My Farewell to the 3NS Community - and a Reflection On My Time as Your Moderator

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have very mixed feelings about this post. On one hand I am dreading it ? I?ve been a member of the Non-Spoiler Community of the Jedi Council Boards for the better part of the past six years; on the other hand, I am looking forward to it ? without a new Star Wars film on the horizon, I?ll be able to spend more of my free time on some other hobbies and interests that I?ve been neglecting. Either way, this is the post in which I say good-bye to my beloved Revenge of the Sith:Non-Spoiler Community.

As you all know, this community will be disbanded and dissolved on July 19th. As you also know, on that same day, my three-year reign as your forum moderator will come to an end.

This may be a very weird thing to say about a message board, but I think that we can all agree that this forum and this community is a special place: For me, the past three years serving as your moderator have been a dream come true. Even in times when my real life wasn?t going so smoothly, I would always have the Non-Spoiled Community to fall back on and lift my spirits. Being your moderator always made me feel as though I was important, I had a purpose. After the ugly troll situations of the Attack of the Clones: Non-Spoiler forum, I wanted it to be my responsibility to keep you guys safe from spoilers for the final installment of the Star Wars saga. I actively wanted to be a mod, and I didn?t make it a secret to anybody.

In the beginning there were three. Just by reading that sentence, I am sure that they know exactly who they are. We were tight then, and I reckon that you could say that we are still pretty tight now. Not too long after I joined the Jedi Council, and the Episode II: Non-Spoiler forum opened, there were three and only three regulars: hew, Dark Lady Mara, and myself. At this time, the forum was so small that the ModSquad did not even feel as though there was a need for a mod. hew, Mara, and I would joke that we were the three mods of the Community. But, of course, they could only be one. When the time eventually came for the Non-Spoiler forum to have a mod, Mara was chosen; I was not.

Mara made an excellent mod, but (just ask her) I was very jealous of the position that she had been put in. I wanted to help helm this community. Unfortunately, the Mara situation was not the only time that I had been passed over. Mr. P, cbjedi, and Oakssteve all became moderators of this forum before I ever had my chance. I was beginning to loose hope.

In an ironic twist of fate, after Attack of the Clones was released, I was asked to moderate?The Attack of the Clones forum. :p I told the ModSquad that I would moderate AOTC under one condition, I was to be a 3NS moderator as well. They agreed, and sometime in early June of 2002, I finally became a moderator of the 3NS community.

Three years later, it is finally time to say goodbye. My goal was to do everything in my power to keep you guys free from spoilers, and I take pride in the fact that I did just that. My mission has been accomplished, and the fourteen-year-old kid who was publicly petitioning to become a moderator has since become the twenty-year old college student who is stepping aside ? more than slightly burned out. I gave this place an enormous amount of time and energy. Some weeks, I spent more than two hours per day reading registration requests, performing background checks, responding to those requests, and then documenting the results. I do not at all regret any of my three years of service, but I know that this forum kept me from pursuing some of my other interests. I greatly look forward to my future, and to the future projects away from the JC that I will finally have time to tackle.

Just because I will no longer act as a Jedi Council moderator, this does not mean that I will no longer be posting to the forums. While I doubt that I will continue to visit daily ? I am sure that I will pop in quite frequently. After all, I found this website on the very
  2. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    I came to this forum shortly after the release of AOTC. Although I wasn't here from the beginning, I quickly realized this was an exellent place to spend the next three years waiting for Episode III. A good deal of that was because of the moderators here. Like most other organizations, the tone of a forum is a result of the way the place is run. Y'all did a damn fine job with this place.
  3. Latorski Jedi Master

star 4
    This has been a great forum, due is large part to its moderators. I'm grateful to have been allowed in.

I won't forget, and thank you.
  4. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [:D]

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 3NS is what kept me coming back to these boards, I've had an awesome time experiencing ROTS with all you guys. And of course, we had two of the best mods around. Thanks guys, it's sad to see you go. :(
  5. stormcloud8 Jedi Master

star 4
    Definitely thanks to everyone who made this forum a great place to go. I can't even imagine how I am going to feel next week when I click on this bookmark and get a 'page not found' error or whatever.

