main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA My first project

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Bayard_Lem, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard_Lem

Bayard_Lem Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Hello Everyone. I just attended my first meeting on Sunday. I'm sure some of you remember me.
    As I've said, I am a fencing instructor. In talking with some of the other members I have decided to relate the seven saber styles of Star Wars with real fencing techniques. I will be using my own knowledge as well as most of the manuals I have.
    Attaching the saber styles with actual sword styles will give us a baseline for any fencing we decide to do. I hope to have this project ready to present by the next meeting. No promises though....

2. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Nice! I look forward to it. I have been fasinated with swords from as far back as I can remember.

3. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Bayard, I couldn't find my Star Wars Insider yet, but a quick Google search brought up a web site with the basics of what was in the article.
    http://jediarchives.bejedi.com/index.php?c=fighting_styles
    I hope you find it helpful.

4. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005

Wow. That was easier than I thought. The project is finished, if there are any inqueries, reply to this thread. I will be happy to elaborate, but I hope to keep some of it as a surprise. haha!

5. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Glad to see you made it here safely Bayard! You are certainly a welcomed addition to the group. I'm somewhat suprised your project was so easy! haha. Oh well, I guess that's a good thing...

6. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    The only thing I can add here is that Form I is pretty much Kendo, and Form VII is pretty much Advanced Kendo. I don't remember where I found that out, but I'm pretty sure that's what the Prequels choreographger(s) taught most of the actors and stunt people, unless their charactor required a specific different style.

The Episode II Visual Dictionary has a few pages in the back about the Form stuff as well.

7. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005
    Thank you Jedi Clone. From what I've seen/studied/read, all of the prequel featured styles have at least a little infusion of Kendo. Kendo itself focuses a lot on efficient fluid movements with swift counter attacks following blocks and parrys. This ideal lends itslf well to form V. The staccato movement and swings of form seven I find fit well within Italian Saber and Rapier styles. Again, all of these styles have been given a bit of the Kendo flavor, but I feel that they can really grow if we don't restrict so many to one or two particular styles.
    I do agree that form I fits well into basic (the most basic) Kendo. I also believe it can be expanded to include the English Long sword.
    My conclusions are based on a worldwide approach to swordsmanship. I have drawn on experience learned from the European, Asian, Middle Eastern and even Pacific schools of fencing. In my opinion, lightsaber combat should be as diverse as the characters that weild them.

8. -JediClone-

Mar 21, 2005
    Correction of my earlier post: Form *VI* is supposed to be the Advanded Kendo one. (I didn't notice I added an extra "I" until I got home.)...

But then, I'm spouting trivia while you did a solid analasys, Bayard. I can watch the prequels, or the Matric or whatever all day long on slow motion and still not see what people are doing differently. :oops:

9. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005
    Okay, I did a sort of practice run with the forms last night with a fencing partner of mine. They all have a lot of potential. Form VII is especially nasty. I worked in some of the more complex feints and counter feints of the Italian rapier and crossed it with the agressive precision of the Italian saber. It is all about broken rhythm and creating misperception. Of all the forms I worked on last night I am most excited about VII.

Forms III and V are also coming along very well. The defensive style of Pacific cane fighting combined very smoothly with Cane sword styles. It is very efficient and very very defensive. Cane fighting was developed as a defense only with very few killing blows. Incapacitation is the key word for form III

Form V takes the efficient defense of form III and steps up the agression level. It is powerful and deadly. I drew mostly from Kendo for this form as it was suited the ideals of the style so well.

Form I is simple, non-complicated. English long sword and basic kendo combined to give it a rhythmic, learners feel to the form. Target areas are very basic; mostly the body with few limb targets.

Form IV was the bane of my practice run. With all the acrobatics and, for lack of a better word, grandstanding I think I pulled something. I thought that I would combine some Shaolin Machete with Tai Chi to give it a hidden energy. This worked well until I decided to include a bit of Indian ceremonial sword work. What came out of it were two similar styles. One, a combination the Shaolin and Indian styles was energetic and fast. Certainly not meant for someone who isn't in top condition (meaning my heart nearly exploded out of my chest). The second was a combination of Tai Chi and the Indian ceremonial styles. It became a very fluid, almost dancelike style. Still taxing physically but a little more reserved. The energy of this style is held inside, and only released in sporadic moments.

