My experiments with light saber glows...

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by MKane, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKane Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi guys,

I was doing animation for a little short I was doing, which involved a CGI darth vader with saber. I was kinda amazed that I couldn't find a decent tutorial for a saber that satisfied me. The ones I found included a illuminated cylender with 1 glow filter applied. So I started fooling around with different settings, borrowing some from an after effects tutorial I found in the films forum. Here's what I ended up with.

This is a saber model using a tapered cylynder. The cylender material is just a all almost white diffuse with falloff set to OUT=100 Type additive.

I turned on object motion blur.

In vid post, I created the cam object with image blur set to frames=1, dither-40%, duration=4

I created 3 glow filters.
    #1 set to size 8 intens=50
    #2 set to size 5 inten=70
    #3 set to size .5 inten=100 color is almost white.

clickie for divx test 1

For this test, all settings are the same except I turned off image motion blur and increased the duration of object mo blur from .5 to 2

clickie for divx test 2

What I'm missing is the nice flow of white that the blad should produce as it swishes through the air.

Test 1 is fluid, but the duration isn't long enough for me.

Test 2, the duration is good, but the white swish isn't smooth.

Am I being over critical? A friend here said it looked alright, but something looks wrong.

Anyone want to wade in here with ideas?

2. Olen_Garn Jedi Knight

star 1
    IMHO, the first is too flat looking, and at the top you can see the saber tip jerking along. The second... it's pretty obvious. Keep up the good work.

-Olen
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.