Victoria. BC My first thread!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Janitor_Fett, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janitor_Fett Jedi Youngling

Hello everyone. This is where you welcome me with open arms into your loving community (or shun me viciously). I'm new here, just like Vills. Hey babe! I guess I should start a subject here or I won't get many responses other than, "Welcome!" or "Glad to meet you!" and other boring pleasantries. Um... "Why do you find Star Wars so interesting?" I like the depth. Following in the footsteps of great fiction universes like Middle Earth, this galaxy far, far away is rich in history, culture, and its own quirks. I think that just about does it.
  2. Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight

star 5
    Now why in the name of the Force do you think we would shun you? ;) Ah, now, stop that! Don't you even think such a thing! :D It's grand to have you around, just as it is to have Vills and everyone else....so, yeah, you know you'll get a hearty and enthusiastic and most happy "Welcome!" from me. :) Good to see ya!

Dawn.
  3. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Welcome Janitor_Fett and nice to meet you !!!
  4. Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight

star 5
    ....oh, by the way....am I the only one who's been *totally* thrown off by the whole time change? Dratted thing completely snuck up on me, it seems....and now all's I know is that I missed a full hour of sleep....and I am *not* altogether amused by that notion. Grrr, argh. :D

Dawn.
  5. Rani Veko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Congratulations on registering as a user and starting your first thread, Reed! I love the user name you've picked for yourself. :)

For those online that haven't met Janitor_Fett, he's joined us for Derisa's RPG, "Private Little Wars" (don't forget, next Thursday, 7:30pm) and plays our recently-tortured Bothan slicer. He's attended two activities in the just the last four days, and he's proven to be a cheerful and friendly addition to our chapter. :)

Please continue to offer J_F a warm welcome!

Now if we can just get some of the other members registered and active online (including my own husband!), we'll actually start looking as big as we really are! :p

- Rani

P.S. Almost forgot to answer J_F's question. ;) I like Star Wars because it's a great story, and broke new ground in science fiction. Now, that didn't mean much to me when I was 6 and 7 and watching it in the movie theatres back when it was first released, but it certainly does now. ;) A New Hope could have stood alone, but I'm really glad Lucas got around to making the sequels and prequels. :D
  6. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
  7. Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Welcome Janitor_Fett!

Well, i have to say that the most interesting thing about the Star Wars series is the backdrop. Especially in the classic trilogy. There is so much in the background that is taken for granted as being there that was great when i first saw it. Me and my freinds would comment on what we saw, who we saw and what they were doing. That's why the merchandising does so well, i think. It captures that feeling that everybody has a story. That every alien is equal. Promoting multiculturalism perhaps?

I'm a big fan of stories and although simple ones have their elegance, the Star Wars stories have that element that keeps me watching it again and again.

Hope that answers your question Janitor?

Gesh
  8. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Sorry JF I did not answer your question. I was 12 when Star Wars came out in 1977 and ever since I saw it I was completely blown away. The concept, the soundtrack, the space battles, the aliens, the way that the death star was made to look so massive, and of course the merchandising. In 1999 when EP1 came out and FanForce was created a whole new frontier was started. Fans from all over the planet could speak online which added another dimension to the SW experience. Meeting people like you are what matters the most when I think of Star Wars now. My wife Lynora feels along the same lines as I do.

We look forward to meeting you JF and the rest of Rani and Dan's gang out there in 2004.
  9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master

star 4
    It was great to have you join the game, Janitor, and then come out to the event, even if it was late! :)

My favourite thing about Star Wars would have to be the mythic aspects. Right from the get go there are so many levels to the storytelling, from the simple: heroes rescue princess and blow up stuff, to the extremely complex, immense and deep: Anakin's love for Padme being subtly comparable to the medieval romantic concept of courtly love. The story works on so many levels that it grabs fans from every cultural background and every language it has been translated to: it is, for all the glorious latex mask and digitally created aliens, a very human story.

*Derisa*

PS: Mike, you and the wife have set a date for a visit? Tell us more!

10. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Hi Derisa, it will probably be around the end of April beginning of May 2004. We were going to come out this year but plans have fallen through.
  11. Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight

star 5
    I wasn't quite sure where this should go, and thus whether or not it merited creating a new thread....I mean, just for this one thing, you know....so I apologize in advance if it may be construed as being in the wrong place....I assure you it's not in the least bit meant to be so. :) I just wanted to share the good news....*great* news, at least, by my reckoning....I'm ever-so-pleased! :) As of this afternoon, I've finished the short interior dramatic fanfilm script I was working on.... (not dependent on the weather, this one, thank goodness) I'm just so tickled to have it all finally written, and now that it's completed - I can at long last embark on the rest o' the process! Whee! :D

....yes, yes, it does have me rather buzzed, I admit that. ;) It just feels so very nice to have accomplished something that has been begging to be finished for *so* very long....and now it's one step closer to completion, to finally being produced and out there and for general perusal....and I couldn't be happier! :) *phew*

This concludes my temporarily co-opting the thread....beg pardon for it....I just like to share the good news and good vibes, with you good folks....that's all. And I feel much better for having done so. :)

Dawn.
  12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Naughty naughty, Dawn! Start your own thread to inform us of cool stuff like this! :)

Now answer Janitor's question!

I guess we all need practice staying on topic, right *Brevet Captain* Mike? ;)

*Derisa*
  13. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    Yes you are right Derisa. I am sorry Janitor Fett...
  14. Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight

star 5
    In the words of Willow Rosenberg.... "I'm very seldom naughty." :D And, hey, it's not like I meant to co-opt the thread with my own thing....I simply wasn't sure that what I had to say necessarily warranted or deserved a brand-spankin'-new thread of its own. So I guess that would be a small oopsy on my part, then. ;) No harm done, though....and to make up for it anyway, I'll follow everyone else's lead here....and answer the question posed. :)

So....what is it that interests me about Star Wars? What is it, precisely, that kindles that inspirational, creative fire in me....that speaks to me....indeed, that resonates with me thematically, symbolically, mythologically....what is it that gives such allure and fascination and general, all-around passionate unswerving devotion? How about....*everything* about it! :D Fact is....up until TPM, I was never the big SW devotee of the family; that honour was reserved for my brother, although I've long-since eclipsed him in the fandom, I'm quite proud to say. And accomplishing that, believe me, *really* takes some doing. ;)

However....when TPM was drawing nigh....I found myself thinking that, gee, I bet my brother would probably get a huge kick out of knowing that I'd waited in line for a Star Wars film....seemed, to me, like something he'd be genuinely tickled by....he being the single big fan of the family at that time, of course, and me going to such lengths partly 'cause I knew that it would bring a smile to his face....seeing the lengths and extent that I would go to. Made quite a name for myself goin' about it all this way, I'm told. :D So, that opening day back in May '99....I didn't catch the 12:01 showing, opening day, but I along with a number of friends decided to catch the last show of opening night instead. And so, at around noon-ish that day, I sat down with a book and my Discman and such, to occupy myself during the long wait....plunked myself down in line....and, of course, my persistence and patience paid off - since I was naturally first in line, both for myself and in holding it for my friends as well. :)

Indeed, by the time they opened the doors for us, I could already feel the excitement, the anticipation and passion and general "Let us *in*!!" vibe of the crowd assembled behind us....the energy, even then, was already truly impressive....and wonderfully contagious, too. :D And when they opened the doors....the rush of people into the theatre was....oh my goodness, it was like being swept up in a joyous tide, and of course, since I'm tall and limber and have a good long stride, I can run like a gazelle....with the end result being that I and my friends managed to score a section of darn good seats....me in the centre, of course, in line with a set of speakers....can't beat *that*, for yes, I've got it down to a science now....yes I do. :)

And the energy in that theatre, when we were all crowded in and sittin' down and excitedly, anxiously chattering and bouncing all around, waiting for the film to start....oh *man*....many times I have since described it as a transcendental experience....and indeed it was. The energy was so tangible, you could feel it on your skin, thrilling through your entire body....it made us all jumpy, perky, happy as all get-out....personally, I was *incredibly* jazzed and pumped-up because of it, and couldn't stop grinning for the life of me. There was no better place to be, in that moment, than surrounded by all those overjoyed fans....and I already truly felt one of them. And afterwards, as I was recovering from the incredible, emotional whammy of the film, and my head was still spinning crazily and was absolutely *abuzz* with notions and thoughts and incredible fascination....all I knew then and there was that - TPM had just lit the fire within me.

I was wholly and completely riveted, you see, for those full two-and-a-bit hours....sat there with my mouth wide open in awe and wonderment....was incredibly fascinated and intrigued and involved, and *so* moved, also, as nothing else had ever done for me....it *spoke* to m
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.