main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My experience of May 16th Marathon.

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Scabby, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scabby

Scabby Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Star Wars Marathon Day May 16th

A Long Time Ago (Yesterday), In A Galaxy Far Far Away (London, Leicester Square) I went to the ultimate Star Wars event in history and it was amazing!

Up at 3:30am to catch a couple of trains were hard work and the questions popped up in my companion?s mind of ?is this worth it?. So as we came closer and closer to the square we could see that they decorated the whole place with different Star Wars stuff. There were banners for all the episodes and as we got closer to the Empire we saw an X-Wing and noticed the huge queue of people to pick up tickets and also how many people were in the square. Then all the Stormtroopers came out and posed for the press and the fans and did various things like making people get on their knees with their hands behind their heads for cameras to take pics.
    There was such a buzz at this point it was amazing and everyone was excited to get in there and see the films, my friend turned to me at this point and said ?I think I under-estimated how big this was gonna be?.

As we got into the cinema and took our seats I realised how huge the place was. I loaded myself up with my first hit of Red Bull before A New Hope so I was nice and awake (this later caused me to need a piss half way through).
    Kevin Bacon (ex Blue Peter/Big Breakfast/now radio DJ) cam to introduce the first film too much cheering and applause as he held his mobile phone in the air which was being put through live on Capital Radio. This was it the first film of six was about to start.

Having never seen ANH on the big screen this blew me away. I got Goosebumps and tingles and the whole crowd were cheering, laughing and clapping at the right bits. Amazing film to see on the big screen and the time flew by.

Got my pic taken in the 2min gap between SNH and ESB then I went back to my seat. A lot people were queuing up for the pisser at this point so they missed the opening of ESB. ESB was ****ing amazing on the big screen and I loved every minute of it. Everyone was laughing and cheering and it was fantastic. Its hard to describe but I remember sitting in my seat thinking that this one film has had such an impact on all these people here and there all getting their kicks out of it all over again.

Nothing much happened between ESB and ROTJ saw Ex Blue Peter Presenter Katy Hill again for about the 3rd time. I swear she was stalking me and then I took a snap of Richard Bacon cause at that time he was the most famous person I saw.

ROTJ starts and again too much cheers and applause. The film went on and by the time it was the end there was such an energy and buzz in the room that it was really moving and it was as if I hadn?t seen the film before and I found myself shouting out for Darth to help Luke. Fantastic film and was a great end to the first half.

In the break we caught about 20mins of the Philharmonic Orchestra playing Star Wars tunes. At first I had a **** view until my friend said he can get us to the front and that he did and I caught about 2 minutes of the Orchestra up close. Amazing they were so good it sounded like a CD it was so perfect and crisp it was amazing. I took some snaps here and there of the stuff around the square and had lunch went to toilet and went back in for Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

So Episode 1 started and it got applause and stuff. People cheered when Neeson and McGregor entered and it is clear this is the weakest of the lot but never the less I really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen again. Amazing to see the Duel and the Podrace. Jar Jar got boo?s but then people cheered in backlash and the cheers overpowered them. I even got Goosebumps at the end of TPM and because of the atmosphere it was still great.

Episode 2 was great too see on the big screen as well and I enjoyed it more so than before. Although there were so many laughs at the unintentional humour of when Anakin and Padme are talking about Anakin?s nightmare the night before. *Anakin tossing and turning in sleep* cut to. ?I heard you having a nightmare? ?Jedi?s don?t have nigh

2. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    to qoute Monty Python:

"You lucky, lucky ba*tard" ;)

glad you had an awesome day - I'm completley jealous of all those who got tickets.

ah well, less than 48 hours till I get to see it...

3. Master_Solo

Master_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    You and your crew were quiet as a tomb.

...maybe it was cus I cheered at just about everything.

4. Scabby

Scabby Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    I was clapping away and cheering at certain points but my two friends don't like doing that stuff. I tried encouraging them but they wouldnt.

5. Number11MosEisley

Number11MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    LOL i didn't hear anyone shout "i still can't forgive you for Jar Jar" but i heard you shout Jar Jar rules and remember laughing to myself and thinking it was a very strange thing to shout!!!

6. Master_Solo

Master_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    LOL I was the guy next to Comical Dave.

The guys in front of us were TERRIBLE!

They were messing with their phones during episode 3.

7. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Wasn't as bad as the people in front of us...every 20 minutes - in EVERY FILM, someone would get up to go to the bathroom! Row P = Row Pissing me off!

8. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    hey! row P ruled! well my end of it did anyway

Scabby: i can't believe you saw Simon Pegg! i'm sure i saw him but i dismissed it :(

9. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Row P was the best!!!!

As for the guy who got up during episode 3 to go to the little boys room........... hello :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.