main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My First FX test.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Tdy, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tdy

Tdy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    Today I spent time messing around, and this is what I managed, to do.

The quality is low as I filmed it on my FujiFilm FinePix 602 on film, my video camera was otherwise busy.

So I just wanted to know what you thought, the soundfx's aren't on there either, but what's good (if anything) what's bad, how could it be improved etc
    and Please be kind.

<a href="http://www.tdy.org.uk/~tdyson/shot.mov">
    http://www.tdy.org.uk/~tdyson/shot.mov</a>

Thank you

2. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    Maybe speeding up the lazers and making them a little thinner and shorter. And of course using a wee bit better lighting.

Other then that, its interesting. Of course the death ending made me laugh.

3. effstops

effstops Jedi Master star 3

Feb 20, 2003
    I'm glad you're experimenting with this. Here are my suggestions:

Everything was super-slow. You should make each little bolt last 3 or 4 frames. Your movements should also be faster and more abrupt. With more movement it would look like you were dodging the bolts.

Also, they should not really disappear into thin air (I don't think).

I noticed the colors you used were inconsistant. First the ones coming out of the gun were yellow, but then it changed to red. The enemy fire was red, and it changed to yellow...

Thanks for listening!
    --Colin

4. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Ah the joy of markup codes
    Here's the link

I agree with what's been said already. The lasers are too fat and slow, and they change colors. I would also suggest pointing the ends a bit. Some sort of effect when it hits something would really help a lot too. A simply flash would be plenty.

But, I think the real problem is that one dude is firing a Star Trek phaser in a Star Wars Fan forum!! Isn't that punishable by a repeated flogging about the head and neck area?!?

5. Tdy

Tdy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    How would you advice making the flash, what would be the best way to go about it?

And as the the phaser all my star wars laser guns seam to have just vanished totaly, so I just used the Star Trek one.

6. Tdy

Tdy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    Well I've tried to do better with the second version, just one bit of it this time and I tried to get sound effects to work.

Is this better?

[/URL]
    New Test

7. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    You've imporved it a great deal. The bad guys bolt thing doesn't look right. The adding of the fire when it hit the wall was good but the bolt just didn't look right, maybe shorting it and making it thinner?

8. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Wow, man, big improvement!

The speed is much better. But the bolts are still a little fat. Especially the yellow one.

I really like the composited explosion, but you should fine something a little faster. That one looks like it's a scaled down zero gravity ArtBeats.com explosion.

Not to nitpick, but you should try to get the trajectory of the shot a little better, too.

You're coming along nicely!! Keep it up.

9. Tdy

Tdy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    Further attempts at improving and I tried to clone myself so what do you think?

Latest Attempt

10. Metal-J

Metal-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2003
    heh heh nice

But u have to put some perspective to the bolts! I think that's the problem.
    And maybe a little more work on the glows!

11. Tdy

Tdy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    What do you mean by perspective in the bolts? and how should I do this.

12. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Usually it's as simple as making the beam thicker closer to the camera and thinner further from the camera.

The only time it should appear even on both ends is when it's travelling directly across the scene. If it's obviously moving toward or away from the camera it needs perspective.

Example: Think of what railroad tracks look like when you are standing in between the tracks. They appear to come together the further they are away. The same priciple applies here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.