main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My first FX tests......

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AWB1989, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I have gone to this website where you can download bluescreen episode 2 footage and I realized that the lightsabers weren't lit up yet, so I downloaded them to light the sabers as test footage. I have only rotoscoped the second clip. I will rotoscope each clip to have a blue, green, and red lightsaber. I think the rotoscoping looks good, but there are a couple mistakes. Tell me what you think of them. The URL is http://www.host69.com/user/fanfilms/images/fxtests.html to go to the page with links to my FX tests.

2. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    Looks like you did a good job...although the compression didnt do your clip any justice.

click

Moonz

3. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    yes, the compression isn't very good, so i will try to compress it higher-quality

aaron

4. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    earlier they were compressed at 56K size now it is ISDN size so it looks twice as good.

5. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I added a decapitation test (first time i ever tried it) and it is okay but i will try it a few more times before i ever use it in a movie. it is the fourth link on the page. and there is no blood in this decapitation. i was gonna use a saber for the decapiation but it was too hard so it is the decapitation itself

check it out

thanks,
    aaron

6. ShADoW_252

ShADoW_252 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    looks good to me, nice work :)

btw i tried the same clip with ryans method but for some reason when i do the fanning with the polygonal lasso and fill it when i go to ajust levels and put upper output to 0 it either doesnt do anything or instead of everything going black and it staying white, it goes black while the rest remains.....

7. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    The sabers look good, but at the end, the saber kinda lingers on the screen, when it should have been off. And the decapitation test needs work, but good for a first try.

Keep Practicing!! :)

8. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    yeah the one problem with the decapitation thing is the head needs to be in the exact same position with my mask since it has hair, that's one of the reasons it doesn't look perfect, and yes, there are two frames when the saber got messed up so i will try to fix those and soon i will be posting a lightsaber vs. blaster test up there

9. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    i downloaded the other clips from the site and when i import then into AE it says the clip has an unlabeled alpha channel and no matter what i do after the first frame it is just a black screen...

can anyone help??

Edit: when i redo the saber clips i have on my site already should i keep those ones and show my later attempts for the same clips or should i delete those and just upload my later test saber footage with the same clip??

thanks in advance,
    aaron

10. King555

King555 Jedi Grand Master

Jun 3, 2002
    How did you make the clip at http://www.host69.com/user/fanfilms/images/head1.html?

Which software do I need and what do I have to do?

11. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    There is an HTML code. It automatically comes in notepad if you export a premiere quicktime file if it is save for web and progressive download.

12. King555

Jun 3, 2002
    Is that an answer to my question? I wanted to know how to make something like that in the clip, a head falling down of someones body.

13. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Oh, sorry, I thought you meant put a .mov on an HTML page. Soon I will post a tutorial on that on TFN. I will make a new thread about it to let people know it is there.

14. King555

Jun 3, 2002
    OK, thx.

15. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I will post the tutorial soon but I will tell you now that the software you will need is a capturing software and after effects.

16. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Nice work there Awb keep up the good work, looks like in no time you will be getting a lot of effects figured out

17. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I just got confused because the same icon was used like 12 times in a row :p

18. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I am changing my FX test site to here because it got messed up.

only the decapitation is up right now. i am uploading the lightsaber movies and will upload a lightsaber vs. blaster test a little later.

aaron

19. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I posted a lightsaber vs. blaster test on my fx site. it's the first time i ever tried this. i have the saber rotoscoping, i have the blaster shots (three of them), and i have contact flashes

check it out

thanks,
    aaron

20. MattesKrymsod

MattesKrymsod Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Is that Anakin? That was a wicked move!

Ok, I'm going to comment on the blaster one.

You have the basic concept down pretty good. Except your blaster bolts seem to "keep shape." I'm gueshing you did this in After Effects.

When something ricochets off of something, it has a physics formula. Not quite shure what it is, but what would help is thinking of Pool. When you hit a ball off of the side, it bounces off a certain way.

So instead of having your bolts just hit and fly off, the bolts should have a direct angle, have it fly at that angle, then change the rotation (with that physics thing) to set it at a new direct angle, then have it ricochet at that angle.

21. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    no, it's not anakin, it's one of the jedi grom the battle of geonosis, i think, and next time i do blaster bolts i'll try to make it change directions when the saber deflects the bolt. and what did you think of the contact flashes??

thanks for the comments,
    aaron

22. The_Masked_Costumer

The_Masked_Costumer Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2000
    Where were you able to download EPII blue screen footage from?

23. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    from moonz's site

24. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Now I made a new test. It's a lightning test. I uploaded it to my FX site and I think it is perfectly fine except for two things. I think it is too fast. I gave it a speed of 20, but in premiere i did slow it down to 75%. i think i should have given it a speed of 50%. and next time I need to remember to either keep my hand still or only make the lightning move in the same position for a certain amount of frames.

check it out and comment on it

thanks,
    aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.