main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Email to the fool that scoffed at SW Fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by diractor10, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPREME_DICTATOR

SUPREME_DICTATOR Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Hey diractor10 & Adam Bertocci I totally agree with you guys. people with negative feedback are on the knife edge of insanity. I know because I have already fallen over the edge. you know, its not that bad in the world o the insane. Mr. Rebel Skum, you have a good point too. I would send emails to these guys but unfortunately I never hear about them until it is either too late or my email crashed. have a GGGRRRRRRRRRRREEEAAAATTTT DAY everybody

2. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    You too, Supreme_Dictator! And, just to stay on target, I agree with Augusto. The End.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay... this thread is definitely older than dirt. I wasn't even using my manual sig at the time.

Frankly I think we're done here... I wonder if the guy even read my letter?

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    He probably did. Had a good laugh, and tossed it in the nearest trash receptacle....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Okay, who is upping all the nuttiest old threads? :p

6. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I don't know if you guys saw this one but there was a show on MTV and it was about kids and their parents. profiles of their interaction with each one. One of them had this parent that was an huge or, dare I say, "obsessed" star wars fan. He made his own lightsabers, believed "the force" was real and attended conventions in a Jedi uniform. The kid was embarrased beyond belief but decided to go to a convention with his dad. When they got their they bonded. But the most pathetic part was when he persuaded his kid to get into a stormtrooper outfit supplied by some other SW junkies. The two kids Dad and the guy that supplied the stormtrooper uniform were so proud they cried and hugged like some scene out of freakin Steel Magnolias. Blech!

Fact of the matter is, is that those two geeks waiting in line are just plain losers. Why berate them? Because would any reasonable person do this at the expense of their job, life, family, relationships? Come on. Don't apologize for them. The reason they're waiting in line is BECAUSE they DON'T have any of these. Hence, they are filed into the loser category.

SW is just a movie, nothing more. People that dress up, believe in the force and worship the characters are missing something huge in their lives.

Perhaps they should get a pet? A girlfriend/boyfriend? An adult video? Religion? And no.....NOT the force. sheesh!

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Pot, meet Kettle.

8. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Pot calling the kettle black?

Sorry, I don't dress up. I don't believe in the force and I don't wait in line.

I only come in here to hassle the fan geeks who regard these movies as religion.

Enjoy.

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "I only come in here to hassle the fan geeks who regard these movies as religion."

Well, I'll be watching your posts with great intrest.... [face_plain]

:cool: Mace Windy,
    making the evasion of spoilers look breezy!

10. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Any fan who obsessed enough to register at a message board dedicated to SW has no place ridiculing other SW fans.

Moreover, any person who is registered at the JC with the intention to harass people ALSO has no place here and will soon find themselves banned.

11. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Obsession. I guess there is a fine line between 'regular' fan and 'obsessed' fan. I guess that means any 'regular' fan is not a true SW fan.

And I said hassle, not harass. Am I harassing you? I tell it like it is. Any REASONABLE person would conclude that waiting in line in such a manner as these guys takes the fan meter over to the obsessed line. Come on, be reasonable.

12. Disco_Dooku

Disco_Dooku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2002
    I look at it from another angle. SW fans are not the only ones "obsessed" with their genre. Look to sports as an example.

Football: The Super Bowl is in January, 5 months after the season starts. No one has a clue who will be in it, but we have to constantly hear for those 5 months everyone's "predictions" week in and week out about it. Then the month preceding it, we have to have half hour and full hours shows 2-3 times a day dedicated to it. Hell, try living in a city that is hosting it. Most likely you will be tired of hearing about it by midseason. Let's not forget the 3-6 hours spent in the parking lot tailgating before the game!

NASCAR: The actual races are ran on Sunday, but you have people who get there a week in adavnce and start the "camp out". There are other activities leading up to the actual event that get people there for 3-4 days at a time. Seems like they are spending more time waiting for their events than most SW do.

Look at the obsession with Princess Diana's wedding to Prince Charles. People all over the world stayed up to the wee hours to watch the ceremony live. Ever heard of a recast? Or tape delay?

People camp out for concert tickets.

Moms line up after Turkey Day for the Friday sales.