It's a great group of people and a great place to have speculated and argued and joked and shared. I will most definitely miss it.
  6. Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Keep it Windy, whereever you're going now ;)

The 3NS was simply awesome, it still is - one thread over here is worth 3 pages of threads in the 3SA board to me. The same with the posters, only it's 1 to at least 100 in that case :p

I have no idea where i'm going to feel "comfortable" posting when this board leaves though :(

- O_F
  7. leelee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    =D= Thanks for everything Windy.
  8. Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm going to miss this place and Windy and...! *cries*
  9. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating, so everyone understands how good these guys really are...

Windy, you were on hiatus when I arrived here. But you quickly became one of my favorite Mods. Between yourself, Garth and stinrab, the three that have been the forum Mods here in my time, you have gone what anyone should consider above and beyond the call in protecting the citizens of your forums. Your dedication to this forums has been superb, to say the least.

Losing you is going to take a little of the glimmer off the JC. You were all some of the best to ever wield the ban-stick.
  10. JediPrincessKas Jedi Master

star 5
  11. CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Thank you for the memories, Mace! =D=

Maybe we'll hear from one another on some of the other boards.

See ya' --- CoolHanLuke
  12. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Damn good show, Windy =D=

Hope you enjoy your greatly expanded life beyond the JC but don't forget to keep in contact. You were a great moderator and friend and these boards will be poorer without you.
  13. Frank1212 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I haven't been on this board long enough to truly appreciate the job the mods have done here, but from the short time I've spent here it was plain to see that this community is an extremely well-knit and safe group of members. For that, we should all thank Mace Windy, Garth_Maul, as well as all of the other moderators involved in making this happen.

Thank you.
  14. arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master

star 5
    Thank you Windy, for all your hard work and dedication.

I have really enjoyed my time here. I am also looking forward to some additional free time with less time being spent in the JC, but I will never forget how much this place, and more importantly, YOU PEOPLE, really added to my whole Star Wars experience. All your different insights, opinions, your enthusiasm!, your love of this or dislike of that,.... its just been really great to be a part of.

I will miss this place, and the feeling I get when I'm here.

May the force be with you, every one.
  15. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Windy, over my time here you've grown to be one of my favorite mods on the JCC period and I feel I only remained unspoiled thanks to the efforts of you, stinrab, and Garth.

I truly will miss seeing you and this community though I'm sure I'll see you over on the PT Forum alot.
  16. TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Good bye Windy. Thank you for being part in making this board a community like no other here on the JC. You deserve every bit of praise.
  17. Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Goodbye 3NS forum. Goodbye ModSquad. Miss you, I will. :("

[image=http://img296.echo.cx/img296/1666/snapzprox0056ys.jpg]

*Incomprehensible yet friendly grunts*

:p
  18. Sevryn Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Now, I am unsure about what happens to a mod once he resigns. Do you become Force ghosts? And if you don't, just lie me and tell me you do.
  19. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for all you've done, and best of luck with future endeavors.
  20. Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Master

star 2
    Thank you. And good luck to you in the future.
  21. Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thank you for everything Windy and Garth.
  22. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm very sad to see you, and the 3NS Forum go, Windy.
    You've been an excellent Mod for this place with Garth, and I hope you'll come back to us someday.

Make sure to say g'bye to the other Mods too, so we can have a party for you :p
  23. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to stinrab, Windy and Garth--for this amazing forum. Going private was an excellent idea, and my time here has been great. I couldn't ask for a better forum that is better moderated. It will be a sad day when the doors close and the curtain falls. Revenge of the Sith speculation and reaction have been wonderful.

Thank You all,
    Seldon
  24. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    Adios Windy. I'm no mod, but I think I'm checking out of here pretty soon. Maybe I'll come back for the TV series...
  25. Billy_Dee_Binks Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, it will be sad to see this board to go. :(
    It was such a nice and productive board- with people actually reading the head posts before posting- which isn't the case on the 3SA board. It's really annoying there.
    Is there already thought of a replacement of some sort?

I would like to see this community on going in the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.