opening a can of tommy-gun whoop-ass on the other gangsters to the background of Dany Boy is perfect. At least, I now know what I will be watching tonight.

22. darthnuisance

Jun 29, 2002
    The Fireplace Scene in AoTC is a perfect scene! ;^)

23. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    IMO if AOTC came out right after ROTJ the bashing would be cut down to half. People say he has lost his ideas. Well Lucas did write the story for TPM and AOTC during the making of the OT. So unless he switched from "Lost ideas" mode from "Good idea" mode during the making of the OT he hasn't changed. Also the call the plot weak compeared to the OT. Now as much as I like the OT, AOTC has over shot OT in plot. I'm asking those who think to actually re-watch AOTC. I can't see how you could think AOTC was weak in plot. Now there have been complaints that the actors in AOTC were wooden except for a few, and that they were too stiff and acted like they were "lawyers". Well they are lawyers, or pretty close to it jedi aren't supposed to love and their world is based on order, so that really doesn't make them the greatest party animals in the world. Then we have senators and congress men who have the lives of entire planets resting on their hands so they don't have really that much time to goof off. And the rest of the characters are clones and droids who are supposed to take orders without question. When you get down to it, the actors did exactly what their characters would, scratch that, SHOULD have acted. And so ends my defense of AOTC.

24. darthnuisance

Jun 29, 2002
    Well said, my young 13-year-old padawan!

25. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

The point is it didn't. The world of 2002 is far different form the world of late 70s and early 80s and for better or worse, there is no denying that the Star Wars saga in its prequel form feels dated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.