There are more but these are just some examples to show that we SW are not unique. That there are others like us, maybe not dedicated as some, but nonetheless, they are out there. people do crazy things for that which they love.

The most laughable thing I saw about all those people making fun of the SW linesitters was the fact that they almost always forgot to mention the actual reason why they were in line other then SW. Most of the linesitters (the many days ones) were doing it for charity, but that seems to get lost when you have a deadline to beat and people to criticize.

Oh well, we'll keep them in jobs come 2005. What they will do after that is their problem!

13. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    No, you're right. I think there is a tendency in this country that artificially creates hype for an event - be it a shopping day, sports event, holiday or other.

I think you're right on in that regard.

I wasn't sure or had not heard whether those guys were doing it for charity or what. If they were, then at least their hearts were in the right place.

My point is that waiting in line for a movie - in my opinion - is different than an event that is artificially hyped up by PR people or marketing execs.

The super bowl is an entertainment event moreso than a sporting event. But during the season it doesn't necessitate setting EVERYTHING down and watching espn all day long or tweaking your fantasy league team ALL DAY LONG.

Shopping: mainly towards one demographic...women. The wait is for only a couple hours in the morning if that and it is over in a few hours. It still does not require a 24/7 committment until 2005.

Rock concert. hey, I would've loved to see the Stones in concert. I have a friend who waited in line for tickets but he waited in line only for a day. It wasn't a week, a month, a few months...a year!.....multiple years!!!

I think the line between SW fans and Trekkies is blurring by the hour. Conventions only used to be a product of Star Trek. Now, perhaps because of marketing, what not, it is a SW thing. But hey, to each his own. I hope they raise a ton of money for their charities.

But I also wonder if they're wearing SW costumes while they're waiting. *chuckle*

14. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Strange. I could've sworn this thread had been locked, although I have no idea why. I must have been thinking of something else. Old threads never die, they just...fade away.

15. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    Thenink=theman!

As soon as i find out that weenie's e-mail adress i will send him this letter

Dear Sir(like you're deserving respect),

I take great offense to your article stating Star Wars fan "need to get a life."

We have the right to do as we wish. I , for instance, make sure I handle all my obligations before I do Star Wars stuff. Those fellows in Seattle are 1)in line for CHARITY and 2)not stupid enough to do what they are doing at the neglect of their jobs.

I am aware you have the right to say as you wish (this IS America), but being RUDE is another thing entirely. Understand, films are very important to our society, so some sensitivity to your fellow man would be nice.

Would you be happy if you liked something(particulary something that has changed lives and reshaped the entire not just film, but world period) and you were critizied for it. It's bad enough you critics hate the greatest movie saga ever out of jeolousy, but do we need simple columnists to hate us! I hope what I have said has struck home.

Sincerely,
    KSA

16. KSA

Apr 13, 2003
    phillip023

I speak for all star wars fans when i say get off the nets if you don't read everthing. The guys do it for CHARITY.

If ya can't do this, just get off the nets!

17. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    This thread WON'T. DIE.

Oh, and the guy never wrote me back.

Maybe he died instead.

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. KSA

Apr 13, 2003
    Let me change my last comment.

HASSLE(OR HARASS)ANYONE AND YOU WILL BE THROWN OFF THIS SITE!

You are being as rude as the guy who ran that article.

YOU certainly have enough time to get on a site for something you don't seem to care about and hassle people to whom it does.

Maybe you ran that article...

19. Danny77573

Danny77573 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2002
    Anyone ever seen Snatch? This is the Boris the Blade of posts. and I have done my part.

20. JEDI_COUNCIL88

JEDI_COUNCIL88 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2003
    i didnt read the article but all i know is that if he insulted SW he is gonna get a earful cause im a huge SW fan

21. JEDI_COUNCIL88

Jun 7, 2003
    i disagree with you phillip so ha!

22. JEDI_COUNCIL88

Jun 7, 2003
    AMEN GAY-LENKENOBI!

23. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    This thread again? The article is, like, a year old! Let it go! C'mon people!

Rick McCallum loves you!

24. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    i used to be in an empire earth clan called snatch, and one of the members was BOris

25. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    It's official. This thread will never die.

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.