Form II is probably the form that I am most familiar with. I drew mostly from the various rapier styles with some of the cuts and slashes of French long sword and saber. It is all about blade control. There is a lot of power in it. It's quiet compared to the other forms but far more offensive in it's approach than even form V.

I also did some expirimentation with dagger styles and pole arm work. We can expand on the styles and forms if we wish. There are plenty more sources out there that can give us an innovative edge. I look forward to exploring this further.

10. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    When you do something, you go all the way. I can't wait to see these all performed and to learn them.
    I personally intend to emphasise Forms 2 and 3.

11. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Can anyone say... DVD Feature... :D

12. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    I'm planning on getting the digital video camera for Saturday.

13. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005
    Don't get your hopes up just yet. I'd hate to dissapoint you all. Just have the EMT's on call...

14. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005
    For those who wish to participate in the demonstration, please come prepared. Wear something comfortable, flexible (basically non resricting). Nothing too baggy, things could get snagged on the sword ends. The weather is probably going to be less than wonderful so something warm would be a good plan. If you have some fleece jackets or shirts that would be ideal. They're warm enough to keep you from shaking but light enough that you can still move around fairly easily. Also, I'd like to know how many are planning on participating, so I know what all I need to bring. We'll be using bamboo so be prepared to get your knuckles rapped. I'll also be bringing a couple Bokens that I have (I'll be using them in the form V demo). They're padded so they don't hurt nearly as much.
    One snag I've run into is that the bamboo sticks are more expensive than I had previously thought. In fact, they're twice as much as I thought. I'll try to scrape the funds together for everything but if anyone could spot me a couple bucks I would appreciate it.

15. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    My tax returns should be coming soon... so I'll probably have some money laying around...

16. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005

Okay, the bamboo will not work. I went to the store to check them out and they are way too flimsy for what we'd be doing. Just to test it I whacked a couple of them together and they broke right in half. So Daramin is looking into some PVC to work with instead.
    If any of you have something along those lines that you can bring, do so. I'd recommend some 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC. Hope to see you all there, I'm really jazzed about this.
    And hey, Happy birthday Jarus! Cheers mate.

17. -JediClone-

Mar 21, 2005
    What day/time is this demo?

Joe and I have both made "demo" lightsabers with blades of 1/2" PVC. I have plans to make a few more. I'd love to join in on this if possible, and I'm sure Joe would too.

18. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I believe the plan is on Saturday. Not sure on the exact time.

19. bladex2

bladex2 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow..my brother and I spar with PVC pipes and carved swords(kinda like Diato's)..we love it..I have some Kendo, a lil fencing and some longsword and broadsword
    stuff I've learned from annual Nordic gathering. Fair skill with staffs also! :D I'll try and come! I'm in Okwinan Goju Ryu Karate and Judo also. Sweet!

20. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    JediClone, let me know if you need a ride to the event. I'd be happy to give you a lift!

21. Bayard_Lem

Mar 21, 2005
    Glad to see that people are interested. Whenever enough people get to the meeting on Saturday we can begin. I'll probably be doing this stuff all day, so don't feel that you have to get there at a certain time. Anyone that wants to step into a one on one duel is welcome to, just keep in mind you'll probably be fighting me. I'll show everyone the various forms and give lessons on whatever forms you'd like to learn.
    I suggest that everyone learn form I. It's perfect for those who have little background in fencing and it will keep you from hurting yourself or another person.
    I know this is going to be exciting but I urge you not to go over the top. I'll do my best to keep things under control but I need you all to be careful. When we let our excitement get the better of us, people start losing eyes. [face_beatup]

22. Oo_la_la

Oo_la_la Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2004
    did someone say SWORDS!?!? and FIGHTING?!?! i am SO there!! finally a legitimate outlet for eledaia and i's violence.

23. Oo_la_la

Oo_la_la Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2004
    hey where can we buy some of those nifty black swords? we already bent the poor wrapping-paper tube.
    :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.